Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW, it's terribly curious the same person who has told us the 2018 election was a big nothing-burger and that Trump made historic gains in the senate, is now telling that that big "nothing burger" is crashing the stock market. If it was a nothing burger, and if Trump made historic gains in the senate, why would that crash the stock market?
Don't try to hold people to their past comments. If it doesn't work for Trump (who has, at times, literally contradicted himself - sometimes multiple times over), it won't work for his followers.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:14 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW, it's terribly curious the same person who has told us the 2018 election was a big nothing-burger and that Trump made historic gains in the senate, is now telling that that big "nothing burger" is crashing the stock market. If it was a nothing burger, and if Trump made historic gains in the senate, why would that crash the stock market?
And I made it clear why, exactly. Why don't you actually address that instead of making up generalized nonsense. And it's clear the Markets dread the Democrats taking over. And I explained why.

Of course you can't address it, and instead make it about me. '

That's the real nothing burger here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Don't try to hold people to their past comments. If it doesn't work for Trump (who has, at times, literally contradicted himself - sometimes multiple times over), it won't work for his followers.

Feel free to hold me to my comments Hockeymac18. What exactly did I say in any of those links that is factually incorrect? Please be specific.

Or is this, as you say, you don't want to be held to your comments.

Yeah I thought so. You guys are all alike.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And I made it clear why, exactly. Why don't you actually address that instead of making up generalized nonsense. And it's clear the Markets dread the Democrats taking over. And I explained why.

Of course you can't address it, and instead make it about me. '

That's the real nothing burger here.
Why would markets care about a "nothing burger"?

Old 11-20-2018, 07:20 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
The comments below have been all you've said. There isn't much of an explanation of why, aside maybe from the passing comment about Maxine Waters. You basically just said that the markets are tanking because of the democratic victories. And that's about it.

I'm still awaiting your explanation as to why there was a similar tumble back in February and March.

And last, but not least, the house is only 1/3 of the power in Washington. Republicans still control the other 2/3 (the senate and the presidency). As a result, democrats in the house will be unable to overturn any of Trump's legislation. The tax cuts and everything else will remain intact. Markets are smart enough to know that, too. So your blaming the democrats for the recent stock market tumble is nothing but desperation on your part.

Quote:
The election of the Democrats has had a devastating effect on the markets. And this fall coincides with the election.

They know Mad Maxine is going to cause absolute havoc.
Quote:
Crash?

LAWL. You guys are losing it for sure. Because of Trump the Market is at historic highs.

If you had put your money in the market, the day that Trump beat the pantsuit off Bill Clinton's estranged drunken wife, you'd have close to 50% more now. Crash.... GTFOH.

Maybe you believed that village idiot Krugman and took your money out of the market, and are bitter now.
Quote:
What fund did you invest in that is based on the DOW? Nobody that I know. LAWL. Yet another one who missed this YUGE bull market under Trump

But even going with your cherry picked number 35% in just 2 years is great. Can't see how anyone would but a Democrat would try to make it into something bad.

But it's clear now, with the election of the Democrats in the House, the market sees this as a big big negative.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
What fund did you invest in that is based on the DOW? Nobody that I know. LAWL. Yet another one who missed this YUGE bull market under Trump

But even going with your cherry picked number 35% in just 2 years is great. Can't see how anyone would but a Democrat would try to make it into something bad.

But it's clear now, with the election of the Democrats in the House, the market sees this as a big big negative.
Choose another index then. The broader S&P 500 (500 biggest publicly-traded companies in America) hasn't even matched the DOWs performance. It's up 23.47% - less than HALF of what you claimed. There you go making up stuff AGAIN.

And yeah, 34% isnt bad over 2 years (17% a year). Too bad Obama had the market up 40% at this point. And yeah, Obama beat Trump on the S&P as well.
Apparently Trump can't match Obama.
No surprise there.

Ken

Old 11-20-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
That's the real nothing burger here.Feel free to hold me to my comments Hockeymac18. What exactly did I say in any of those links that is factually incorrect? Please be specific.

Or is this, as you say, you don't want to be held to your comments.

Yeah I thought so. You guys are all alike.
Was the 2018 election a "nothing burger"? If so, why would the markets care?

Please, feel free to hold me to all comments. My post history is there for your searching, at any time.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Choose another index then. The S&P 500 hasn't even matched the DOWs performance. It's up 23.47% - less than HALF of what you claimed. There you go making up stuff AGAIN.

Ken
S&P 500 was 2126 when Trump was elected. Toped out at 2929 a month or so ago.

That's 38%, not 23% Try again. And close to 40% in less than 2 years, is YUGE.

Of course the election of Pocahontas, Mad Maxine, Pelosi, Jim Clyburn and O-C to places of power in the House, has apparently brought an end to it.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Quote:
And it's clear the Markets dread the Democrats taking over.
Actually, it isn't clear at all.

1. The day after the election, the Dow surged 545 points, which I noted here.

2. Once again, there were two 1000+ point drops in the Dow in Feb, and it continued tanking in March, reaching a point almost 1000 points lower than it is now. It reached a peak of 26,616 on 1/26 and tumbled all the way down to 23,533 just shy of 2 months later. There was no election in February and March. What is your excuse for that?

Old 11-20-2018, 07:28 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oh yeah, and some of us know that. Unlike the person who started this thread.

I do think actions by the Obama administration resulted in the economy improving, and I do think Trump's corporate tax cuts and cutting regulations boosted the economy. I also think the uncertainty that Trump brings, and the tariffs will knock the top off of that upswing.
As long as you can see that. But also, in reality, it would have been nearly impossible for the market NOT to go up when Obama took over, and considering that Trump took over when the market was at almost a historically long run, its pretty obvious what was coming next. This stuff isn't rocket science, if people would remove their political bias from it they would be much better off.

I've been investing for 20+ years, and never made a decision based on who was in office, its all been about companies and where the market itself was. The only time I got screwed because of a POTUS was in fact with Trump, because I had zero expectation that he would win, and I was holding Smith & Wesson (AOBC) stock at the time, so obviously a R coming into power eliminated the whole "they are going to take your guns" trade.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
S&P 500 was 2126 when Trump was elected. Toped out at 2929 a month or so ago.

That's 38%, not 23% Try again. And close to 40% in less than 2 years, is YUGE.
"A month ago" ISN'T TODAY - as you claimed.
What's the matter, can't keep you own posts straight?
Or are you simply choosing to ignore what you wrote so you can cherry pick some long-lost gains?

But you are right - close to 40% in less than 2 year is YUGE. Too bad Trump couldn't sustain it the way Obama did.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies