Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:26 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It means low property taxes and high taxes on everything else.

A similar model to the Euro social democracies.
Ok, so it’s a bit of a shell game. What matters is the total tax burden, no?

Personally I’d rather pay my taxes via income tax than via property tax. Property tax is a tax on shelter, which is a basic human need. It’s also a big risk shift onto the individual. If I lose my job, at least I’m not paying income taxes until I find a new job. But I’m always paying property taxes just to keep a roof over my head, regardless of employment status. Property tax is essentially rent paid on your “own” house. The city government becomes your eternal landlord, even if you pay off your mortgage. It’s also a regressive tax, since the poor spend a higher proportion of their income on housing. But I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 12:41 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Oh please. The entire USA feels more threatened by Trump than by California, or they wouldn't keep flocking to visit.

Trying to bash liberals with these disingenuous threads bashing California is getting very old. You should really find a new angle--these are epic thread failures.

"California’s travel industry grew in 2016 for the seventh consecutive year, according to Visit California, the state’s nonprofit tourism agency.

Preliminary findings in the group’s annual report suggest that travel spending in the state was $126.3 billion, up about 3% from 2015. The industry supported more than 1 million jobs, up 3.4% from last year..."

California tourism industry grows for the 7th straight year, report says - LA Times

Los Angeles and California break tourism records in 2014 - LA Times
And it obviously bothers you, else you wouldn't respond.....and you don't even live in California.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 PM

404 posts, read 193,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
butbutbut... 6th largest economy in the world!
Sadly, some of the greatest wealth inequality to go along with it. Look on the streets of cities like San Jose, San Francisco or Los Angeles, the homeless population is at least twice as much than many European cities.

Over there, it would be embarassing to boost about .........how big your economy is ..........when there are untold amounts of homeless people on the streets.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:56 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
You anti-California guys n gals are hilarious. Keep in mind, CA is not thinking about you like you think about her.
Like a bunch of horny teenagers angrily dissing a beautiful 21-year old they know they'll never have a chance with. Meanwhile, she doesn't even know they exist.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:05 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Like a bunch of horny teenagers angrily dissing a beautiful 21-year old they know they'll never have a chance with. Meanwhile, she doesn't even know they exist.
There’s an element of truth to that analogy, I think.

I’ll take your analogy further: any beautiful woman knows that men will put up with a LOT of her crap just so he can be with her.

I don’t want to put up with a lot of crap, so I married upstate NY.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:24 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There’s an element of truth to that analogy, I think.

I’ll take your analogy further: any beautiful woman knows that men will put up with a LOT of her crap just so he can be with her.

I don’t want to put up with a lot of crap, so I married upstate NY.
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Over half a mile for 2100 sqft? Hahahaha.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Here's what cherry picking looks like:

400k small home in Austin:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...142_rect/9_zm/
That's because Austin is trying to be California liberal but they aren't bad enough.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:54 PM

590 posts, read 554,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Nice try, if you actually look close at your photo, notice how the people actually have a house...... I bet a house that costs 750k in California....
That's one of the reasons a lot of Californians have moved away from that state, I think the biggest reason is the sorry excuse for a government in Sacramento.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
What conservatives want for the rest of the country.....
Looks better than downtown LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies