Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 11:26 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I don't think it would matter who was president. Trump or Clinton, the bull market was long in the tooth for a long while and it was bound to go down again. It always goes through these cycles.

The problem President Trump has is that he 1) claimed credit for the bull market (which was long in the tooth and getting ready to slow down). Then, when it started slowing and showing some ups and downs, 2) he added volatility with Tweets and talk of trade wars (and because he claimed credit before, people are blaming him more than they normally would).

The end of the bull market would have happened anyway--with or without Trump. But his actions, tweets, etc has drawn attention to him in a way that won't benefit him or the Republican Party in elections. He's basically given ammunition to his opponents with these two actions.

The best thing he could do end this tariff thing quickly and talk more about job growth (which is still good) and try to work with an encourage American businesses (not threaten like he did to GM... which did no one any favors). Tesla has expressed interest in the GM plants and employees, Trump should try to encourage that deal and save jobs. I hope he does.

I think no matter what, the bear is coming. No bull market lasts forever.

You sound like you would be a better (smarter) President than the orange guy!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Thank you, Mr. Trump, for screwing up my portfolio.
Yea nothing to do with raising interest rates while they kept rates at zero to prop up the economy while Obama was president right?

Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
I don't think it would matter who was president. Trump or Clinton, the bull market was long in the tooth for a long while and it was bound to go down again. It always goes through these cycles.

The problem President Trump has is that he 1) claimed credit for the bull market (which was long in the tooth and getting ready to slow down). Then, when it started slowing and showing some ups and downs, 2) he added volatility with Tweets and talk of trade wars (and because he claimed credit before, people are blaming him more than they normally would).

The end of the bull market would have happened anyway--with or without Trump. But his actions, tweets, etc has drawn attention to him in a way that won't benefit him or the Republican Party in elections. He's basically given ammunition to his opponents with these two actions.

The best thing he could do end this tariff thing quickly and talk more about job growth (which is still good) and try to work with an encourage American businesses (not threaten like he did to GM... which did no one any favors). Tesla has expressed interest in the GM plants and employees, Trump should try to encourage that deal and save jobs. I hope he does.

I think no matter what, the bear is coming. No bull market lasts forever.
Pretty much spot on, but it is the tariffs that ended the bull market prematurely.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Pretty much spot on, but it is the tariffs that ended the bull market prematurely.

This. A recession likely would have happened probably during the first half of the next decade at some point. Because of Trump, it's now arriving a few years ahead of schedule and will be much more severe than it otherwise would have been.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:32 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Probably should start a new thread as this title is no longer accurate.
Someone did, last week. It got merged with this one.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Quote:
That is actually a fair argument to be had.

The point that many of us are making is, Trump was gloating and bragging day after day after day, tweeting about how great he was and how Trump himself was the reason the stock market was doing so well (though most informed people are well aware that a sitting POTUS usually doesn't have that much of an impact on the stock market).

But now that Wall Street has been in free fall for the last three business days, Trump is either blaming other people, or completely silent about it.

Not that I would expect any different from such a vindictive and self-centered human like Donald Trump, but when this are all rainbows and babies, he showers himself with praise, tooting his own horn. But when things go south, he's quick to point fingers and shift blame to someone else.

Trump and his minions here on City-Data can't have it both ways. Either take credit for both the gains and losses for the stock market, or don't get involved/claim credit for any of it.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
While normally the Executive Branch has little control over stock markets I give the capital gains cut a role in boosting markets that the tariffs more than cancelled out.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea nothing to do with raising interest rates while they kept rates at zero to prop up the economy while Obama was president right?
This went on for way too long.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:02 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
That is actually a fair argument to be had.

The point that many of us are making is, Trump was gloating and bragging day after day after day, tweeting about how great he was and how Trump himself was the reason the stock market was doing so well (though most informed people are well aware that a sitting POTUS usually doesn't have that much of an impact on the stock market).

But now that Wall Street has been in free fall for the last three business days, Trump is either blaming other people, or completely silent about it.

Not that I would expect any different from such a vindictive and self-centered human like Donald Trump, but when this are all rainbows and babies, he showers himself with praise, tooting his own horn. But when things go south, he's quick to point fingers and shift blame to someone else.

Trump and his minions here on City-Data can't have it both ways. Either take credit for both the gains and losses for the stock market, or don't get involved/claim credit for any of it.
This, and also, as I said before, markets dislike uncertainty, and Trump has provided that in spades.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

Look, I know the president, regardless of who that happens to be, has very little to do with what happens on Wall Street. However, in reflection of your sentiment here, I'd say we have a fair number of Obama minions on this site who need to follow these rules as well. Democrats are constantly trying to claim any and every victory Trump has for Obama, including claiming the stock market gains over the last 2 years were all the work of Barack Obama. So, I'd say it's time Democrats step up to the plate and claim Obama's responsibility for the losses in the market as well. Also, if and when the economy slows down, Obama should definitely come out and publicly take credit for that. Since he just recently publicly took credit for our current economic boom. It's high time reality set in for people who nearly worship our former president. The man was not the messiah, nor was he the "greatest president of our time". He did his best, and he stumbled all along the way. Just like every other man to sit in our highest seat of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies