Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Right....

I wrote up some long post that showed what the GDP and market growth would be if "Trump's 25% = Obama's 100%." But you know what? It would be completely lost on you due to our failing education system. You are suffering from a Counting Chickens Before They Hatch Syndrome. Just because the market grew 25% last year, you think it will grow another 25% this year and the following year. It doesn't work like that. You can't extrapolate out the economy in that matter.

You want to ignore data points that go against your narrative. Sure, if Trump grew the GDP by 4% per year, that would be awesome. But guess what? The data doesn't support that. You have one point above 4% and you have all of 2017 at the "Terrible Obama Rate" of 2.2%. So sure, cherry pick your 4% rate and just pretend like that will be every quarter for the next 2.5 years.
Interesting defense of your false narrative.

You are suffering from counting the chickens that haven't hatched yet. Data doesn't predict the future and you can't either. What happened in the past is no guarantee of what will happen in the future.

There is some confusion on the statement : President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy.

Is the statement meant to be a proclamation in the time it was made, or a prediction of what the future facts will be or both.

At the time I made it, its my opinion, it will stand the test of time. When Trump is out of office we can look at the facts and make a determination. We can make determinations all along the way until Trump is out of office too but it will be done on incomplete and changing information. That makes for discussion.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000

They say it still has room to run !!!!

Go ahead 401K make my day !!!
Repubs are horrible at messaging.

they need to explain the significance of the DOW breaking 2,500.

Those with 401ks may know what it means to them, but what about the rest of the country?

Repubs always give technically correct answers while failing to communicate its relevance.

Dems on the other hand, go for emotional messaging, ignoring the facts.

Good to see the patterns so you can make an informed decision.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Repubs are horrible at messaging.

they need to explain the significance of the DOW breaking 2,500.

Those with 401ks may know what it means to them, but what about the rest of the country?

Repubs always give technically correct answers while failing to communicate its relevance.

Dems on the other hand, go for emotional messaging, ignoring the facts.

Good to see the patterns so you can make an informed decision.

I'll go out on a limb and say most of the country is more concerned with their personal economy. They have more information on that than anyone. They struggle with it daily. Some understand it better that others but they all are experts on their personal economy. Many have little understanding of the US economy.

I have a BIL that retired who had a Dr. in economics. He worked his entire career for one company. His life's work was on "Cardboard". I had a few conversations with him on carboard and he knew more about it than anyone I ever met. Cardboard is important to most everyone and most come into contact with it frequently. Some even make a home of it.
Try to opening a conversation with Main St Joe on "cardboard" and see if it last into the night.
Few people could maintain the excitement or read a few pages on cardboard without falling asleep.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:47 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and say most of the country is more concerned with their personal economy. They have more information on that than anyone. They struggle with it daily. Some understand it better that others but they all are experts on their personal economy. Many have little understanding of the US economy.

I have a BIL that retired who had a Dr. in economics. He worked his entire career for one company. His life's work was on "Cardboard". I had a few conversations with him on carboard and he knew more about it than anyone I ever met. Cardboard is important to most everyone and most come into contact with it frequently. Some even make a home of it.
Try to opening a conversation with Main St Joe on "cardboard" and see if it last into the night.
Few people could maintain the excitement or read a few pages on cardboard without falling asleep.
Depends on what kind of cardboard you are talking about, if its baseball cards I can definitely go past the all night threshold.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Depends on what kind of cardboard you are talking about, if its baseball cards I can definitely go past the all night threshold.
Now we are talking !!! I bet you have a lot of knowledge on that. So here is my question.

What is the best kind of ink to use on that type of cardboard and be specific ?

The kind of ink that changes the batting average won't do.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Now we are talking !!! I bet you have a lot of knowledge on that. So here is my question.

What is the best kind of ink to use on that type of cardboard ?
Too late for that question, anything worth any real money has already been printed long ago, new stuff is mostly worthless, at least the cards themselves, the autographs and scraps of jerseys, bases, balls, and bats that they put on them have some value though I guess.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Too late for that question, anything worth any real money has already been printed long ago, new stuff is mostly worthless, at least the cards themselves, the autographs and scraps of jerseys, bases, balls, and bats that they put on them have some value though I guess.
Kind of an interesting investment idea. Did you ever make a profit ? My older brother was a collector but I don't believe he ever tried to make a profit on it. His collection was lost in a flood.

Maybe just a fun likable hobby but some hobbies start that way and people do make money unintentionally.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Kind of an interesting investment idea. Did you ever make a profit ?

Maybe just a fun likable hobby but some hobbies start that way and people do make money unintentionally.
Kind of. I've made money with newer stuff and then used those profits in order to buy stuff that I actually wanted to keep for myself that has more value. So initially a profit but then used to buy other stuff that I'll probably never sell. One could definitely make a small side business of it for extra cash.

Definitely a fun hobby though. Topps is making it a little more interesting with their "Topps Now" cards, they basically release cards that reflect major milestones or significant happenings of the games every day for the prior days games. They are printed on demand based on how many people order them. For example, if Player X breaks a record one night, the next day you have the option to buy a certain # of the cards commemorating that event, but its a one time 24 hour window to purchase and they only print them that one time so the supply is variable per card, but also limited to that one print run.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Kind of. I've made money with newer stuff and then used those profits in order to buy stuff that I actually wanted to keep for myself that has more value. So initially a profit but then used to buy other stuff that I'll probably never sell. One could definitely make a small side business of it for extra cash.

Definitely a fun hobby though. Topps is making it a little more interesting with their "Topps Now" cards, they basically release cards that reflect major milestones or significant happenings of the games every day for the prior days games. They are printed on demand based on how many people order them. For example, if Player X breaks a record one night, the next day you have the option to buy a certain # of the cards commemorating that event, but its a one time 24 hour window to purchase and they only print them that one time so the supply is variable per card, but also limited to that one print run.

Sounds like a good system to build value in the market of cards. Very interesting !!!

It sure beats the plain old cardboard box.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 AM

GDP revised from 4.1 to 4.2

It seems it was a little better than first thought.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sec...dist=bigcharts

The U.S. might top 3% growth in 2018 for the first time since 2005, buoyed by strong hiring, falling unemployment, higher incomes and rising business investment.
Americans increasingly show their optimism in the economy. Consumer confidence rose in August to the highest level in 18 years and reached a peak it’s only matched a few other times in a half century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies