Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Vouchers.

You get to choose any accredited school that you choose. Public schools charge the same which the voucher covers, all private schools can charge as little or as much as they’d like.

I can’t take my kids to the public schools on the other side of the lake if I wanted to. If it’s a voucher system, I’d be able to choose the best public school I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 10:59 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You can't bring up history.

It has to be denied according to liberal progressive demands.

Stay in the present and deal with the here and now. In the here and now a problem has developed in the education system. Time to deal with it in the present or the, future, which is allowed.
According to liberal progressive ideology nothing can be learned from the past. It exceeds the comfort level in the collective. It may require some form of reeducation camp in the future. Lets try and avoid that with a focus on the now.
Your post doesn't make much sense.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Correct. I read an article some time ago, that over there, graduates from teacher college don't even get a choice about which district they go to - they're assigned by the education department.
Completely false. It's a free country after all.

---

For the thread's point; capitalism in a school system doesn't work. There's no way to make rational consumer choices, there is no consumer protection, and for-profit education is a ridiculous idea, as it doesn't encourage people to learn anything, but to just use the pupils to do well on certain metrics that ensures max profit.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Your post doesn't make much sense.
I'm expressing liberal progressive views.

Its not supposed to make sense.

Its supposed to be accepted without question.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The US has private schools as an option and already has merit pay for teachers, what is he specifically promoting.
Funny how this is not the first time Trump has promoted a plan to which there are already working solutions.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:09 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
what I find funny here is all the people championing this "plan" as if their kids will now get to go to Choate or Exeter for free when in reality what they will end up with is a 3K voucher for a 12K school that is almost as good as to slightly better than the local public school (while the free option gets gutted).
That's the real goal.

The free public education is to be weakened and gutted. This will make educational prospects tougher on the ordinary hardworking citizens.

These same sorts of robber barons have been attacking public libraries. I think there are libertarian roots to these arguments. The argument melds well with the interests of investor groups (regardless of their economic philosophy) who want to eliminate public options which are competition for their profit making schemes.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
That's the real goal.

The free public education is to be weakened and gutted. This will make educational prospects tougher on the ordinary hardworking citizens.

These same sorts of robber barons have been attacking public libraries. I think there are libertarian roots to these arguments. The argument melds well with the interests of investor groups (regardless of their economic philosophy) who want to eliminate public options which are competition for their profit making schemes.
You are correct.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I'm expressing liberal progressive views.

Its not supposed to make sense.
well, mission accomplished

Old 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM

23,547 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The PUBLIC SECTOR teacher's UNIONS are the biggest part of the problem. They promote their own far left agenda, only support Democrat candidates, and take our tax dollars for themselves, We need to get rid of public sector unions that work against the very people that pay their salaries, benefits, and pensions, The CITIZEN TAX PAYER.

Get rid of the unions, and the education problems will be solved.
Amen to that !!

Unions conscript teacher's pay, use the money in ways that is contrary to many members and demean teachers by treating them as replaceable widgets, differentiated only by time on the job.

Unions are the teachers' and students worst enemies.

Any attack on unions is then deflected to be an attack on teachers. A standard tactic used by activists of liberal stripes to evoke sympathy and create a negative impression of any opposition.

Give trump a shot, what harm can he do to a failing public education cartel where first year teachers leave the profession in droves and money spent vs success leaves the US far down the list of best educated countries vs money spent.

Trump spent a fraction of the cash Hillary did while prognosticators declared Trump's sure demise based on that premise. Don't underestimate Trump. He is our childrens' only hope.

So trump wants to do away with 'rubber rooms' and his opposition doesn't.

The NY teacher's union pays teachers with taxpayer money to sit around doing nothing for years or months.

https://nypost.com/2016/01/17/city-p...-rooms-return/

"The city’s infamous rubber rooms have rebounded.
In one of the “reassignment centers,” 16 exiled educators sit in a city Department of Education building in Long Island City, Queens, including a dozen packed into one room — where they do virtually no work."

Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well, mission accomplished
Let's be clear, that poster only accomplished the second part of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies