Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Party is Pro Military and Pro Veterans?
Republicans 34 55.74%
Democrats 14 22.95%
Not sure/Don't Know/Equal/Other 13 21.31%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:51 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I say the Republicans
I say these threads are getting extremely infantile.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
One could argue that, but it would be a lie.

Democrats start more wars than Republicans. Obama got more than twice as many US troops killed in Afghanistan as Bush. Obama is the only US president to be at war for 2 entire terms. Bill Clinton attacked more countries than any other president, they just weren't called 'war'. Actions speak louder than words.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...obama-20160530
Nice how you failed to mention who started both wars that ran thru the Obama administration and how many died during the Bush administration.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I say the Republicans
The military > Republicans

The veterans > Democrats

Old 12-31-2017, 09:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I say these threads are getting extremely infantile.
I sort of enjoy them, it's better than the threads that start with some premise already stated, "Why do liberals always XYZ.."

Old 12-31-2017, 09:59 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Both parties value the military and veterans, but Republicans love them to the point of fetishization.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:03 AM

39,214 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The one that fights for expanded VA outreach and funding.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/budg...nding-1.327295

The one that doesn't vote to kill veterans' funding.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-g...b_5395698.html

The one that the majority voted against Dubya/Chicken Dick Cheney's stupid Iraq war.

House Vote:

Pub: 215 yay 6 nay

Dem: 82 yay 126 nay

Senate Vote:

Pub: 48 yay 1 nay

Dem: 29 yay 21 nay

Summary:

Pub: 263 for, 7 against

Dem: 111 for, 147 against

I think both parties are massively corrupt. So I agree with majority of the posters, neither party really "cares"

This said,

The difference between Republicans and Democrats on this issue have something to do with interest group politics. Non-government doctors, health insurance companies, and for-profit hospitals—often, though not exclusively, aligned with Republicans—would surely like a piece of the roughly $60 billion a year that the federal government spends providing veterans health care through dedicated, government owned and operated Veterans Administration health care facilities.

On the Democratic side, the American Federation of Government Employees, a reliable Democratic interest group, represents 220,000 employees at the Veterans Administration. The union doesn’t want those employees to lose their jobs to non-union private sector competitors.

http://reason.com/archives/2016/02/0...lth-care-split

While the interest-group politics around the issue can’t be ignored, neither can the underlying ideological differences. Veterans health care is not the only issue where Democrats want a service provided by unionized government employees, while Republicans want to give individuals a choice. The same pattern shows up in education, where most Democrats favor traditional public schools while most Republicans are more open to private school vouchers.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,311 times
It is hilarious how much the GOP purportedly cares more about Veterans yet GOP supporters have no problems spewing vile garbage about and question the service record of a politician like Tammy Duckworth because of her race and party affiliation. Total hypocrisy from the GOP base.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:07 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It is hilarious how much the GOP purportedly cares much more about Veterans yet GOP supporters have no problems spewing vile garbage about and question the service record of a politician like Tammy Duckworth because of her race and party affiliation. Total hypocrisy from the GOP base.
Not to mention the hatred directed toward LGBTQ servicemembers and veterans we see on this forum just about every day.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Of course you do.

I say -- it is the same.

One could argue Democrats care more because they want to stay out of wars -- into peace and all that - -which suggests caring more for the people sent to war.

One could argue Republicans love a good war and spend lots of money on war but not so much on the people fighting the war.

But any of those statements would be heavily biased and not necessarily accurate.

I say both parties care about those who choose to serve the country.
You do realize that Dems have sent more of us to the wars then anybody else right?

Old 12-31-2017, 10:16 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times
This is a topic of discussion from time to time in our home. I think it really depends. It's hard to say that one party does more than the other. It comes down to exactly who the elected into specific positions too.

Between my husband and FIL (with a combined almost 40 years between the two of them) both have said that the military morale and strength increased under a republican president. My FIL retired under Clinton and said that Clinton ran the military into the ground during his time in office. My husband joined under Bush Jr and is still currently serving. He has told me that the political correctness increased, morale and a few other things went down under Obama.
My FIL will be one of the first to say he lives well for being a retired veteran. He works because he wants to. He also likes to spoil and visit his grandkids.

The VA has been under such a fine tooth comb here the past several years that yes there is going to be more of a spotlight on them. Just in the past couple of days one VA facility found bed bugs and was forced to close. The demand of care needed by veterans (who are not medically retired or retired) has gone up but the supply has not (hopefully that makes sense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies