Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party values education more?
Democrats 110 74.32%
Republicans 38 25.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 03:04 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
The most emotionally maladjusted people I've ever come across are home-schooled. They have very little idea how to interact with their peers because they're sequestered at home with mom all day. They're also the most stupid because their parents didn't understand the concepts they were trying to teach. Very few people are qualified to teach all of the subjects covered in a traditional secondary education.
Have you ever researched the statistics comparing homeschool to public school?

Homeschooled children are better-educated, score higher on tests, are more successful, make more money, are more likely to get married, are less-likely to live in poverty, are happier, healthier, etc, etc, etc.

This is part of why the rates of homeschooling have nearly doubled since 2005.

Homeschooling is more popular than ever but still widely ignored - Business Insider

Everyone knows the public schools are terrible, which is why anyone who can afford to, takes their children out of public schools as quickly as they can, and puts them in private schools. And nowhere is private school more common than in liberal cities such as New York, Chicago, etc.

Only poor people and SJW's send their kids to the garbage public schools. And if you can't afford private schools, but aren't completely broke, you move to the suburbs and take your kids to where there are "good schools", which is just a code-word for "Where there are no poor people"(preferably with no blacks or Hispanics).

But all of this aside, I don't even care that much about how "successful" kids are, in terms of dollars. I am far more concerned with which type of school makes "good people".

Other than SJW's, no one believes that sending kids to public school makes them better people. Sane people realize that generally-speaking, a homeschooled child will almost-always be better-behaved and more respectful than a kid sent off to public school(IE homeschooled kids have better morals, which should be obvious).

Last edited by Redshadowz; 12-31-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And a handful of them came from homeschooling, sent to HS because the subject matter gets more specialized at that level.
Obviously if the parents are incapable of understanding the subject matter, they will have a difficult time teaching it to their children. I would say that the only subject that should ever be beyond the ability of the average parent, is high-level math.

But honestly, what percentage of high-schoolers even retain their mathematical knowledge? And how many occupations require it?

For that matter, a significant portion of high-school graduates can't even do the math anyway. They are just told to plug some numbers into a calculator, and repeat the process until their work is done. They never really understood it in the first place. Not even considering the many high-school graduates who get placed in remedial classes, which are practically the equivalent of grade school math.

I mean, I would bet a majority of adults who are high-school graduates right now, couldn't even pass the GED.

Quote:
Your negative, pessimistic view is one that's been fed to you by a politically biased media with an agenda that you're too far assimilated into for you to have anything in the same zipcode as a balanced viewpoint.
I don't base any of my opinions on "the media". The only times I use the media at all, is as supporting evidence for some intuition I had about a topic.

I am not an ideologue, and if you read my posts here, you'll see that I do not take sides.

What you first need to understand, is why the public education exists in the first place. And let me give you a hint, the public education was created by the government, for the benefit of the government. That isn't to say that the people can't benefit from it as well, but it wasn't created to benefit the people. And this tension between the "national" or "political" interests and the interests of the common people, is why the education system appears to most of us to be so dysfunctional, and yet there is no real will to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omx5KrRVkMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdNAUJWJN08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V26ABKDwssM

Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Your extreme stilted views are way out of bounds and not consistent with reality.

But, carry on.

Your opinion is yours.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Your extreme stilted views are way out of bounds and not consistent with reality.
Can you point out where I was wrong? Do I need to provide more facts and evidence? I will gladly do so.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz
I detest the public-education system and consider it child-abuse for anyone to send their kids there.
You gave it all away right there.

As I said, I taught in large urban public high schools. I have no concerns about today's kids going on to become productive citizens with more than handful of exceptions. My students went on to excel at some of the nations' (and the world's) most prestigious universities. They've gone on to careers in computer science, medicine, engineering, the arts, law, you name it. Others are now serving in combat after being commissioned at the military academies. Many others are serving in the enlisted ranks.

Of course, you can hold on to your negativity if it brings you some sort of satisfaction.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
As I said, I taught in large urban public high schools. I have no concerns about today's kids going on to become productive citizens with more than handful of exceptions. My students went on to excel at some of the nations' (and the world's) most prestigious universities. They've gone on to cvareers in computer science, medicine, engineering, the arts, law, you name it. Others are now serving in combat after being commissioned at the military academies.
Are you going to sit there and say that the average kid who goes to public school is better off than the average kid who is homeschooled or goes to private school?

We can debate whether public school is so bad that it is tantamount to "child abuse"(which I believe it is, you do not), but no sane person would put their children in public school if they either had the means to send their children to private school, or had the patience, ability, and the time to educate them themselves.

Can we at least agree on that?

P.S. I am not saying that teachers are bad people. I am complaining about the system. So don't take what I am saying as an insult. If you had watched the first video, it discusses how many teachers try really hard to educate the kids, and often become disillusioned because of that system. And a lot of the best teachers quit teaching because they realize what the education system is really like.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Are you going to sit there and say that the average kid who goes to public school is better off than the average kid who is homeschooled or goes to private school?
Are you trying to argue that the products of homeschooling or private schools are somehow better off than the graduates of public schools?

Quote:
We can debate whether public school is so bad that it is tantamount to "child abuse"(which I believe it is, you do not), but no sane person would put their children in public school if they either had the means to send their children to private school, or had the patience, ability, and the time to educate them themselves.

Can we at least agree on that?
Nope.

I've been there and seen it first hand for many years.

You're welcome to hold your extreme and misinformed opinion.

I fully grasp that nothing I say will sway your view and that's not why I'm posting here.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to argue that the products of homeschooling or private schools are somehow better off than the graduates of public schools?
On average kids who go to public school do far worse than anyone else.

https://www.parentingscience.com/hom...-outcomes.html

https://wehavekids.com/education/Do-...etter-on-Tests

Does that mean every child sent to a public school does poorly, and every child who is homeschooled does well? Obviously not.

But generally-speaking, the children who do well in public-schools are those children with SIGNIFICANT parental involvement in their education. And this high rate of parental involvement is what translates into high achievements rates for homeschoolers as well.

Quote:
I fully grasp that nothing I say will sway your view and that's not why I'm posting here.
If public school was so great, why does private school even exist? And why are liberal cities, like New York City, the ones with the highest rates of private-school enrollment?

If there were no deficiencies in the public schools, why wouldn't everyone want to send their kids there?

As I said, we can debate whether public schools are bad enough to warrant my claim that anyone who sends their child to a public school is committing child-abuse, but only stupid people would think that public schools are "just as good" as the alternatives.

They're not. And you know they're not. So why do you insist on arguing with me?

Old 12-31-2017, 03:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Everyone knows the public schools are terrible, which is why anyone who can afford to, takes their children out of public schools as quickly as they can, and puts them in private schools.
Not true of all public schools. However it is true of public schools in big dysfunctional districts. Any district with over 100K kids should be broken up

Old 12-31-2017, 04:02 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
^^^ I think you just gave us our answer. We see posts, like yours, all the time on here where the Right thinks education is akin to brainwashing. Getting people information and an education is evil ! They see colleges as institutions of the Left, where kids go in and come out as whackos.

Got news for you, ALL information is good and ALL education is good. God gave us a brain to sort out the wheat from the chaff , and make up our own minds about what we want to believe and what we don't.
^^^ I think you just gave us our answer. We see posts, like yours, all the time on here where the left makes things up because they can't defend the failure of big government in education. Getting people the truth is evil! They see the overwhelming debt and sub par education as a good thing.

Got news for you, the TRUTH is good and ALL TRUTH is good. God gave us a brain to sort out the wheat from the chaff, and make up our own minds about what we want to believe and what we don't and we do know that ever since the big government Department of Education came into existance our standing in education compared to the rest of the world has gone downhill. And you want more of that?
Is it any wonder those in Congress put their kids in private schools? They aren't dumb but they know enough of the people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies