Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be charged with murder?
The 911 Caller 17 42.50%
The Police officer on "administration leave" 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

A “swatting” incident in Kansas turned deadly when cops responded to the faux 911 call and shot an innocent 28-year-old man, it was revealed on Friday.

The tragedy unfolded when a “Call of Duty” player made a phony call to Wichita police after fighting over a bet at about 6 p.m. on Thursday, police said.

The prankster claimed he had just shot his dad and was holding his mom and brother hostage, Wichita deputy police chief Troy Livingston told reporters.

He then gave police the address of his nemesis.

When officers arrived, they surrounded the house where they were told a possible shooting had taken place.

Andrew Finch walked out the front door. He raised and dropped his hands multiple times before an officer opened fire, killing him with one shot.

Wow. Sounds like police were a little trigger happy on this call. Who should be charged with murder?

https://nypost.com/2017/12/29/prank-...lice-shooting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 11:36 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Default Cops Kill Man Answering his Door

Apparently he was "swatted" by an anonymous caller
Police kill a man at his home while responding to a fake call - CNN

Quote:
In the prank call, the caller said someone had an argument with their mother; that the dad was accidentally shot; and that a brother, a sister and the mother were held hostage, Wichita police Deputy Chief Troy Livingston said.
"We learned through that call that the father was deceased, shot in the head. So that's the information we were working off of," Livingston said. "Our officers came here preparing for a hostage situation. Several got in position. A male came to the front door, and one of our officers discharged his weapon."
Police shot Finch after they say he moved his hands to his waistline, Livingston said. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died. Livingston said Finch was not armed.
Sorry unacceptable. Your poorly trained trigger happy goons shot an unarmed man, in his own home, minding his own business while innocently reaching for his waistline. Charges should be filed against the officer/s who shot the victim.
Quote:
Livingston called the shooting "tragic and senseless."
"The irresponsible actions of a prankster put people's lives at risk," he said Friday. "The incident is a nightmare for everyone involved, including the family and our police department. Due to the actions of a prankster, we have an innocent victim. If the false police call had not been made, we would not have been there."
yes, tragic and senseless, but notice the lack of acknowledge by this boob for of any departmental responsibility in shooting a guy answering his door. He should be tossed out of a job too.
Im all for gun control ... for cops.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:36 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A “swatting” incident in Kansas turned deadly when cops responded to the faux 911 call and shot an innocent 28-year-old man, it was revealed on Friday.

The tragedy unfolded when a “Call of Duty” player made a phony call to Wichita police after fighting over a bet at about 6 p.m. on Thursday, police said.

The prankster claimed he had just shot his dad and was holding his mom and brother hostage, Wichita deputy police chief Troy Livingston told reporters.

He then gave police the address of his nemesis.

When officers arrived, they surrounded the house where they were told a possible shooting had taken place.

Andrew Finch walked out the front door. He raised and dropped his hands multiple times before an officer opened fire, killing him with one shot.

Wow. Sounds like police were a little trigger happy on this call. Who should be charged with murder?

https://nypost.com/2017/12/29/prank-...lice-shooting/
The caller. The cop.

That happened in Spokane a few years back. House surrounded, TV cameras there, guy came out with hands raised. PD opened fire, murdered him very dead.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:40 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I voted caller.

I'm pretty quick to call out bad police shootings, but without video evidence it doesn't sound like the police officer did anything wrong if the guy was repeatedly putting his hands down. You really got to pay attention and be good at playing simon says nowadays if you want to survive an encounter with American police.

This further proves that my theory I formed after the Daniel shaver video that it's best to ignore all of the cops commands and just lie flat on the ground and stay completely still and frozen in place and make them come to you to arrest you. Of course this is no guarantee of survival. I have no doubts that some American cops out there would gladly shoot someone lying still on the ground for "not complying".

It would be ideal if cops had to wait for someone to actually brandish a weapon before opening fire. This whole "made a movement consistent with reaching towards his waistband" and I "felt threatened" stuff is pretty vague. There needs to be a better set of guidelines of when it is and isn't OK to use lethal force, not just whenever you feel like it.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
The caller. The cop.

That happened in Spokane a few years back. House surrounded, TV cameras there, guy came out with hands raised. PD opened fire, murdered him very dead.
Theres body cam footage of the cop shooting him in front of his house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYnLx1LSqKY

Old 12-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I voted caller.

I'm pretty quick to call out bad police shootings, but without video evidence it doesn't sound like the police officer did anything wrong if the guy was repeatedly putting his hands down. You really got to pay attention and be good at playing simon says nowadays if you want to survive an encounter with American police.

This further proves that my theory I formed after the Daniel shaver video that it's best to ignore all of the cops commands and just lie flat on the ground and stay completely still and frozen in place and make them come to you to arrest you. Of course this is no guarantee of survival. I have no doubts that some American cops out there would gladly shoot someone lying still on the ground for "not complying".

It would be ideal if cops had to wait for someone to actually brandish a weapon before opening fire. This whole "made a movement consistent with reaching towards his waistband" and I "felt threatened" stuff is pretty vague. There needs to be a better set of guidelines of when it is and isn't OK to use lethal force, not just whenever you feel like it.
I think they are both responsible. Police can't just assume someone has a weapon . If they seen a gun then fine. But this guy was executed n front of his own house for what reason? Reach for his waistband? He could have been pulling his pants up. The cop should be charged as well as the caller. Notice how only one cop shot?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:55 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Caller. And not just for deliberate, prank calls. We see far too much of this where idiots with cell phones see something and call it in with no effort to verify what is happening ahead of time. Not too long ago there was a case where a man picked up a TOY gun for his child at Walmart and is walking around continuing his shopping, minding his own business, not pointing at anyone. Some moron with a cell phone calls it in as an armed man with a rifle attacking people. Cops are primed and expecting an active shooter situation-they go in and shoot him when he doesn't put it down fast enough.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Why not both? Although full-blown murder charges may be coming it a tad high.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Caller. And not just for deliberate, prank calls. We see far too much of this where idiots with cell phones see something and call it in with no effort to verify what is happening ahead of time. Not too long ago there was a case where a man picked up a TOY gun for his child at Walmart and is walking around continuing his shopping, minding his own business, not pointing at anyone. Some moron with a cell phone calls it in as an armed man with a rifle attacking people. Cops are primed and expecting an active shooter situation-they go in and shoot him when he doesn't put it down fast enough.
Apparently the caller lives in California . So I wonder what their laws are going to be regarding this one. Would he be extradited to Kansas? Or charged in California ? Sounds like some legal challenges ahead of this one.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
There is video and it sounds like it is going to be another of these "officer goes off for fear of something or the other". The family who were present are calling it murder by the cop. And only one cop fired a single shot.

I think we need a new standard. Fear alone insufficient. Actual sight of a weapon or some similar criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies