Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 12:56 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
One of the analysts called it the bounce of a dead cat or something like that. Seems likely, given the way the rest of the week has gone.
Yeah 'dead cat bounce'. Historically pretty accurate.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dow close below 25K today.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Now we are officially below the first trading day, 26 months back, after Trump signed "tax reform from debt" and "tariffs and trade wars".

AND the start of this braggart thread. Still we have new cheerleaders stepping in telling us how great it is that the market went up to WAY BELOW where it should be.

We lost money for two plus years now.....when inflation is considered.

Yet the MSM keep repeating the BS and PR coming from the top "the underlying economy is good".....

It seems like anything less than a full recession or depression is "good".

I expect to see 23K or lower. Sadly for me...and many others.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:13 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Now we are officially below the first trading day, 26 months back, after Trump signed "tax reform from debt" and "tariffs and trade wars".

AND the start of this braggart thread. Still we have new cheerleaders stepping in telling us how great it is that the market went up to WAY BELOW where it should be.

Yet the MSM keep repeating the BS and PR coming from the top "the underlying economy is good".....

They said that in 2008 til a few weeks before the election and many started having the "oh *&^*" look in their eyes...

Hope it isn't this bad this time and I'm guessing its more based on a disruption and a bubble.. Still won't be pretty but I don't think it'll be as bad as 2008.. But I'm no expert..

Old 03-06-2020, 01:17 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
You notice how the Trump supporters disappear or have excuses when the market is down one day, and then come out from their hiding places when the economy is back up the next day? Can't take credit for the good if you don't also own the bad.

The real answer here is that Trump has little influence over the stock market, and the instability and daily up & down caused by coronavirus is out of Trump's control. But Trump supporters disappeared when the market first crashed, but then they come back for the days when it bouncing back.

Most Trump supporters are dishonest people, which is unfortunate.
Did you notice how the Trump opponents disappear or have excuses when the market went up over 1,000 points earlier this week?

Old 03-06-2020, 01:19 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
It took a Chinese created virus that spread around the world to ding the market temporarily. This can't be blamed on Trump.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It took a Chinese created virus that spread around the world to ding the market temporarily. This can't be blamed on Trump.
Oh my God take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:25 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Remember what commentator Paul Harvey used to say during such times: the only people that get hurt on roller coasters are those that jump off.

Soon after I retired in August 2018, I transferred all of my Thrift Savings (the Federal equivalent to a 401k) to Federal bonds. I missed the upswing, but I slept well, since I did not want to chance my retirement nest egg.

A friend of mine had also worked for the Federal government for years. His TSP was worth some $800,000. Three weeks ago he told me that he had also just transferred all of his money into bonds. He has been sleeping well for the past weeks.

Yet, if you have money in a 401k, stay put. The market will eventually recover.

I do feel for those that are very near retirement, watching their plans lose money each week.
i'll bet he feels pretty smug. and rightly so.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Did you notice how the Trump opponents disappear or have excuses when the market went up over 1,000 points earlier this week?
Uh no.... I totally expected a ‘dead cat bounce’.

I’m fiscally conservative and loathe Trump, and I could see the pinning of a sugar high market induced by the tax cuts. And our deficit makes it that much more difficult to deal with the possibility of a recession.

I didn’t vote for or support Captain Bankruptcy- apparently you did.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
And the trade and tariff wars and the resulting slowdown and chaos can't either?
The ballooning of the deficit for no reason whatsoever...so we have less of a rainy day fund?

The slow GDP before this and the need to lower interest rates because things were so bad???

They also are not the fault of the beloved and his followers?

Old 03-06-2020, 01:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Genuinely baffled by this "we lost money" nonsense. Its as if you insist everyone only has money locked up in some DJIA index fund, which is the most unlikely of scenarios.

Those of us who are diversified and not panic selling have literally lost nothing. My diversified portfolio of ETFs, mutual funds, and stocks have all done pretty well the last two years that you are complaining about, and have certainly not hit the negative overall for that period. I suspect there are MANY others out there like this, I'm nothing special. Just keep adding on dips incrementally and don't panic sell and there will be nothing lost, other than on paper. Most people should only own equities if they have a 3-5 year window before they need the money.

Most of this crying and panic here is just to try and score political points, its silly and ill informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies