Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party values education more?
Democrats 110 74.32%
Republicans 38 25.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times

Advertisements

A person with a college education takes his/her car to a service center to be fixed, by someone who never went to college, or they want a house built, maybe they want a pool installed, everyone is educated, it's just a matter of degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
The elite of both parties value college and want college for their children.

The rank and file of the GOP may be mainly white non-college grads and resent college grads as a group, but almost invariably they end up voting for college grads, because virtually everyone elected to political office rises from an occupation that requires a college background.

Not too many plumbers are elected to Congress.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The elite of both parties value college and want college for their children.

The rank and file of the GOP may be mainly white non-college grads and resent college grads as a group, but almost invariably they end up voting for college grads, because virtually everyone elected to political office rises from an occupation that requires a college background.

Not too many plumbers are elected to Congress.
I've never met a poor plumber.

I've never met anyone who wasn't THRILLED to see the plumber at the door when needed.

Going to college doesn't make you smart. It doesn't make you helpful either. Plumbers provide a valid and NEEDED service.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:05 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
A person with a college education takes his/her car to a service center to be fixed, by someone who never went to college, or they want a house built, maybe they want a pool installed, everyone is educated, it's just a matter of degree.
I know mostly college educated people with a degree and they many make more money in a skilled occupation owning their own businesses and didn't need a college education to begin with.

For instance a teacher who hated being a teacher, wound up in PA owning a rock quarry running decorative rocks over the road owning the trucks. His land is being leased for fracking and making a nice extra bonus . He has money to burn .

Another college educated guy graduated wound up also going to a computer school and then graduated. No good paying jobs available. Trained as a PDR tech and owns his own business and making money he never thought he would with some good contracts with car rental agencies.

Another millionaire fellow buys and sells trees to the wealthy and also landscaping services owning many farms and lives in an ultra huge mansion. He owns prime land in NJ . Has a few businesses but works his butt off to get where he is today. It is nothing for one of his wealthy clients to spend 50 k on specialty landscaping to surround their mansion.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What bubble do you live in? This is the oddest claim I've ever seen on this board? What does this even mean?
They are 100% behind transgenderism and ensuring that elementary school kids are fully aware that boys aren't boys and girls aren't girls. You get to pick.

So yeah ... completely anti-science targeted at school kids.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:16 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Thanks for your critique. I'll pass it on to my relative who is getting a masters at Juilliard. It is worthless. He could have picked up that stuff on his own.

Knowledge and talent are something anybody can absorb on their way to a lucrative STEM degree.
https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...hool/outcomes/

I hope they tip well at Starbucks.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:15 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Thanks for your critique. I'll pass it on to my relative who is getting a masters at Juilliard. It is worthless. He could have picked up that stuff on his own.

Knowledge and talent are something anybody can absorb on their way to a lucrative STEM degree.
So, you're saying that the unwashed masses won't be able to enjoy the music created by your relative unless we go to Julliard? You 100% completely, totally don't get it and are NOT a friend of the arts.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:20 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Judging by what I saw, Republicans value only education that's practical, and for sure will bring money, while Democrats are for ALL kinds of education.
So it's really not about who "values it more" - it's about who values what education exactly...
Interesting point.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:24 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Democrats because they see it as a means to brainwash kids.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:34 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Republicans because they empower the parents to select the best school for their children and not force them into bad schools to protect crappy teachers as Democrats do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies