Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 09:51 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
U.S. import prices fall 1.6% in November, biggest drop in 3 years
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-...dist=bigcharts

The cost of imports fell 1.6% in November, becoming the latest inflation gauge to recede from recent highs largely due to lower oil prices. It was the biggest decline in the import price index in more than three years.

My Trade update :

Buy #1 : at 24,480 exit yesterday at 24,750 for a small +270 profit

Buy #2 : active at 24,000 up 527 points at yesterdays close

Target adjusted south 500 points to 23,500, 23,000, 22,500
Before you wrote, "It reminds me of an old movie where the mummy just crawled out of the grave, dragging one foot, as he moved through the graveyard."

Funny, because when I read your comments, I'm reminded of when Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Scarecrow and the Lion attempt to question "Oz the great and powerful."

Oz didn't dig that none too much either...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Topic?

Not sure if this thread has morphed into some sort of source for investment guidance or about how "President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy," but to the latter ongoing misrepresentation...

Most of these news updates have little to do with Trump, and this is important for people who can't seem to distinguish cause and effect in this regard. The cost of imports, for example, coming off recent highs is "largely due to lower oil prices."

Given the title of this thread and the ongoing updates of positive economic news by the OP strikes me as just the sort of "smoke and mirrors" Trump and his supporters are inclined to propagate. Much like the snake at work that is a master at taking credit for work in front of the boss that was actually the work of another co-worker altogether. We all know the type...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
To make a long story the OP credited Trump for continuing the bull market but the bearish market has other factors to blame so now we have to engage in day trading and hope we get lucky.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Seems that the average little investor is losing confidence in the Trump stock market.

"With stocks tanking, pessimism among mom and pop investors hits highest in more than five years

A brutal fourth quarter for the stock market is exacting a substantial price on investor psychology, particularly for the mom and pop crowd.

Pessimism among retail investors is at the worst level in about 5½ years, according to the latest American Association of Individual Investors survey. The 48.9 percent of those who think the S&P 500 will be negative in six months is up 18.4 percentage points from last week’s reading and is the highest since April 11, 2013..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/13/pess...ive-years.html

MAGA!

Ken

Old 12-13-2018, 02:49 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Seems that the average little investor is losing confidence in the Trump stock market.

"With stocks tanking, pessimism among mom and pop investors hits highest in more than five years

A brutal fourth quarter for the stock market is exacting a substantial price on investor psychology, particularly for the mom and pop crowd.

Pessimism among retail investors is at the worst level in about 5½ years, according to the latest American Association of Individual Investors survey. The 48.9 percent of those who think the S&P 500 will be negative in six months is up 18.4 percentage points from last week’s reading and is the highest since April 11, 2013..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/13/pess...ive-years.html

MAGA!

Ken
Thats how it always works. Small investors get spooked and panic sell, driving prices further down while big investors and the institutions step in and take advantage. Always some speculation that the big investors and institutions are working to manipulate prices to shake out the weak hands.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
NASDAQ 2000 - approx. 4,000
NASDAQ 2018 - Approx. 7,000

3.2%

So much for the DOW being not "the market". The tech heavy index has done much worse.

Yet many are saying we've have a BULL market and need a correct....DOWN from that 3.2%.

Wow.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Thats how it always works. Small investors get spooked and panic sell, driving prices further down while big investors and the institutions step in and take advantage. Always some speculation that the big investors and institutions are working to manipulate prices to shake out the weak hands.
Many smaller investors left the stock market for good. % of Americans who own stocks has been heading down....and among younger Americans (who sense the game is rigged AND don't make as much as former generations), I think only 1/3rd own stocks.

Many people get spooked and never go back. I know quite a few folks who never put another penny in after the GWB Great Recession.

It may not make sense in the long run, but people who work for their money can't stomach seeing it go down 30 or 40%. The get "market PTSD" and get out.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
NASDAQ 2000 - approx. 4,000
NASDAQ 2018 - Approx. 7,000

3.2%

So much for the DOW being not "the market". The tech heavy index has done much worse.

Yet many are saying we've have a BULL market and need a correct....DOWN from that 3.2%.

Wow.
The DOW still isn't the market. The overall % return doesn't change that fact at all. Obviously an index with 30 companies in it isn't as well diversified as other indexes or mutual funds, and most likely the average investor isn't completely invested in a fund that tracks ne specific index.

The largest mutual fund in the world is the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...formance/VTSMX

It has $657B in AUM, those are the kinds of things small investors with IRAs and other accounts are invested in. That has a 14.4% return over the last 10 years (as of 11/30/18) and a 9.6% return since 1992.

https://www.thebalance.com/vanguard-...market-2466418

Quote:
VTSMX is designed to provide investors with exposure to the entire U.S. equity market, including small-, mid- and large-cap companies across both growth and value. The fund tracks the CRSP US Total Market Index, representing nearly 100% of the investable U.S. equity market.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Many smaller investors left the stock market for good. % of Americans who own stocks has been heading down....and among younger Americans (who sense the game is rigged AND don't make as much as former generations), I think only 1/3rd own stocks.

Many people get spooked and never go back. I know quite a few folks who never put another penny in after the GWB Great Recession.

It may not make sense in the long run, but people who work for their money can't stomach seeing it go down 30 or 40%. The get "market PTSD" and get out.
If people are scared of the market, don't understand it, don't have a decent amount of liquid savings, or dont have a long time frame for the money, then they don't belong in the market to begin with. And that is a good thing if those folks aren't in it.

I don't know what the GWB Great Recession is. Sounds like a recession named after a bridge in NY or a former president, either way I don't see either of those entities having caused that recession.

I definitely "work for my money" and while I don't like seeing it take a dive in value, I know what the future holds, and I'm quite happy to add money at these levels knowing my risk tolerance and time frame.

You seem like you know a thing or two about investing, yet you also seem like you are here stoking fear and uncertainty. Doesn't add up.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
DOW -280
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies