Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Percent drop is more meaningful. A thousand point drop from 25,000 is much smaller than a thousand point drop from 10,000.

A 4% drop in one day is still Yuge, but it’s not as catastrophic as it looks at first.

Stocks do what they do. Unless a president does something crazy (like threaten to start a war or threaten to nationalize industries), the president has little influence on stocks. I’m no fan of Trump, but it’s hard to blame him for the drop. Stocks have been getting overvalued and we’ve been long overdue for a correction.
True, always the percentage, just like real estate values...

Once upon a time, a $10,000 increase in the value of a home represented a far more significant rise in value than it does just about anywhere in America today decades later. Same is true for the DJIA as it matures from where it was just one decade ago, now over double that value.

As for the rest, Trump's want of a military parade not had in this country for a very long time now is still more unsettling crap that is almost too hard to believe, but "believe it or not!"

Seems we're in for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with our stable genius toad at the wheel!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Most of us know this. And yet, he--and his cult--will take credit when it rises. Just look at the title of this thread. So it's only fair we give him equal credit for the drops as well.
That's simply not how the heads I win tails you lose game is played!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The point isn't to blame Trump for the collapse.

The point is that Trump and his Deplorables have repeatedly claimed that Donny is responsible for the previous market gains. If you claim responsibility over the markets, obviously you're also responsible when the markets dive. It's utter hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy or stupidity?

I think stupidity, because people can't be blamed for hypocrisy regarding what they don't understand...

Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its bickering when you parrot the same BS over and over. Its childish as hell. Everyone can see I have been talking about point drop all along. Do you have some kind of crush on me, or is there some other reason you follow me around like a lost puppy?
I think you make a cute couple...

Old 02-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not sure many are fearful -- a few might be...but I think the majority is saying this was going to happen -- the rise had nothing to do with Trump and the fall has nothing to do with Trump but if he and his fans want to own the ups -- we'll play that game and put it all on him -- wow he did a lousy job today -- lol.
I think a lot are also saying the market (and their investments thereof) were suddenly at a high not expected, well beyond expectations in fact, so a correction became more and more inevitable and as long as the correction doesn't bring us back down below where we were not too long ago, those of us longer-term investors are still better off regardless. So fear and or panic is not really the emotion, not here anyway.

Add the not-so-distant memory of what happened back in early 2009 and then soon after, plus the also inevitable profit taking so institutional investors can more likely claim an annual gain for their clients at year-end, and what do you have?

What you have is of no concern to most Americans who hardly have two nickels to rub together in the first place...

Old 02-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, it was the worst point drop ever. Its a fact.

You can keep denying it till your face turns blue.

So long.....
If/when the two of you drop this back-and-forth, that will be the newest biggest drop ever!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
it is like a jealous woman...irrational lol.
Glad I didn't say that...

Old 02-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Another day of a big loss today with over 1000 points loss and 4.5% loss. it not been a good week on the Dow Jones.
Never easy to weather through the corrections, and I'm not one to pretend past performance is indicative of the future, but it might be interesting for some to take a look at the last "great correction" that occurred during that last "great recession," and after the markets bottomed out, how soon after the DJIA was more than double in value.

Anyone know what double in value equals in terms of percentage?

NOTE one important difference however. We were with an economy in dire straights with almost nowhere but up to go. Now is a little different scenario...

Old 02-09-2018, 10:40 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
From my perspective, percent is the only correct way to compare markets YoY, and I also believe that the POTUS (Trump, Obama, Bush, any of them) don't deserve a fraction of the credit/blame they get for the economy.

The black hole is on both sides though, Democrats and Hillary supporters were screaming that Trump was going to crash the markets, Trump supporters are now saying she would have done the same and are giving him credit for its success.

The reality is that markets perform in cycles and there are many inputs, ONE of which is the POTUS and policies that come/go along with the POTUS. Giving the POTUS credit/blame for market ebbs and flows, especially over the course of a day or week like is going on now is just a lot of partisan hot air...might as well blame POTUS for the high and low tide or full moon while we are at it. Market cycles based on fundamentals are MUCH more at play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems we agree about most you comment, but I'm curious about your attempt to lump Democrats and/or Hillary into the same boat...

Of course I don't know about every word uttered by Hillary or Trump, but I don't ever recall Hillary "screaming that Trump was going to crash the markets." I Googled what Hillary said about Trump and the markets to see what I may have missed and all that comes up is what Trump continued to argue would happen to the markets if Hillary became POTUS! And lots of it!

Can you provide a link or back up about what you claim here?

Can't say every Democrat is innocent of this, but best I've been able to tell from listening to both sides is that Trump and his followers are order-of-magnitude far more guilty of this "partisan hot air" regarding the stock market than others...
Hillary supporters, not Hillary.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Hypocrisy or stupidity?

I think stupidity, because people can't be blamed for hypocrisy regarding what they don't understand...
The ever present condescending snobbery of liberals isn't the crumbs of attitude they invest well.

It is the biggest stock in their portfolio though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies