Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 10:00 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Having to mansplain directions to women is the worst. You try to use basic navigational terms like north, south, east and west and they have no idea what you're talking about. Distance is also confusing to them. Go "about a mile" could mean various distances to different woman, none of which are accurate.
LOL now that one is VERY true! Even right and left don't work...I can't count the number of times I've had to say "No, your OTHER left". And don't even think about giving one the map!

Not ALL women, thankfully! But enough to make it...trying.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:12 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Nope, but im sick of women using sexist words like "mansplaining" to describe something..has to be the stupidest word ever invented.
Actually I find it useful because it allows me to immediately identify people who should be ignored.

Whats really ironic is that it almost always involves invoking a logical fallacy, just like the OP did. Just follow her logic "You can't possibly have no clue about women's health issues unless your a woman". As if its impossible to become educated on certain things unless your born with specific physical attributes. I am sure this would come as a surprise to many male gynecologists.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:37 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,429 times
Women who whine about so called mainsplaining are most likely the ones who talk down to men like sh$$t along with some women because they themselves are on a power trip.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:44 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Women who whine about so called mainsplaining are most likely the ones who talk down to men like sh$$t along with some women because they themselves are on a power trip.
Or the ones who intentionally play dumb to get out of a task at work that they would prefer someone else to do.
I stopped trying to explain to them the task they should know how to do. I simply say "go to the office, I'll be in with your file entry and a manager in a few minutes." When they ask why I say "at this point in your career you should know how to do this task. The fact that you don't must mean that we promoted you prematurely and that needs to be addressed." It's amazing how quickly they suddenly remember how to do the job. And yes I do it to men who are slackers as well.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
What's the big deal? You talk as if it's something new. The forums appear to be mostly men and, yes, we "explain" things to each other.

I certainly do NOT this think should be a bannable offense. That would be a contemptible kind of censorship.

Think of "explaining" back to them as a learning experience.

What bothers me far more are people - usually male Trump supporters - posting unsupported opinions (or even de-bunked stories) as if they were fact.
How about those - usually female Obama/Hillary supporters - posting anonymous sourced unverified rumors as if they were facts, does that bother you as well?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:43 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,240 times
Yep. This thread went about how I expected it would.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I know that sarcasm doesn't come through very well in type... however, for you to actually believe that painfully obvious sarcasm as being serious and running with it shows how willing you are to believe utter nonsense, as long as it fits in your tiny little box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Again, there are enough people in this forum who do hold these beliefs that those who are being sarcastic should note it. One easy convention for doing it in type is to put /s after it.
You are simply using the very very few (who might) to excuse your own irrational bias. It's painfully obvious how you feel about men, so why bother?

You are as much a part of the problem as they are, whether you believe it or not.
Quote:
It's obvious that this is the case. Like I said; they create a talking point to attack every man and then claim that if any man tries to defend himself he is the problem"... this is the progressive way of winning every argument. It's a sick authoritarian/totalitarian mindset with a dash of fascism thrown in for good measure.

When a group of people remove all dialogue by crushing any decent of thought, THEY become the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Using terms like *mansplaining* is just a form of womanipulation.

Wouldn't that literally be MANinpulating?

Last edited by steven_h; 12-31-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-31-2017, 12:14 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Quote:
Oh you mean like the men here who are talking down to women? Some women are power tripping like these guys?

Old 12-31-2017, 12:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
At first, I thought mansplaining was when a dude sits down & spreads his knees apart to take up space. Some guy next to me at a Foo Fighters concert did that, getting in my space. So I simply made sure I was dancing & moving around in HIS space. I think he finally got it.

I have a male coworker who gets easily frustrated & exasperated at people. He'll then put on this tone of voice like he's talking to a child. I like the guy but he does it often to the point where I finally said to him "Hey, don't talk to me like that. I'm tired of your mood swings". He hasn't talked to me like that since.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:27 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You are simply using the very very few (who might) to excuse your own irrational bias. It's painfully obvious how you feel about men, so why bother?

You are as much a part of the problem as they are, whether you believe it or not.

It's obvious that this is the case. Like I said; they create a talking point to attack every man and then claim that if any man tries to defend himself he is the problem"... this is the progressive way of winning every argument. It's a sick authoritarian/totalitarian mindset with a dash of fascism thrown in for good measure.

When a group of people remove all dialogue by crushing any decent of thought, THEY become the problem.

Wouldn't that literally be MANinpulating?
You think you know how I feel about men in general from this one interaction? That’s laughable. We have had threads here about repealing the 19th, about how bad all of feminism is (not the third wave stuff, just the basic concepts) and the like. So when people on an Internet forum where this happens say stuff without any indication of sarcasm, it is not unreasonable to think they might think actually believe it. So they later say they’re joking...then I have more information.

I am no liberal. No rabid feminist. No anything like that. I don’t march. I’m married to a dude. Get along fine with them in general. I just believe in the basic and rational level that just maybe, women should get to decide their own destiny, like own property and hold jobs. That kind of thing.

I just get tired when people think the proper response (to the general idea of the far out there stuff) isn’t hey, let’s get it settled to a reasonable middle ground, it’s we need take it all away again. Both ideas are goofy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies