Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Personally I would like to see a decent correction in the market.

The left will get whiplash so quickly claiming its all on Trump.

It will be his market then.

Corrections are a healthy part of a market and often a buying opportunity.
If he is supposed to be responsible for the rapid rise isn't he responsible for the fall or correction as well? I mean lets keep the meta out of it since that's not how Trump and his supports roll.

Last edited by Noc; 01-11-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Q poll of yesterday shows that most Americans agree that the economy is doing well but far more credit Obama for it than Trump. Fancy that.
What most Americans know about when, where, how and why a president can significantly influence our economy, with or without the influence of Congress factored in, combining all the different economies of our 50 states and their local governments, not to mention the other economies in the world...

Makes any poll about what Americans think nothing more than that. Hardly a good read on what is actually happening to Americans or why.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Factor in the 26% who say their personal financial situation are "not so good" or "poor" and factor in the % that wouldn't give Trump credit for anything.

That's why I'm not a big believer in polls whether they be good or bad.

Polls are another piece of information and not the whole story.
True.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/economi...cks-1515682893

Obama had nothing to do with the economy we are currently in. Anyone who believes otherwise is not to bright.
Not too bright to argue Obama had "nothing to do with the economy," but I always argue that Americans seem to think the POTUS has far more influence than he/she really does. I could go on about what I think both Obama and Trump have done that has had either a positive or negative influence, both short-term and long-term, but I too am no expert. I know just enough to have confidence in the fact that our $20 trillion per year economy as part of the global economy is driven by many influences that over shadow what any one president can do in one year, one term, even two.

Something like the old tanker analogy and how long it takes to change a tanker's course as compared to a little dingy. The US economy is a huge supertanker, moving through economic waters shared by other huge supertankers flying the flag of China, the EU, the Middle East, the weather on the high seas not all too predictable...

Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Trump nor Obama are not responsible for this economy.

They just aren't.

But if a Trump fan is going to give Trump accolades for the stock market or job numbers....I will throw out the progress made while Obama was President.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Personally I would like to see a decent correction in the market.

The left will get whiplash so quickly claiming its all on Trump.

It will be his market then.

Corrections are a healthy part of a market and often a buying opportunity.
You mean like the knee-jerk reaction of Trump supporters that the rise is all thanks to him?

Paying attention to people who don't know better is like following astrology rather than astronomy.

Or like spending time in this forum rather than spending time productively...

I guess that's on me, but no doubt it's time to sign off before I waste a little too much time again this morning.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
If he is supposed to be responsible for the rapid rise isn't he responsible for the fall or correction as well? I mean lets keep the meta out of if since that's not how Trump and his supports roll.
That is one side of the equation.

The other side is :

If its not Trump's economy the down turn which will eventually happen can't be his either.

If its Obama's market wouldn't he get credit for a correction when it comes ?

That is the essential debate and reason for the thread.

At some point a majority will emerge and agree on who is effecting the market in the present.

Even when the present is 2020.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Day trading is a very real and profitable venture. My son in high school had time to do all kinds of short term money making. It financed his leisure activities quite nicely and reduced the need for student loans in university.

Don't be so sure -- short term gains aren't substnatial.
You misunderstand me...

I was once a day trader, but at the same time, I also had most of my investments tied to a longer-term strategy (retirement long-term), certainly diversified and rarely changed on a short-term basis. I did well as a day trader too. Of course that's always a possibility, just like winning big in Vegas...

Short-term, anything is possible, both good and bad. Long-term, my money is not on the day-trader (pun intended), though high-schoolers might be a good bet. No doubt there is some real sound investment experience, analysis and decision making going on there!

Reminds me of an article I read in the Wall Street Journal many years ago about how the portfolios of five of top stock advisers were compared to portfolios determined by throwing darts after a one-year period. The darts won.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That is one side of the equation.

The other side is :

If its not Trump's economy the down turn which will eventually happen can't be his either.

If its Obama's market wouldn't he get credit for a correction when it comes ?

That is the essential debate and reason for the thread.

At some point a majority will emerge and agree on who is effecting the market in the present.

Even when the present is 2020.
Not who, but what! Over what period of time? Where, when and how?

If we don't ask the right questions, we can't get to the right answers...

Old 01-11-2018, 11:34 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not who, but what! Over what period of time? Where, when and how?

If we don't ask the right questions, we can't get to the right answers...
OK

Trump has essentially striped the bark off of Obama's legacy over the last year. Most on the left agree with that and have complained about it.
He then whittled a wooden marital aid out of the tree as a visual aid to help explain what Obama did to the tax payer.
The largest tax increase in every living persons life to date. It had an impact on the economy. What and how much can be argued.

So Trump made a policy change and going forward we will see if its better or worse for most people. Regulations, healthcare, taxes all have an impact and time will tell the extent of success and failure. Everyone and anyone can make assumptions but they aren't facts.

Last edited by phma; 01-11-2018 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies