Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 05:14 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
So, do you lie with a person of your sex? No? Then, what are you worried about?

Does your religion command you to stick your nose into other people business?
In fact, the Christian religion specifically tells people to mind their own business, "He who is without sin cast the first stone."

Old Testament, "Judgement is mine sayeth the Lord."

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-29-2017 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 05:18 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The travesty is the behavior some put forth as being 'Christ-like'.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:26 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The travesty is the behavior some put forth as being 'Christ-like'.
IIRC, Jesus turned water into wine for a wedding with nary a question about the status of the couple.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Can a church be forced to marry a same sex couple?

I'm legitimately curious to hear your answer to that question as not even the most loony of state legislatures have required such (even though many churches have voluntarily decided to do so). That is discriminating against people who do not adhere to your religion, but no legal scholar seriously disputes that it is within the a church's right to refuse to do so. So where to we draw the line is the next most logical question? Does the freedom of religion stop with actual churches? Is John Doe not allowed to utilize the same religious freedom argument as the church? IMO, when government starts to take a position that John Doe is not, government gets in trouble as they are picking and choosing what is "legitimate" religious practice vs. what is not. Every action is not in good taste. But the Constitution protects the unpopular, too.
I'm sorry, apples and oranges. A church is not a private institution and does not have to provide "public accommodation", a business, open to the public, by definition does have to provide accommodation. It's very simple when you get down to it.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:38 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

One I started questioning her about the book of Revelations. She has done a total about face and says Trump is the Anti-Christ. roflmao
I've thought about this as well. I am not a very religious person anymore but if I was, I would see Trump as being an "anti-Christ" more than the savior of Christendom in America that his supporters think he is. Trumpism and true Christianity (as Jesus taught) are nearly polar opposites.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:50 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
This makes no sense.
....you were supposed to learn something when you read the book.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Yes, it can. In fact, that's the only thing it can be based on.
Well therefore it is unlawful.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:51 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I guess there's no freedom of religion for christians.

Oregon court rules Christian bakery must pay $135G to lesbian couple | Fox News
LOL,fox news.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:57 PM

WE are a Republic and majority does not rule. If it did women would not vote, blacks and whites could not marry and cakes would only be made for god minding and fearing people.

Does this make it easier?

Old 12-29-2017, 05:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
As a business, they have to follow local, state and federal laws. They chose not to follow them and this was the outcome.

My only beef with this is that Judge Vance Day in Oregon refuses to conduct same sex marriages citing religious beliefs and he's still on the bench without any kind of penalty that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do you feel that Vance Day should be legally required to perform sex sex marriages and whether it is constitutional to require such? This is another case where I think someone in Day's shoes is a fool to not perform such marriages, but the remedy for this position in my view is political (i.e. vote him out of office), not legal. As far as I know, there is no right to be wed before a particular judge and judges have discretion as to whether they will perform wedding ceremonies at all. So long as there are other judges willing and ready to perform same sex wedding ceremonies (and there are, and at the same courthouse at that), then there is no actual injury (a requirement to bring a lawsuit in a court of law) from Day's refusal to perform same sex weddings.

I think whatever the law is, it should be consistently enforced. I don't understand how the state of Oregon can allow a judge to exercise his bias but tell small business owners they aren't allowed to do the same. And just as you state, the public can express their opinion about it with votes and with dollars.

A couple can seek the service from another judge, but by the same token, a couple can find another bakery. Either the law involves serving everyone whether you like it or not, or it doesn't.

As for the constitutionality of it, I don't think the government should be sticking their noses in such things where small businesses are concerned. And I find it particularly odd that anyone would want to force the hand of people tasked with preparing food. I wouldn't trust them not to do something to

Let me ask you a question. What if a couple wanted a cake for a Saturday wedding from a bakery owned and run by Orthodox Jews? Should they be forced to work on the Sabbath?

What about the EEOC suing Star Transport for firing two Muslims who refused to transport alcohol? The Muslims were awarded $240,000. In their statement following the trial, they said, "EEOC is proud to support the rights of workers to equal treatment in the workplace without having to sacrifice their religious beliefs or practices," said EEOC General Counsel David Lopez. "This is fundamental to the American principles of religious freedom and tolerance."

Do you not see a problem with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies