Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The reason is simple--Trump's enormous ego and hubris. Wolff sent him a copy of an article that he wrote about Trump in the Hollywood Reporter, and Trump fell in love with a picture of himself in mirrored sunglasses on the cover. I guess he thought it made him look cool. That was really all the enticement he needed to let Wolff into the West Wing.

No one ever accused Trump of being smart. Only the cult--and Trump--still think he is.
I wish I was dumb enough to make Billions of dollars and by the way, so do you.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
A lot of IS stretching, but a lot of it is spot on, including the dinner with Bannon and Ailes in which another party to that dinner corroborated the story Wolfe was telling.

I would surmise the account is more 'on' than 'off'.
I think it's 50/50.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Wolff apparently has a history of making the story up as he goes along too. He likes to fill in the blanks the way he sees fit.
Quite possibly. But if so surely the intent of the Wolff's words in the preface was NOT to turn around and warn the reader about HIMSELF. Here, I would tend to accept the plain meaning of what he wrote - that he could not vouch for the veracity of his informants.

Quote:
Wolff apparently has a history of making the story up as he goes along too. He likes to fill in the blanks the way he sees fit.

I would love to know the reasoning behind letting this guy or anyone have this type of access. Doesn't anyone at the White House watch House Of Cards? This was a huge part of the 4th season storyline and it ended just as badly as this real-life storyline.
Wolff is a New York "sophisticate" not part of the normal reporter pool. And as some have noticed not quite MSM - in either ethics or professional reputation. He's a bit more tabloid - more Trump's kind of guy, to let myself get a tad catty.

For an answer, perhaps look to Trump's history with the author of The Art of the Deal which was not authored by Trump but by Tony Schwartz.

Schwartz had written an article quite negative about Trump so was then surprised when one day Trump received him quite warmly and ended up proposing a book deal offering him the same "fly-on-the-wall" access that Wolff was given.

As Schwartz tells it, Trump was unable to focus long enough for the necessary interviewing. Instead Schwartz was allowed to observe interactions, sit in on meetings, and even monitor phone calls. From that he put together the story of Trump's "deal making." Schwartz later regretted that he wrote a tale so favorable thinking he sold out and now donates all proceeds.

Perhaps Trump was hoping for the same with Wolff?

Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 PM

26,570 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The reason is simple--Trump's enormous ego and hubris. Wolff sent him a copy of an article that he wrote about Trump in the Hollywood Reporter, and Trump fell in love with a picture of himself in mirrored sunglasses on the cover. I guess he thought it made him look cool. That was really all the enticement he needed to let Wolff into the West Wing.
that seems to be the case.

i'm curious if wolff was still in the WH when kelly became cheif of staff?

Old 01-05-2018, 06:44 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
I wish I had a rich daddy who gave me millions of dollars to start out, and then when I lost it all, gave me millions more to bail me out. Little Donnie was so smart to be born to a rich daddy.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:44 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
that seems to be the case.

i'm curious if wolff was still in the WH when kelly became cheif of staff?
Probably not.

He met with Trump about the book before the Inauguration (8 days) then was in and out of the White House over a "few months."

Old 01-05-2018, 06:46 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:

Of course anyone smart enough knows intelligence has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Probably not.

He met with Trump about the book before the Inauguration (8 days) then was in and out of the White House over a "few months."
It would be funny if Kelly was the one that said "That guy that keeps going in people's offices with a recorder - what is he doing here?"

Old 01-05-2018, 06:49 PM

26,570 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
i can honestly say that i would not trade places with trump for all his ( possible ) billions.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Quite possibly. But if so surely the intent of the Wolff's words in the preface was NOT to turn around and warn the reader about HIMSELF. Here, I would tend to accept the plain meaning of what he wrote - that he could not vouch for the veracity of his informants.

Wolff is a New York "sophisticate" not part of the normal reporter pool. And as some have noticed not quite MSM - in either ethics or professional reputation. He's a bit more tabloid - more Trump's kind of guy, to let myself get a tad catty.

For an answer, perhaps look to Trump's history with the author of The Art of the Deal which was not authored by Trump but by Tony Schwartz.

Schwartz had written an article quite negative about Trump so was then surprised when one day Trump received him quite warmly and ended up proposing a book deal offering him the same "fly-on-the-wall" access that Wolff was given.

As Schwartz tells it, Trump was unable to focus long enough for the necessary interviewing. Instead Schwartz was allowed to observe interactions, sit in on meetings, and even monitor phone calls. From that he put together the story of Trump's "deal making." Schwartz later regretted that he wrote a tale so favorable thinking he sold out and now donates all proceeds.

Perhaps Trump was hoping for the same with Wolff?
I think when anyone is being interviewed for any type of media it's safe to surmise that the expectation is to be painted in a favorable light and quoted accurately. I don't know anyone who goes into an interview under the premise that it's going to be a hatchet job.

I myself was misquoted by a local reporter in a phone interview about a thunderstorm and power outage. The reporter was uninterested and in a rush to get the story out that he butchered my entire comment. My point being sometimes these guys hear what they want to hear. This is why I am pleased that Wolff has recordings and I would love to hear them unedited and in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies