Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:14 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

for me Liberty means not be forced to provide healthcare or education for someone else. I'm pretty sure Webster's would concur with my usage of the terms and not the o.p.'s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 12:35 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Every civil society takes some of your individual freedom away for the greater benefit of everyone. If you're not an anarchist you're going to tell me you are in favor of the government protecting claims of private property (ownership of land) and creating a system of money. As these benefit a capitalist economy. But they take freedom away as people are forced in such a system to work to have what every other species simply takes for itself if it can defend it (territory and a home and whatever resources are needed around it). The capitalist-libertarian is perfectly fine with a government that takes others' freedom away so long as it benefits them personally. You're against a national healthcare system because you figure you have enough money to provide for your own and you don't want your money going to someone else's benefit. The poor in turn could say they no longer want a system that's set up to benefit you. Your money: worthless. Your claim to property: only good if you can personally defend it.

I'd rather see some basic benefits in exchange for living in a civilized society. Like education and healthcare when people are in pain.

How about we start with what I actually said.

Quote:
Who is providing the basic healthcare for all for life??

Who is providing education for all?

If you are forcing others to provide this for you, then you are taking away "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" from others.

Let me ask you this.
Do you want men with guns (government) to steal money from one person and give it to another person and force that person to provide a service for you?

..be back later to continue the discussion. (That is, if it seems to be heading in the "fruitful" direction. Your original post is giving me an idea you like to make a lot of assumptions about people from the get go, which doesn't give me a whole lot of hope here.)

Old 12-29-2017, 01:37 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
My life my liberty and pursuits of happiness are far different from most everyone elses.

My happiness is either building and racing cars/trucks (or anything with an engine for that matter). Guns, machine guns in particular. Partying/raising hell. Working to fund it.
And building things out of wood/metal. Like houses. Guns. Roofs. Engines. Transmissions. Differentials.

200-500 secluded acres a big building with lifts, tools, and equipment. (Lathes, mills, arc and might welder mandrels foundry backhoes excavator couple old John Deere tractors)
A little room off to the side with a bathroom kitchen and bed I'm set.

Place to rip around on dirtbikes and quads. Place to rip around in a lifted truck. A road course drag strip and dirt oval to rip around. 1500 yards to shoot on. Deer and hogs to hunt. Few acres worth of tomatoes potatos peas green beans carrots corn, maybe a dozen cows and bulls. Honey Crisp Gala McIntosh granny smith red delicious trees randomly about. Figured and pear trees too. Peaches would be awesome. Trade for citrus.

Maybe a pond. To have bonfires near by and fish out of. Or a lake big enough to hit 100+ on a jetski or in a big block open header jet boat. Nobody to bother me about noise, just like minded individuals who like to raise hell. And eat good.
Shoot off fireworks whenever. Blow up/shoot scrap cars destined for the junk yard.
BBQ and prime rib. Fresh salads and veggies.
And no ATF to say I can't have this or that.
No town noise ordinance to comply with.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Milton didn't go far enough. We are slaves.

We are the happiest most content slaves in the history of the world.

I suppose you can give credit to the world's governments (and the bankers that finance them) for accomplishing that.

Billions still starve, get stolen from, raped and murdered but for the most part we accept it.

In that sense I guess it makes me feel less angry about being the victim of armed robbery (taxes). I can honestly say I'm funding the murdering, robbery, rape, etc. at the highest level ever known to man.
This reminded me of the George Orwell quote...

"The masses never revolt of their own accord, and they never revolt merely because they are oppressed. Indeed, so long as they are not permitted to have standards of comparison, they never even become aware that they are oppressed."

Because the United States is so rich and powerful, and because of certain methods of propaganda, I think it is hard for most people to want to change the system in any meaningful way, because it is difficult to imagine things being much better, but it is extremely easy to see how things could be worse.

Or to quote Lysander Spooner...

"The ostensible supporters of the Constitution, like the ostensible supporters of most other governments, are made up of three classes, viz.: 1. Knaves, a numerous and active class, who see in the government an instrument which they can use for their own aggrandizement or wealth. 2. Dupes – a large class, no doubt – each of whom, because he is allowed one voice out of millions in deciding what he may do with his own person and his own property, and because he is permitted to have the same voice in robbing, enslaving, and murdering others, that others have in robbing, enslaving, and murdering himself, is stupid enough to imagine that he is a “free man,” a “sovereign”; that this is “a free government”; “a government of equal rights,” “the best government on earth,” and such like absurdities. 3. A class who have some appreciation of the evils of government, but either do not see how to get rid of them, or do not choose to so far sacrifice their private interests as to give themselves seriously and earnestly to the work of making a change." - No Treason, 1868

Old 12-29-2017, 02:12 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
How about we start with what I actually said.

Let me ask you this.
Do you want men with guns (government) to steal money from one person and give it to another person and force that person to provide a service for you?

..be back later to continue the discussion. (That is, if it seems to be heading in the "fruitful" direction. Your original post is giving me an idea you like to make a lot of assumptions about people from the get go, which doesn't give me a whole lot of hope here.)
Why don't you answer your own question. Money is created by government. Private property only exists when there's a hired gun to stand p for you (government). Both of these concepts are key to capitalism. Do you support this.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Why don't you answer your own question. Money is created by government. Private property only exists when there's a hired gun to stand p for you (government). Both of these concepts are key to capitalism. Do you support this.
I suppose then for you, liberty is living out in a remote area totally off the grid?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:05 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
It needs freedom.

It needs low taxation, as few regs as possible.

I agree education as is to grade 12 public is good.

Beyond that, gov should be mainly military, LEOs, road maintenance.

Small gov't = most freedom

Old 12-30-2017, 03:28 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Americans would rather pay a private insurance company 12 to 18% of their hard earned cash in administrative costs than pay 2% for present medicare. How high would that percentage go if everyone was covered by medicare? 5%, 6%?

Old 12-30-2017, 04:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What is the difference between keeping $200 a month of your paycheck to buy food, and paying $200 a month in taxes, and then getting $200 a month back in food stamps?
the difference is who controls the money. if i get to keep that $200 from my paycheck, i can spend it any way i choose, be it for food, or what ever. if the government takes that $200 and gives me $200 worth of food stamps, they are then telling me i have to spend that money on food only, instead of what i want to spend the money on.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Who is providing the basic healthcare for all for life??

Who is providing education for all?

If you are forcing others to provide this for you, then you are taking away "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" from others.
Wouldn't that mean any country which collects taxes cannot have life and liberty

We have taxes in US, but we also have life, liberty and are free to pursue happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies