Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times

Advertisements

LeBron is a fine basketball player who has had some NBA success (and he's made a few pretty good TV commercials), but I would stop short of calling him a role model. To me, he's just another professional athlete who has put politics in the spotlight too many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 01:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I don't know anyone who hates him, but I do think that public figures who do really well in their field are eventually torn down by those who idolized them in the first place. I chalk it up to moving from a state of awe about someone, to a state of jealousy and envy.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:50 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not see any hate towards him, other than the standard sports stuff starting off with "taking talent to S. beach" and later bailing, but that is just smack talk in sports.

As for the "role model"; I think that gets tossed around too much, too easily. You highlighted the fact he is very skilled at what he does, and does not get in trouble, and is involved in the community, well, many people meet that criteria, they just are not in a profession that puts their face on TV. I do not know if that makes someone automatically a role model or not.

I really do not know why so many people feel the need to apply role model status to entertainers so often, I do not even know if the entertainers want to be described in such a way, seems a microscope gets put on their life.
Fair points.

I feel as if I do see the hate, outside of the 4 links I used, my own brother told me that he hates LeBron and when I pressed him why, he couldn't give me any specifics besides "he's just a bad guy." When I told him that wasn't a specific, just a vague accusation, he thought for awhile and said that he hates him because of the TV spectacle where he chose to play in Miami and how that was arrogant to do that to Cleveland fans. That seems pretty trivial and not that big of an issue in my book. Meanwhile, he likes Ben Roethlisberger and gives his much bigger potential issues a pass, because it was settled out of court, which is not the same as guilty.

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger accused of sexual assault

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...sexual-assault

Ben Roethlisberger Settles Sexual Assault Lawsuit | TMZ.com

https://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/...n-rape-charges

As far as role model...I would in fact argue that some obscure middle class guy who (1) keeps his nose clean, (2) works hard, and (3) gives back through community service or charitable donations is a role model. If everyone did those three things, I'd bet our country would be a lot better off.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:27 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
LeBron James is a role model.

-He works hard at his craft

-He is NOT known as a dirty player

-He gives back to the community

Welcome to the LeBron James Family Foundation!

The Philanthropist

-He is a semi-vocal Christian, which should appease the church goers

-He has no off field crimes or accusations of crimes

-He has no off field scandals or affairs or accusations

-He makes it a point to be seen being a good parent, which helps others emulate that trait

-He has no accusations of cheating within his sport

-He credits other players not only on his team and within his sport, but other players in different sports

Isn't this what you want from a pro-athlete?

I have heard a lot of people for years say that they hate him. I have also seen some websites discussing this hate here, here, and here. When I press people face to face for specifics they often can't offer anything at all, when they do, they have offered the following:

(1) He skipped college and went right to the pros...who cares. It would almost be foolish to turn down instant millions to go to college. What percentage of people wouldn't take up that offer. Crap, if some guy wanted to pay me millions of dollars to play basketball when I was 18 in place of going to college, I would have taken it instantly.

And speaking of college, besides helping poor kids afford college with his charity...he is going to college to earn his degree so that his young fans see that education is important.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...-school-101316

(2) He let ESPN talk him into "the decision" to make his change of teams into a TV spectacle.

People of all income groups change their jobs for any number of reasons: money, location, new challenge, less hours...who cares if he wanted to try a different team. Is it that big of a deal when it comes to LeBron as a person that ESPN made a spectacle of the decision? He should have known that it wouldn't have been good tact to make the decision on TV, but we are all imperfect and if this is his biggest strike...then he is sitting pretty good.

(3) He comments on politics...but so do a lot of famous people (Hollywood actors, other athletes, businessmen, scientists, etc...) He doesn't comment too often and it really isn't over the top. I tend to disagree with some of his positions, but I don't mind hearing a differing position honestly and fairly stated in the right context.

Is it worth hating everyone who states a contrary position on political issues? What kind of way is that to go through life?

How is LeBron not a role model athlete? Why is he hated by so many people I run into? Envy?
Many people want their black athletes to be "grateful" and detached from the black community. Anytime a rich black athlete talks about the black community in regards to racism/equality/any other issue, people start talking like they own the athlete and start rattling off those "we gave you...." and "I pay your salary..." statements. There's a reason modern day sports is often compared to slavery(of course, just metaphorically on a minor scale).

Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I feel Kobe was smarter by taking #24. It was like he was stating that he took the torch from Jordan. Lebron should have taken #25. The Jordan acolytes should follow that # sequence but never take the #23.
Kobe took #8, Mike D'Antoni's number, not #24.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
He is a role model.

He gives a lot back. He just gave $41,500,000.00 for scholarships to poor kids. He gives millions to charities. He doesn't have to give a penny, I'd bet most athletes don't give as high of a percentage of their income to charity as he does.

Lebron James: Five Humongous Charitable Donations

Many athletes make bad choices with their millions, attention, and free time...he never has.

He says education is important and goes back to school.

How is that not a role model in society? He is successful at his career, gives back to the less fortunate, and stays crime free...that is a role model citizen, period.
I like LeBron (even though I am a 50+ year Warriors and Lakers fan ), and I think he is a role model in some ways...but not a "role model citizen, period". Having children out of wedlock isn't role model behavior...and he had two. He didn't even propose to his girlfriend (now wife) until after they already had two kids.

Last edited by RMESMH; 12-29-2017 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: ADDED TWO WORDS

Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
What is made up? I posted 4 links, one a website dedicated specifically to hating him, another where a public poll had him most disliked athlete in the US.
That's not what the poll says because it counts negative votes only. If you counted positive votes and then averaged it out and compared it to other athletes, than you'd have something. Polls like that are stupid. You could probably run a different poll (where only positive votes are counted) and find that he is the most liked athlete in the country. It's largely a function of how well-known he is, not how well-liked.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:42 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
He's a big flopper and a giant baby.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:28 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Kobe took #8, Mike D'Antoni's number, not #24.
Kobe wore 143 at the Adidas ABCD camp, and chose 8 by adding those numbers. #24 was his HS # and he also wanted to start as #24. #24 when was taken when he entered the NBA so he went with #8. He also retired as #24. There was a lot of rumors that he chose 24 since he felt he was the successor to MJ #23.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2421874
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies