Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
True. She was in the shower.

And, she said he had played with the stove dials before, so child proof locks should have been installed.

Guess that is asking too much.

[/b]
I am sure if the parents were well-off and the child have a history of that they would have child-proof locks or devices installed to ensure that it did not happen.

Wealthy people who can raise their children right would have made sure that this was prevented.

Seems like the mother had multiple-children that she couldn't afford but decided to get pregnant anyway. I wonder who was paying the rent? New York City is very expensive even for a single person and it seems like this woman had multiple children that she couldn't take care of.

What is the deal with all these people having large families living in tiny, crowded, old apartments anyway? She should waited until she had a job that allowed her to rent a house in Staten Island or Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 05:46 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It is an unspeakable tragedy but the fact of the matter is DeBlasio's NYC is full of old tenement buildings with low appliances with huge families that don't know how to raise their children.

When they have a city that has third-world birth rates and people crammed into tiny apartments with tiny, low to the floor appliances it is a recipe for disaster.

Never could understand why people in these large cities have crazy large families that they can't take care of and live in tiny overcrowded apartments.
Most of the north east is full of what you describe. Not just apartments but houses.

My first house was a fire hazard and a half. Was built in the 50s and had rope insulation wire and a glass fuse panel.

I had to gut all of that crap out and run new wire (I went beyond code and put the wire in metal conduit to prevent mice from chewing wires been to too many house fires where it started inside a wall by a mouse) and a breaker panel. Just to get home owners insurance on it.

Back in those days when that house was built, the wire was tacked to studs with big staples too. Should a stud move pinch 2 wires through the chintzy "insulation" wham fire.

Some of the older Victorian houses still standing built in the 1800s-1920s are legit fires waiting to happen unless updated. Never mind if they have asbestos siding...

Old 12-30-2017, 05:46 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Wealthy people who can raise their children right would have made sure that this was prevented.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...twins/2001987/

Lowe's parents were past upper middle class, btw, and obviously did not raise her right.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:48 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Massive fire that killed 12 started by child playing with stove | abc7.com

Maybe people unless it is a penthouse or large luxury units, should raise their children in a large single family home and not an overcrowded apartment.

New York City seems to have many issues that arise from it's third-world sized families living in small apartments in walk-up tenement apartments.

Bronx fire started by child playing with stove, official says - CNN

https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...!4d-73.8831984

It seems as though these massive families living in crowded apartments with buildings with hundreds of people with electrical appliances and stoves everywhere is a recipe for issues.

I guess unlike DeBlasio's NY, people in Republican Wichita can raise their children in huge homes that aren't crammed with things that could dangerous for less than 1,000 a month.

Why have kids if they can't watch them 24 hours, 7 days a week?

Why have a big family if they are living in a century-year old walk up overcrowded apartment building festered with disease?

I wonder how many siblings the parents who were living in a Bronx tenement were preoccupied with?

Seems like the NYC model of crowded tenement apartments crowded with families that can't watch their children that are breeding grounds of disease isn't really working very well.
Your lack of compassion for this horrific tragedy is stunning.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
A tragedy involving children and multiple deaths and you turn it into a political diatribe?
Looks, like that the apartment building has had a history of defective carbon monoxide detector and faulty smoke detector.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/29/bronx-...pen-violation/

Old 12-30-2017, 05:51 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Massive fire that killed 12 started by child playing with stove | abc7.com

Maybe people unless it is a penthouse or large luxury units, should raise their children in a large single family home and not an overcrowded apartment.

New York City seems to have many issues that arise from it's third-world sized families living in small apartments in walk-up tenement apartments.

Bronx fire started by child playing with stove, official says - CNN

https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...!4d-73.8831984

It seems as though these massive families living in crowded apartments with buildings with hundreds of people with electrical appliances and stoves everywhere is a recipe for issues.

I guess unlike DeBlasio's NY, people in Republican Wichita can raise their children in huge homes that aren't crammed with things that could dangerous for less than 1,000 a month.

Why have kids if they can't watch them 24 hours, 7 days a week?

Why have a big family if they are living in a century-year old walk up overcrowded apartment building festered with disease?

I wonder how many siblings the parents who were living in a Bronx tenement were preoccupied with?

Seems like the NYC model of crowded tenement apartments crowded with families that can't watch their children that are breeding grounds of disease isn't really working very well.

Bad parenting can happen anywhere, and that's exactly what happened here.
However, bad parenting seems to happen more often in big cities.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:53 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Quote:
I am sure if the parents were well-off and the child have a history of that they would have child-proof locks or devices installed to ensure that it did not happen.

Seems like the mother had multiple-children that she couldn't afford but decided to get pregnant anyway. I wonder who was paying the rent? New York City is very expensive even for a single person and it seems like this woman had multiple children that she couldn't take care of.

What is the deal with all these people having large families living in tiny, crowded, old apartments anyway? She should waited until she had a job that allowed her to rent a house in Staten Island or Long Island.
Bad things never happen to wealthy people.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...320733301.html

Tragedy is not based on income level.

You could use a little class, or empathy, or a heart. Pathetic.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Your lack of compassion for this horrific tragedy is stunning.
The lack of compassion that the mother with multiple kids who had a 3 year old of playing with the ovens on the stove is stunning.

Her lack of buying stove safety locks for a couple of dollars is stunning! For a couple of dollars it could have all been prevented but I am sure the mother if she is living in a century-old tenement doesn't have very much logic to begin with.

Maybe these parents should have compassion and not have children until they are prepared to raise them correctly. There is just so much horrible parenting that goes on in these liberal cities it is beyond stunning.

Once again, for a couple of dollars she could have walked to the store and bought stove safety locks but I guess that was not a priority of her's. I wonder how many of these poor parents will do a safety-evaluation to childproof their home as much as possible after this terrible tragic event due to another bad inner-city parent.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:59 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:

Have you ever been around children? We are middle class. Own a nice roomy house in a red state. We have 2 very smart and adventurous children. We have had to resort to having a hotel-style bar on the front door lest the older one gets out. The babyproof doorknobs don’t stop her. And even then...she has managed to figure out that she could drag a bench over there and undo it. I keep trying harder to baby proof. That’s just one example.

So....even though I am not poor, try to babyproof, etc., something like this could possibly happen.

Could she have done more? Sure. Parents of all political stripes and income levels can do poorly at it.

But no. You’ve gotta try to turn this into something that’s the fault of all them eeeevil liberals.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Have you ever been around children? We are middle class. Own a nice roomy house in a red state. We have 2 very smart and adventurous children. We have had to resort to having a hotel-style bar on the front door lest the older one gets out. The babyproof doorknobs don’t stop her. And even then...she has managed to figure out that she could drag a bench over there and undo it. I keep trying harder to baby proof. That’s just one example.

So....even though I am not poor, try to babyproof, etc., something like this could happen.

But no. You’ve gotta try to turn this into something that’s the fault of all them eeeevil liberals.
See that it what a good solid middle-class family like yourself does to protect your children as much as you can.

Most big liberal American cities are little more than baby-factories living in outdated homes with no safety prevention measures.

After the first time, your decided to do what you could to eliminate the risk as possible by putting a hotel-style bar on the door because you obviously do what ever it takes and you have lots of common sense and logical thinking skills.

However, many of these poor parents who ended up having so many children because they have no logic or common sense have no logical thinking skills and live in the moment so they don't worry about measures to eliminate the risk.

I am sure that if 100 children for a poor and 100 child from a middle-class or rich household made a safety mistake that the children in the middle-class or rich household would in many more instances do more to eliminate the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies