Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 03:23 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the answer is "yes" then why is it voter suppression to be asked for ID when you vote? Don't the same people buy marijuana and/or alcohol?
Don't know. Never tried the first and haven't done the second since I was a twenty-something many years ago.

But to get to the point, YES, a voter's ID needs to be definite before he or she votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In my opinion there should be a national ID card and automatic voter registration once each citizen turns 18. This would kill a divisive issue in one stroke..
Great idea but that would only solve part of the problem. What about people who came here in their 20's, 30's, etc? Would they get the same card immediately when they become citizens? If so, that would work.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:29 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the answer is "yes" then why is it voter suppression to be asked for ID when you vote? Don't the same people buy marijuana and/or alcohol?
They need a DL to get food stamps, yes?

Old 12-31-2017, 03:30 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Again -- you need to read more on those that have had issues getting id.

Your ignorance doesn't make it easier for these folks to fulfill the requirements of some of the states.
Right. When I go to the Polls in Montana, the election workers ask to see my drivers license, then they check the voter's register for my name, then I have to sign in. In Montana, that is apparently legal, it happens every year on election day, IF I go to the Polls.
In certain other states, that would be challenged, and chances are the entire system would be thrown out by the courts. That is NOT "equality", IMO. What is good for Montanans should be good for everybody else in any state!
I have read about the so-called "issues getting ID". It seems strange to me that party workers (I will not say what party) can pick people up to get to the Polls, but they can't be bothered to pick them up and take them to get an ID card. The trip to the Polls is every year; the trip to get the ID is once in a lifetime.
Yes, very strange...

Old 12-31-2017, 03:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
For those who don't believe it is voter suppression driven here is the NC story...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.293d9e16e901

Old 12-31-2017, 03:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
WOW -- okay -- I'm in -- and probably a bunch of others......The BIG difference is -- we are guaranteed the right to vote...
What guarantees us the right to vote? Please provide a link.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If it is so difficult to get an ID card, how do the poor sign up for welfare and food stamps?
An ID is required for both.
How do they get a fishing or hunting license? An ID is required.
How do they drive a vehicle? A license is required, and it must comply with the Federal Real ID rules.
How do they get a prescription filled? An ID is required.
How do they open a bank account or join a Credit Union? ID is required.
How do they enlist in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard? A picture ID is required.
How do they enroll in any school?
How do they register to vote? an ID and proof of address is required.

No, sorry, but there are so many things in the modern world that require a picture ID that the argument that the poor or minorities or poor minorities can't get one just won't work any more.
It's amazing how many times people will continue to post the same failed argument. If they have registered to vote they have already proven who they are.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:41 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What guarantees us the right to vote? Please provide a link.
In those terms, it ought to mean something that the right to vote is singled out more often than any other. Section 2 of the Fourteenth Amendment imposes a penalty upon states that deny or abridge "the right to vote at any [federal or state] election ... to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, ... except for participation in rebellion, or other crime." The Fifteenth states that "[t]he right of citizens of the United States to vote" can't be abridged by race; the Nineteenth says that the same right can't be abridged by sex; the Twenty-Fourth says that "the right of citizens of the United States to vote" in federal elections can't be blocked by a poll tax; and the Twenty-Sixth protects "[t]he right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote."
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...vilege/262511/

Old 12-31-2017, 03:43 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
They need a DL to get food stamps, yes?
No they don't

Old 12-31-2017, 03:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Hopefully not...........if your name is recorded buying pot, THEY will find all sorts of ways to use that data. In a database as a pot-buyer, welp, you are no longer allowed to purchase a firearm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ed8cc6ef6b95

An appeals court ruled last week that a federal law prohibiting medical marijuana cardholders from purchasing guns does not violate their Second Amendment rights, because marijuana has been linked to "irrational or unpredictable behavior."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies