Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 04:15 PM

13,678 posts, read 8,948,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
+669.40

with the VIX getting crushed today, its time to cash in on those credit spreads so that we can be there the next time MSM and their parrots try to spread hysteria and hyperbole again
An excellent day indeed!

However, I will point out (which I shouldn't have to do) that those traders on the market are more influenced by events, rather than act on 'hysteria and hyperbole'. I doubt hysterical traders last long.

When the President started to impose tariffs, the market reacted adversely. When word came, as for today, that the US and China are talking behind the scenes for them to open their markets more for us, the market reacts.

The market, I think, also liked that Mr. Trump has continually scaled back the steel and aluminum tariffs (for instance, South Korea was given a partial exemption; very partial indeed).

Let us see: when Mr. Trump announced the steel and aluminum tariffs, many cheered, thinking it would bring back jobs. Which, to a certain extent, it will (some 500 or so, at last count).

However, since the initial announcement, the following countries are being exempted from the tariff:

Canada.
Mexico.
South Korea (partial).
European Union.
Argentina.
Australia.
Brazil.

Of course, Canada, Mexico, the EU, Brazil and Korea are the top five exporters of steel and aluminum to the US of A:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/22/trum...trade-rep.html

Now, talks with China (No. 10 on the list of 11 exporters).

Looks like Vietnam, No. 11, after all is said and done (for I bet Japan gets exempted), will get the short end of this tariff stick.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:01 PM

20,733 posts, read 9,344,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
+669.40
Aaaannnd ... the very next day, half that gain gets wiped out.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:14 PM

13,678 posts, read 8,948,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Aaaannnd ... the very next day, half that gain gets wiped out.
At one point, this morning, I saw that the Dow Jones was up $200+ points. Now, I come back, see your post, look it up, and see that it finished the day down 450 points. Quite a swing.

I have a history of being jinxed. Back in 1988 (I think it was, or 87) I invested quite a bit of inherited money in the stock market, which then crashed. Due to personal reasons, I had to pull my money out before it recovered, taking quite a loss.

I could give some other examples. However, I will say this: I retire this coming June 30th, and my retirement, in part, relies upon my 401k (or, the Federal equivalent, the Thrift Savings Plan). I began planning my retirement a few months ago, just about the time the market started to falter.

If history is any guide, by the time I retire, the market will be below 20,000 again, and my plan (while certainly not being worthless after 30 years), will take a significant hit.

Such is life.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,929,262 times
I'm waiting for the market to remain unchanged for a year, all of this volatility is unheard of!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:05 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,536,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
At one point, this morning, I saw that the Dow Jones was up $200+ points. Now, I come back, see your post, look it up, and see that it finished the day down 450 points. Quite a swing.

I have a history of being jinxed. Back in 1988 (I think it was, or 87) I invested quite a bit of inherited money in the stock market, which then crashed. Due to personal reasons, I had to pull my money out before it recovered, taking quite a loss.

I could give some other examples. However, I will say this: I retire this coming June 30th, and my retirement, in part, relies upon my 401k (or, the Federal equivalent, the Thrift Savings Plan). I began planning my retirement a few months ago, just about the time the market started to falter.

If history is any guide, by the time I retire, the market will be below 20,000 again, and my plan (while certainly not being worthless after 30 years), will take a significant hit.

Such is life.
Time to get a new plan.
May I suggest sampling the canned cat food and stocking up on the one with the best flavor and nutrition. You've worked all your life, the least, you should expect is the best cat food available.
Sounds like you still have time to sample them all and make an informed decision. Its not like picking some stock. Not at all.

Last edited by phma; 03-27-2018 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems your focus is that of an investor, but when it comes to following Trump and/or the state of the union, obviously there is much more than just business and consumer confidence to consider. Some say this is part of our problem, that "the business of America is business." I certainly agree this is part of our problem. Too much in the way of business and large corporations pulling the strings all in the name of the almighty buck, and not enough influence from "we the people." On behalf of "we the people."

If business is to be the focus, one thing for sure is that business does NOT like uncertainty. Trump is the epitome of uncertainty. Good luck to all with all!
Today it was reported that consumer confidence has turned south. The price charts also went south today.

Naturally lots of things to consider. People can chose what's important to them and set priorities.

I'm OK with my choice. I didn't listen to anyone telling me what to do. I made my own decision and have to live with it, until I chose not too.

Last edited by phma; 03-27-2018 at 05:05 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 05:07 PM

One other note.

Tech. stocks seen by some as the jewel in the market holding it up. Took a hit.

More hits coming to tech. IMO

Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 PM

38,981 posts, read 50,923,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Today it was reported that consumer confidence has turned south. The price charts also went south today.

Naturally lots of things to consider. People can chose what's important to them and set priorities.

I'm OK with my choice. I didn't listen to anyone telling me what to do. I made my own decision and have to live with it, until I chose not too.
Rising interest rates, rising energy costs, rising home prices, stagnant wages and, coming later this week, a very weak GDP report is getting consumers a bit nervous.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rising interest rates, rising energy costs, rising home prices, stagnant wages and, coming later this week, a very weak GDP report is getting consumers a bit nervous.
Growth comes in at 2.9 %. Not exactly weak.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:06 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,523,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm waiting for the market to remain unchanged for a year, all of this volatility is unheard of!
"Unheard of?"

Seems you weren't around for the fun ride there around 9/11 and/or at about the beginning of the Great Recession, back when the changes were even more profound from a percentage standpoint...

Yet, those highs and lows compared to today's were all below 14,000. Which tells us what about these short-term ups and downs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies