Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times

Advertisements

Lots to consider. Most world organizations lean to the left to one degree or another. Even so they list America's as # 1 for the first time in a decade. Both the left and the right can cherry pick isolated issues within the reporting. I didn't do that in this post. Just offering the information.

US named the world's most competitive economy
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/17/us-n...e-economy.html

The United States was named the world's most competitive economy by the World Economic Forum (WEF) on Wednesday.
In its Global Competitiveness Index, WEF — known for its annual economic forum in Davos, Switzerland — ranked the U.S. as the most competitive of 140 economies, the first time the nation has reached the top spot in a decade.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...s-report-2018/

One of the key findings from the report is that all economies could do better in certain areas.

Countries must invest in people and institutions to deliver on the promise of technology.”

https://www.weforum.org/

Last edited by phma; 10-17-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM

1,070 posts, read 391,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Actually what I'm looking for is the next leg down and expect it to be lower than the one just experienced.

My hesitation in all of this is the unknown on what price congress will demand we all pay for what S.A. has done and what effect it will have on the price of oil. It will have a global economic impact and many countries have weak economic conditions now.

Its interesting that so many anti-Trumpers weigh in when the market has a down day and you want to question me when Trump has an up day as if that's a negative. Are you going to question others on the down days ? I haven't seen that but I don't expect it either. Surprise me !!! I could be wrong on this questioning issue and you are in a position to prove that.
It’s really straight-forward! I blame F’ing Moron for his counter-productive trade wars. The market started going sideways in the Spring when tariffs were implemented - NOT a coincidence

I further blame F’ing Moron - and McConnell & P.Ryan - for their tax cuts: bad idea, terrible timing. Tax cuts stimulated an already good economy which didn’t need stimulating. This stimulation has caused inflation and rising interest rates.

Again, this sideways market which is flat since 1/1/2018 is all on F’ing Moron.

As someone stated: 2017 was Obama’s economy, 2018, 2019 etc. are F’ing Moron’s economy. Dow was up 200% from 2010 —> 2017 (Obama), Nasdaq - the only market I play - was up 400% in same period. 2018 is essentially flat. This ain’t a coincidence.

F’ing Moron, instead of doing nothing, which woulda kept the markets rising, did his best to slow down the market. If he ratchets up the trade war w/China, can you spell falling markets?

I’ll stay outta the market until/unless China trade war dies off - I may be in for a long wait

Thanx F’ing Moron, thanx!

Old 10-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy99 View Post
Well, you have much of it right.

But I blame outlooks like that of the OP - without the faith of their 40% that believes everything they do and say, they would have nothing.

Voters - and those who don't vote - are responsible.

Well, Handy, I’m a numbers guy. The numbers don’t lie. Market straight up under Obama, market sideways w/Trump.

Maybe it’s NOT the tax cuts and/or interest rate increase, maybe it’s just a coincidence?! Maybe I just got lucky! Maybe it’s simply F’ing Moron’s Orange-Face!

Hell, I play the horses, I understand trends/hot horses. If the #4 horse wins a lota races today, I’ll bet the 4 horse in the next race, cash my ticket, and don’t need to try and understand why I won! LOL

If F’ing Moron keeps delivering more tariffs etc. and the market stays flat or falls, I’m staying outta the market. Even if it’s a total coincidence that tariffs ain’t the reason.

BTW, I liked the market much better w/Obama than this year!

Old 10-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Economist love to measure as much as they can on the economy.
TDS is something new to measure if isolated but maybe its covered already with behavioral finance.

Investment Strategies and Human Behavior

However, research - as well as a casual glance at CNN's stock-ticker on any given day - shows that this relationship doesn't necessarily happen as expected. Investors regularly overreact, often wildly, so pushing prices up too high or pushing them down too low against their fundamentals.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Trump is right again !!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fed...dist=bigcharts

Federal Reserve minutes indicate interest rates will have to rise high enough to slow down the economy.

On the other hand, just a “couple” of officials indicated they would oppose a restrictive policy stance “in the absence of clear signs of an overheating economy and rising inflation.”

U.S. stocks sank after the release of the minutes with the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -0.25% down almost 90 points.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Trump is right again !!!

Federal Reserve minutes indicate interest rates will have to rise high enough to slow down the economy.

On the other hand, just a “couple” of officials indicated they would oppose a restrictive policy stance “in the absence of clear signs of an overheating economy and rising inflation.”

U.S. stocks sank after the release of the minutes with the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -0.25% down almost 90 points.
Trump is almost never right. He does a good job of making everything political though

Old 10-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Trump is almost never right. He does a good job of making everything political though
Chop Squared, maybe F’ing Moron will fire J.Powell and replace him with Ivanka or Rudy G - people that will do EVERYTHING he wants

Old 10-17-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Trump is right again !!!

phma, I diddn’t see anything in your link that says “Trump is right.” Did you send the wrong link?! Please explain.

Or, do you mean that Trump - and you - are right, and the Fed is wrong?

Old 10-17-2018, 02:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
He's "absolutely great" at increasing our deficit too. Our children will be paying for Trump's and McConnell's poor judgment.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:27 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,780 times
Now that the liberals have confirmed that this is finally the Trump economy, they can now thank President Trump for the sharp increase in the Dow. Well, go ahead liberals. Thank your president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies