Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 10 days ago)

14,453 posts, read 9,528,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I just don't understand. Trump inherited a steady, healthy economy. Why is he being so stubborn about these trade wars? Appeasing his base? Time will tell if we are headed for recession in the next year, but things aren't looking good if this nonsense continues.

If we head into a recession before November 2020, Trump is toast and rightfully so.
If you don't know by now two things have happened. You know, but hate president Trump. or your Chinese.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 10 days ago)

14,453 posts, read 9,528,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What did he say about shooting someone on the street in NYC? You seem up on the exact quotes....what did he say about paying for lawyers if his "base" got rough with someone?

Interesting....that we have thousands of lies and misstatement from Individual One and yet you seem to always know he means well. You probably have 12K exact excuses......

"Trump's total of untruths hit 12,019 on Aug. 5"
You've caught up now... so you go easy.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:39 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,041,106 times
Consumer spending grows at twice the rate that was forecasted for July.

Retail sales surge in July in a reassuring sign for the U.S. economy

The numbers: Sales at U.S. retailers such as Amazon and Best Buy posted the biggest increase in July in four months, a sign Americans are still confident in the economy even as headwinds pick up.

Retail sales increased 0.7% last month, the government said Thursday. Economists polled by MarketWatch had forecast a 0.3% increase.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/re..._theo_homepage

Old 08-15-2019, 06:55 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,269,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

What happened in the stock market yesterday had nothing to do with Trump nor China, in case that's important to you.

That was an inversion of the yield curve with long-term interest rates were lower than short term.

Ain't no recession looming.

What you liberals need to do is overreach and overreact.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-15-2019 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 07:10 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,570,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What happened in the stock market yesterday had nothing to do with Trump nor China, in case that's important to you.

That was an inversion of the yield curve with long-term interest rates were lower than short term.
You make a statement which is completely false. ALL of the chaos in the markets, including the lowered bond yields caused by Trumps pressure on the Fed and the Fed itself noticing the Trump Slowdown...is what is responsible for that inversion.

Your statement is like saying "The housing bubble and monetary policy and deregulation of Wall Street had nothing to do with the inverted yield curve in 2005/2006.

"They perceive the near-term as riskier than the distant future."

Uh, that "near-term" being risky is TRUMP. I just heard interviews with some business leaders and they expressed it perfectly......he holds the baby up and says how healthy it is, then drowns it, then rescues it.....and that they (the business folks) have absolutely no idea what TRUMP is going to do the next minute or day that will ruin their plans or their businesses.

If I drink 10 beers and then crash my car, would you say "Drinking has nothing to do with it - all that happened was the Car Crashed, period"?

This is TRUMP. Business leaders and those who know the markets largely agree. Read.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:31 PM

19,377 posts, read 22,320,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Ain't no recession looming.

What you liberals need to do is overreach and overreact.
That means the short term economic outlook is worse than the long term, Einstein.

It’s neither liberal or conservative. It’s economics there Copernicus.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,416 posts, read 16,510,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You make a statement which is completely false. ALL of the chaos in the markets, including the lowered bond yields caused by Trumps pressure on the Fed and the Fed itself noticing the Trump Slowdown...is what is responsible for that inversion.
I'm no fan of Donald Trump and I'm a liberal extremist, but any presidential pressure on the Fed would be to lower interest rates. The Fed only controls short-term rates. If those are pushed down that generally raises long rates, causing a positive yield curve. There is nothing about short-term rates being lowered that encourages a negative yield curve. In fact quite the opposite. May Mr. Orange is too ignorant to understand that.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,493,965 times
I'm working at a financial company and all this volatility is great for the business. We're having parties every month.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 5,384,139 times
I thought Trump was totally against Feds lowering interest rate before his Presidency. Why did that change since he is in office now?

Old 08-16-2019, 01:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Again, if you weren't so uninformed/misinformed, you would know what he actually said.

It would be helpful to know what he actually said.

President Trump first unequivocally condemned the white nationalists. He then addressed the two groups of peaceful protesters (not ANTIFA, and not the white nationalists). That is who he was talking about when he said there were fine people on both sides.

And just so there was no possible way to misinterpret what he said, he immediately said that he was not talking about the white nationalists.

So if you actually heard what President Trump said, you would know without any doubt that President Trump never said white nationalists were fine people. In fact, he couldn't have made it clearer that he was completely condemning the white nationalists.

If you don't believe me, watch the press conference for yourself.
If you are certain what was said, go ahead and post a link to the video you are referring to. Then we can see for ourselves. Don't expect us to track down whatever video it is you are referring to.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.