Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You make assumptions that only serve your claims. And who in their right mind would FORCE a food provider to make anything for them? Common sense will ultimately prevail.
Which assumptions did I make?

The case finding of facts from the court docs state that both the baker and the couple have said that no design was discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
This story makes me sick to my stomach. Gresham, Oregon is a suburb of the Portland area. Do you mean to tell me that the two women couldn't find another bakery in the Portland area that would serve them?

Full disclosure, I am not a big fan of same sex marriage. However, gay marriage is a constitutional right and I respect it. But for these people to go out of their way to file a lawsuit against a Christian bakery, punishing people for not going against their religious beliefs - it feels un-American. I am deeply bothered by this.
How do you feel about the BBQ joint that was sued because he refused to allow blacks seating in his restaurant based on his religious beliefs? They could have easily gone somewhere else that would serve them.

The couple did not file a suit, the state did. The couple reported the bakery to the state for violation of the states law. Do you believe that people should be allowed to violate the law as long as they claim a religious belief for doing so?

Old 01-02-2018, 07:46 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
This case, like the one currently being decided at SCOTUS, is simply a matter of a state's law vs. individuals' Constitutional Rights. As previously noted, due to the US Constitution's Supremacy Clause in Article VI, individuals' Constitutional Rights will prevail.

"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlevi

The State of Oregon and the Oregon Court System overstepped their authority and violated the US Constitution.

That said, what should have happened was for the US Congress to pass Federal legislation that added LGBT as a protected class under the Federal Civil Rights Act. Despite numerous attempts to do so, and regardless of whichever party was in power, they have ALWAYS declined to do so.

Therein lies the problem for LGBTs. They can't get the US Congress to support them.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How do you feel about the BBQ joint that was sued because he refused to allow blacks seating in his restaurant based on his religious beliefs? They could have easily gone somewhere else that would serve them.

The couple did not file a suit, the state did. The couple reported the bakery to the state for violation of the states law. Do you believe that people should be allowed to violate the law as long as they claim a religious belief for doing so?
Being Black isn't a behavior. Homosexuality is. Quit thinking we don't notice your lame comparisons.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Being Black isn't a behavior. Homosexuality is. Quit thinking we don't notice your lame comparisons.
Religious belief is a behavior, and it is a protected class.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:52 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the BBQ joint that was sued because he refused to allow blacks seating in his restaurant based on his religious beliefs?
SCOTUS ruled against the BBQ joint because race is a protected class under the Federal CRA. LGBT is NOT such a Federally protected class. Read my prior post.

Both LGBT advocates/activists and the US Congress have dropped the ball on that. One has to wonder why that is...

Quote:
The couple did not file a suit, the state did.
And stupidly so. Apparently none of the state's attorneys are aware of the US Constitution's Supremacy Clause.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:52 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Sausage and eggs aren't the focal point of public union of two individuals. But yes, if these two homosexuals went to the Tidy Diner and commanded the owner to provide the wedding's Sausage & Egg cake, the diner could refuse.
Quote:
The cake is not the main focal point of a wedding ceremony either, it is served at the reception, and is one of many things that happen like the first dance, the garter toss, the bouquet toss, lots of drinking, and dancing. The main focal point of a wedding is the couple.
You guys are arguing over details not principles. The question is whether the government can force someone to do something they don't want to do.

If you support the public-accommodations clause of the Civil Rights Act(and both of you do), then you believe that the government does have the right to force a force any man who wants to earn a living, to do anything the government requires him to do.

So you both actually agree with each other. You're really only arguing semantics to justify your support or opposition to same-sex marriage.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
This story makes me sick to my stomach. Gresham, Oregon is a suburb of the Portland area. Do you mean to tell me that the two women couldn't find another bakery in the Portland area that would serve them?

Full disclosure, I am not a big fan of same sex marriage. However, gay marriage is a constitutional right and I respect it. But for these people to go out of their way to file a lawsuit against a Christian bakery, punishing people for not going against their religious beliefs - it feels un-American. I am deeply bothered by this.

Could someone please post the Biblical passage(s) where Christ encouraged folks to discriminate against people for who they love and marry.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Religious belief is a behavior, and it is a protected class.
Religion is a philosophy that forms behavior. It's called morals. Got any?

Old 01-02-2018, 07:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Religion is a philosophy that forms behavior. It's called morals. Got any?
Morals are separate from religion. We all know this very well, as many people proclaim their religious beliefs while doing horrible things to others. Real morality would prevent that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies