Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Nobody is whining because of what they said... but to do what they did when the school is getting paid money to make an appearance in that state... it's just poor taste.
The Stanford Band has been insulting institution and various causes for ever. Making fun of whatever is their reason for existing. And they are good at it as you just proved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 12:34 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the Stanford band has been doing stuff like this for ages.

LOL i think you're missing the point. The Stanford band exists largely to mock the sort of "traditions" of other schools that take themselves too seriously.

and the aggies are like, the perfect example of a school that takes itself too seriously.
I guess if they are an equal opportunity offender - then it probably isn't too big of a deal. Still seems sophomoric though...

Old 01-02-2018, 12:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
This is how I remember the Stanford band:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

Old 01-02-2018, 12:37 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
I'm married to a UT band alumni. This isn't a thing, and it's definitely not political. Taunting and a little trashtalk between bands happens. It's not considered a big deal unless it involves physical violence, property damage, or -gasp- breaking the formation of the band while they're marching.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:38 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
If I made a thread about everything conservatives did that was "in poor taste", city-data would crash.
I cringe at some of the stuff conservative post as well...

I guess Stanford is basically entertaining themselves, because they aren't entertaining anyone who is not familiar with their schtick.

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
I cringe at some of the stuff conservative post as well...

I guess Stanford is basically entertaining themselves, because they aren't entertaining anyone who is not familiar with their schtick.
Speak for yourself. I found it tremendously entertaining.

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
This is why liberals have a bad reputation. They just can't play a song or two at halftime... they have to invoke politics into everything because they lack proper boundaries. They are insulting and rude as well. This is ridiculous.

My guess is that this will be the last time a California team is invited to a bowl game in Texas... or at least it should be awhile until it happens again.

By the way... TCU came back from a 21-3 deficit to win 39-37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_YqSX6q3U8
Stanford's band is known for pulling pranks and poking fun at things. That is literally what they do. They have been doing this for decades.

Anyone familiar with college football knows this...

Also - giant LOL at the "last time" comment. You have no idea how bowls work - if a CA university is in a position to play in a bowl that happens to be in CA, you can bet it will happen.

And Stanford's band does not speak for CA or for "liberals" - they speak for themselves.

Lighten up. Go outside for a walk - it will be OK.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:40 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
teenagers and early 20 something's don't put college band performances together.... without leadership of adults.... and certainly they must be approved by those in power.
Actually, they do.

The idea that the Stanford band doing something "in poor taste" is news, shows the ignorance of countless people about the Stanford band. The Stanford band is modeled after that of my own alma mater, even to using similar uniforms. And both have been doing satirical, barely-organized shows for at least 50 years. And both are completely student-run.

If you don't like what the Stanford band s doing, wait ten minutes. That won't make any difference, though, since they never change. They are the Antifa of serious marching bands all over the country.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Nobody is whining because of what they said... but to do what they did when the school is getting paid money to make an appearance in that state... it's just poor taste.
Maybe I am just missing it completely but what exactly did the Stanford band do? I saw nothing that could cause this level of butthurt.

Is this a case of Texas football fans taking themselves and their sport way too seriously?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
This is why liberals have a bad reputation. They just can't play a song or two at halftime... they have to invoke politics into everything because they lack proper boundaries. They are insulting and rude as well. This is ridiculous.

My guess is that this will be the last time a California team is invited to a bowl game in Texas... or at least it should be awhile until it happens again.

By the way... TCU came back from a 21-3 deficit to win 39-37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_YqSX6q3U8
You realize that Stanford has a conservative student body, right?

And college bands raz other schools and states all the time - get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies