Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have noticed when I look at YouTube videos from the 1980s that back than people were constantly doing outdoor events, huge picnics, huge shows and things like huge movies in the parks.

Now, for the most part people just go out to eat 2,000 to 3,000 calorie meals that claim to chef and artisan prepared in a crowded, stinky setting and than afterwards they get a 1,000 calorie milkshake and usually go out with their spouse to show off drinking $15 martini's all night.
Yes, hanging out at bars was such a novel concept that we needed 11 seasons of Cheers to teach us about it

Seriously though, depends on the season: not much happening outdoors on a Saturday night in the dead of winter in the northeast. If we’re going to brave snowy roads and single-digit temperatures, there better be a nice tap beer involved. (Martinis and milkshakes? Really?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
It's true that there are few places to eat a decent meal - and we live in very populated and civilized areas.

The good news is that we have almost unlimited access to organic food at farmers markets, whole foods, trader joes, etc.

But the person who doesn't cook is likely to live a shorter life - because the BS they serve at overpriced restaurants just isn't worth the price or calories.

I'll show y'all a good setup - this is a mexican place in one of our towns - now they have three.

https://buenoysano.com/
Fresh - when you order spinach for your burrito you watch it get cooked in the pan.....all for fast food prices.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:54 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Sounds like OP needs to get out more.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Our entertainment usually revolves around spending time with our extended family in one of our homes. Shopping has never been a source of entertainment for the vast majority of us and the ones who do enjoy going to the mall are all in their eighth decade of life. My daughter and I spend our time together cooking, which is a pretty traditional task for women. My sons and husband like to go backpacking. We all enjoy attending the theater and symphony. And we love playing board games, too.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
I would respond to this but after eating a whole young pig and spending 150 bucks on martinis I am just too tired.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Somebody needs to get off the PC and go outside and do something. I live in a rural area near a major summertime resort. The surrounding area has plenty of festivals throughout the year, yes, including many with very tasty local eats. But these festivals have been going on for decades so they were there during the 80's. Just general going out, many here fish, hunt, prep for hunting, walk on the boardwalk, the beaches, visit wildlife refuges. a couple of newer things is a lot of fishermen are now using kayaks so they get plenty of exorcise while fishing. Paddle boards are popular as well and another way to get good exorcise while on the water.

I'm sure every other area/region has it's own kind of local activities in which people go out and enjoy.

And of corse there are the bars, but again, those have been, and will be, popular hangouts for years.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 AM

19,604 posts, read 12,206,783 times
I think there was more for young people to do, without adults hovering over them. Now if you party on the beach the police come around and kick you out or arrest you. We used to have concerts every week in different places and local bands could play spontaneously without a permit. Drag racing wasn't a big offense. Before we had cars we would walk or ride our bikes everywhere, no public transportation.

No one thought about food until we were starving. I don't recall food being the destination unless it was a special event. Portions are much bigger now except in specialty restaurants, food is more bland, covered in spices and sauces to hide that it isn't fresh.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Another day on the internet, another person spouting about the good old days and how they are smarter then everyone else. Apparently this is something that started around 2000 and only gets worse.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It is a legitimate point that many people today are fat consumerist whores.

How ironic to get a comment about the Mar-A-Lago crowd from someone listing their location as Russia.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have noticed when I look at YouTube videos from the 1980s that back than people were constantly doing outdoor events, huge picnics, huge shows and things like huge movies in the parks.

Now, for the most part people just go out to eat 2,000 to 3,000 calorie meals that claim to chef and artisan prepared in a crowded, stinky setting and than afterwards they get a 1,000 calorie milkshake and usually go out with their spouse to show off drinking $15 martini's all night.
So you have formulated this hypothesis by sitting inside your house watching YouTube? Sounds to me like you are part of the problem you are railing against.

Meanwhile, back in the real world outside of your computer screen, life goes on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies