Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 03:35 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
In the past, Presidents took serious consideration of what they stated publicly. It would routinely undergo vetting by various internal departments, depending on the topics involved. Yes, it ran the risk by today's standards of not being seen as so "raw" and "genuine" as some people like, and of course Presidents were still far from perfect in their utterances. But there was awareness that the top leader's words signaled a lot - they could reassure allies (or opposite), enable deals to happen (or not), and signal boundaries to adversaries. So Presidents - Republican and Democrat - generally picked their words carefully. They would at least consider whether their statements would enhance national interest or make it more difficult to achieve.

By contrast, we now have the first US President who shoots from the hip with a spur-of-the-moment word salad formed mainly around his insecure ego, i.e. as reactions to what we perceives others to think about him. This plays well with his base, who as local yokels identify with a world where they don't need to vet what they say - and so Trump comes across as "one of us."

Great for Trump with respect to his base, but the problem with this is that it's not just Trumpers reading his Tweets (and the Libs that Trumpers gleefully see as enraged by it); it's also the rest of the world. And when our allies and adversaries are faced with a slew of inconsistent, cathartic statements, one of two things happen:

1. They think he seriously means it, and they form their policies accordingly to go it alone - they form new alliances that exclude the US, etc.

2. They think he doesn't seriously mean it since he spews a lot of hot air, in which case they learn not to take it seriously. This the blunts the credibility of the currency the President carries with his word in public.

Notice that either way, the President's wors becomea devalued, which can't even good.

I think both have happened to an extent, but #2 is especially the risky one with respect to entities like North Korea. Given Trump's flippant and petulant comments, I think others are being conditioned not to take him seriously. That means his word can no longer give valuable, meaningful signals to the opponent in terms of where the negotiation areas are and where the hard boundaries are; they disregard all of it. North Korea also obviously does the same, and the world has similarly discounted them.

So now you have two ego-driven entities who can no longer get good signaling from each other's word - and with nuclear weapons. This is how the stage gets set for a misunderstanding, which is a likely spark to a very costly fight between the two. It only takes a matter of minutes for this to play out.

And that is why a President's character and word still matter, as we will discovery to our own misfortune.

As you will soon see, from some of the posts they will make, his cult LOVES the fact that he is rude, uncensored, and arrogant. They see it as "being tough and strong". They see anyone who realizes that words have consequences as being weak.

Everything you posted is absolutely accurate. He does not seem to grasp that every time he tweets out something, it is not just read by his core, but rather, the rest of the world. They don't know if they can trust him or not. He is essentially a loose cannon internationally.

We need to bring maturity, discretion , intelligence, and class back to the WH. The spoiled child who has occupied it for the past year has done more damage in that time than anyone before him, and it needs to stop before we end up being a country that is not respected or needed by the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 03:39 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, what were the consequences of his other Twitter attacks on Rocket Man?
Conversely, what good did those tweets do ? Did they bring NK to the bargaining table ? Did it stop them from advancing their nuclear program ? No, Pedro, every time Trump tweeted, up went another missile, a little further than the last one. Trump blew his horn and Kim said "F you !"

Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
At what point did we become such wimps? "Carefully chosen words"? You mean like that stuttering cuc Obama? I feel sorry for you if telling it like it is is somehow traumatizing to you, that you think polite speech will solve all our problems no matter who we speak to (even though, liberals don't seem to follow their own mantra when it comes to Trump and his family).

I feel sorry for those who believe whether speech is polite or impolite (style) has anything to do with whether that speech has any substance.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:20 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
In the past, Presidents took serious consideration of what they stated publicly. It would routinely undergo vetting by various internal departments, depending on the topics involved. Yes, it ran the risk by today's standards of not being seen as so "raw" and "genuine" as some people like, and of course Presidents were still far from perfect in their utterances. But there was awareness that the top leader's words signaled a lot - they could reassure allies (or opposite), enable deals to happen (or not), and signal boundaries to adversaries. So Presidents - Republican and Democrat - generally picked their words carefully. They would at least consider whether their statements would enhance national interest or make it more difficult to achieve.

By contrast, we now have the first US President who shoots from the hip with a spur-of-the-moment word salad formed mainly around his insecure ego, i.e. as reactions to what we perceives others to think about him. This plays well with his base, who as local yokels identify with a world where they don't need to vet what they say - and so Trump comes across as "one of us."

Great for Trump with respect to his base, but the problem with this is that it's not just Trumpers reading his Tweets (and the Libs that Trumpers gleefully see as enraged by it); it's also the rest of the world. And when our allies and adversaries are faced with a slew of inconsistent, cathartic statements, one of two things happen:

1. They think he seriously means it, and they form their policies accordingly to go it alone - they form new alliances that exclude the US, etc.

2. They think he doesn't seriously mean it since he spews a lot of hot air, in which case they learn not to take it seriously. This the blunts the credibility of the currency the President carries with his word in public.

Notice that either way, the President's wors becomea devalued, which can't even good.

I think both have happened to an extent, but #2 is especially the risky one with respect to entities like North Korea. Given Trump's flippant and petulant comments, I think others are being conditioned not to take him seriously. That means his word can no longer give valuable, meaningful signals to the opponent in terms of where the negotiation areas are and where the hard boundaries are; they disregard all of it. North Korea also obviously does the same, and the world has similarly discounted them.

So now you have two ego-driven entities who can no longer get good signaling from each other's word - and with nuclear weapons. This is how the stage gets set for a misunderstanding, which is a likely spark to a very costly fight between the two. It only takes a matter of minutes for this to play out.

And that is why a President's character and word still matter, as we will discovery to our own misfortune.
I love having a President that speaks his mind even when I disagree with him. Anyway, buckle uup, you've got 7 more years of Trump Greatness to endure.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I love having a President that speaks his mind even when I disagree with him. Anyway, buckle uup, you've got 7 more years of Trump Greatness to endure.

I see no great benefit hearing someone speak their mind when the content of their mind is largely ME! ME! ME!.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

There's a right way to get your point across, and show some kind of intelligence. Not just tweet like a buffoon. A president shouldn't have the time to waste on social media. Thats his ego that likes to be stroked by his followers, drinking that social Kool Aid.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I see no great benefit hearing someone speak their mind when the content of their mind is largely ME! ME! ME!.
Then don't listen to the Tweets Obviously many people love that Trump Tweets, he wouldn't be President if he didn't Tweet.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
There's a right way to get your point across, and show some kind of intelligence. Not just tweet like a buffoon. A president shouldn't have the time to waste on social media. Thats his ego that likes to be stroked by his followers, drinking that social Kool Aid.
Nope, the President should be involved social media, symbolic communications is most of the job.

Let's be honest, when Odummy does anything on social media, the same people that are complaining about Trump love it. I don't like or agree with much of anything Odummy says....so I don't listen to him.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,396,512 times
Words matter. Orwell knew it. Wars have been started because of misunderstandings or misspoken words. Saddam Hussein may have invaded Kuwait in 92 because an ambassador inadvertent told him Pres. Bush would not object. The Korean War, ironically, likewise may have started in part because of miscommunications.

Trump has a very, very limited vocabulary. Trump has diminished the value of words. Given Trump's penchant for hyperbole, gross exaggeration and outright lies, no one knows what to believe what comes out of his mouth.

Democracy as well as the international order depends on leaders and citizens believing, or at least having confidence, in what you communicate can be relied on.

Trump has destroyed that one can have faith in his words. No one believes him. That is the peril of the times we live in.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:52 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,501 times
Quote:
I didn't say polite speech; I said carefully considered speech.

Look beyond Dirty Harry movies for your archetype of leadership and international diplomacy. And it has little to do with Obama, who is not President anymore.
That's an insult to Dirty harry. Trump is more like Nelson from the Simpsons. Imagine Nelson as a world leader, and the ppl who worship him, and you have your Trump supporters. Trump is a bully who acts at playing "tough" for his base, who are too stupid to see the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies