Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 06:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Important to remember: the stock market is affected more by world affairs than our politics regardless of the ups or downs: the economy is still going strong with low unemployment rate and nice growth and most of us are hanging in there. These are the issues that are somewhat controlled by who is in office. The stock market is not one of them or not responsible much for what is happening right now.

Yup -- the economy surges on with or without a decent President.

We get that -- others don't.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:53 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
lol - if any one of us really knew what caused the market to go up and to go down, we wouldn't be wasting our time on C-D.

But the rules for assigning blame and giving credit were established during the Obama administration: Good news => current admin gets credit, Bad news => previous admin takes blame. And, of course, there is no time limit on this.

So, bad market => Obama's fault.

You're welcome

Old 12-25-2018, 07:06 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Important to remember: the stock market is affected more by world affairs than our politics regardless of the ups or downs: the economy is still going strong with low unemployment rate and nice growth and most of us are hanging in there. These are the issues that are somewhat controlled by who is in office. The stock market is not one of them or not responsible much for what is happening right now.
You're far too smart a person to not understand that this president's actions are not having a negative effect on the stock market and other facets of the economy.

I realize that Trump is the only game in town for those who are conservatives. I really wish back in 2016, your party had given us someone like John Kasich or someone like Marco Rubio. (I would have voted for Kasich) You know if that had happened we wouldn't be looking at a President without a Secretary of Defense, without an Attorney General, and without a Secretary of Interior. Both Rubio and Kasich would have governed in a far more responsible manner. Nor, would they have shown such erratic behavior as the leader of this nation. Both of those men would have worked on uniting rather than dividing this country and only appealing to a small base.

I really wish I had an answer for those who want conservative government, but inwardly don't care for Trump or the direction he is taking the GOP.

I don't see Trump winning a second term. Its a shame he can't be beaten within the GOP during the primary process.

The stock market is a barometer of investment. What we are seeing now is a signal that investment isn't going to be what it has been. When investment dips, its inevitable that the rest of the economy dips with it. I do not know how severe it will be, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the dip in the stock market is the beginning of a recession. Its probably a little overdue anyway. Whether it deserves it or not, the President and the party-in-power generally get the blame for a recession. Trump's anemic 42% to 43% average approval rating has nowhere to go, but down.

Politics is simply a process. If the republicans are defeated in 2020, they will have accomplished much before leaving office. They cut taxes, they cut regulations, and they have gotten at least two appointments on the Supreme Court. The GOP will eventually be back in power and hopefully with a more responsible leader.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Just quoting this to make sure you can't edit or delete when the admin come to investigate this post.
So that dude has it down as to why the Dow is crashing?

There are probably 20+ other threads specifically about obesity in the USA....
SC - tho - is one example: White 29.6% Latino 27.8%

Hmmmmm......I wonder why someone would come to the "conclusion" that one of those ethic backgrounds is heavier than the other in SC (an entire state!). And, really, whether it's 25% or 30% or 35%, that is way too much. Pot calling the kettle black, I guess.

Now, back to why Trump is destroying our economy along with everything else in this country.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:16 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
But the rules for assigning blame and giving credit were established during the Obama administration: Good news => current admin gets credit, Bad news => previous admin takes blame. And, of course, there is no time limit on this.
Haha! You really think that's a new concept? Reagan blamed Carter for everything. Pretty sure he was still doing that into his second term. And he didn't start the blame game either.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:54 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Is there anyone who believes he is truly only 239 lbs? Heck, I've touched 215 and am 5 10 and play a mean game of tennis and ski and wear 36 waist jeans with plenty of room. He's gotta be a 40" waist...or more...
How tall is Trump? About 20 years ago, I got up to 250 at 6'3. It was all in my belly and I finally had enough and stopped eating as much. I'm 180 now.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
A. I really wish I had an answer for those who want conservative government, but inwardly don't care for Trump or the direction he is taking the GOP.

B. (recession) Its probably a little overdue anyway.

C. (accomplishments) Politics is simply a process. If the republicans are defeated in 2020, they will have accomplished much before leaving office. They cut taxes, they cut regulations, and they have gotten at least two appointments on the Supreme Court. The GOP will eventually be back in power and hopefully with a more responsible leader.
If I may address some of your comments.....I put letters before them so it would be more clear.

A. "conservative" government - is the complete opposite of what you consider "accomplishments" later in your paragraph. Tax cuts out of debt and deficits are not conservative. More deaths (disease, pollution) and failure to increase efficiency and productivity are not "conservative"....see C below...

B. I am repeating myself too much these days - but the DOW has made less than 5% a year compounded for 18 years - or 20 years. Both are LONG investment windows...it would be hard to argue that 4.75% is overheated and needs correction.
I see it the other way around. If not for Trump..or if Trump had some the right things, we'd be booming with many years left in the cycles. We are barely out of the last Great Recession (GOP governed in that case also)

C. See A above. Giving money you don't have away...for NO reason, is not conservative. Saying Tax cuts and bigger deficits are conservative seems a misuse of the word...they are SELFISH, and I guess if you define conservatism as selfishness they would fit.
As far as regulations this is, again, a lack of caring about the future and the general direction of the country. Under all those big bad Obama regulations we were doing 10% a year and more in the DOW. We were/are coming onto the world stage with companies like Tesla and massive amounts of renewable energy.

If we eat more poisoned food, swim in dirtier water and breath polluted air this is not "conservative". This is idiotic, as we are killing ourselves for some short-term corporate profits (which is even debatable - I think companies do better when they change with the times)....

No doubt that the GOP and "conservatism" are difficult to suss out these days. Your SCOTUS passed Citizens United...but yet the vast majority of Americans think it is not a good thing. Don't count on the SCOTUS to save us...this can often backfire.

There is the long view and the short view. Maybe conservatism is just "what can you do for ME NOW"? as opposed to a real plan for our children and their children?

Old 12-25-2018, 03:28 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rs-bear-market

Nikkei down 5%. Brace yourselves for tomorrow.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:53 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Obama had 8 years to fix EVERYHING, and fixed NOTHING. Why do the same problems persist? We now have yet another entitlement (Obamacare) we can't afford, and he added more to the debt than every President that came before him COMBINED!

Giving money away (the welfare state) doesn't work. I hope we can all agree to that. It buys a lot of votes, but doesn't help people improve themselves, or add to society in the long term.

I heard that only 22% of the budget is discretionary now, and NO politician will touch entitlements, so all we are voting for, and arguing about here, is a measely 22%. And, that 22% is shrinking due to interest on the debt (which will soon overtake defense spending).

We're debating over scraps. Revenues flowing into the Government are at all time highs, and yet, all that is left is table scraps. You all had better wake up and figure out that BOTH party's are robbing us blind.

We are all being played by the Red vs. Blue propaganda whilst both sides sell us all down the river. Problem is, nobody wants to wrestle that Alligator. That takes real intellect, deep introspection, thought, and problem solving.

That's just too much work, so carry on.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:19 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Obama had 8 years to fix EVERYHING, and fixed NOTHING.
Proof? Or maybe you're like Moses and this is just God given truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies