Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Texas has big cities. Can you show me areas like the one in the OPs video?
Under a freeway in Houston.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 01:48 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,626,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You didn't understand a thing I said. Do you want us to show you homeless people and dumpy neighborhoods in Houston? Or Tulsa? We can do that. But if we do, don't complain to us that those cities are liberal islands in red states, because, as I said, ALL big cities (or at least the vast majority of them) tend to be liberal. If you want us to show you conservatives in poverty, we have little choice but to show you rural poverty, because conservatives tend to prefer living in rural areas.

Get it? Urban = liberal; Rural = conservative.

Thusly ...

Urban poverty = liberal area; Rural poverty = conservative area.
I understand what you are saying, but if that is the case how is it cherry picking to show this video in the context that the OP did? You admit you can't find the same thing in more conservative areas anywhere close to how you can find it in liberal areas.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:49 PM

I just showed a homeless camp in Houston. Is that sufficient?

Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Under a freeway in Houston.

A few people under one bridge isn't wide spread.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
You admit you can't find the same thing in more conservative areas anywhere close to how you can find it in liberal areas.
There is widespread poverty in many rural areas. In fact, rural areas are some of the most poverty-stricken parts of the US (particularly Appalachia). But, the nature of rural areas is people tend to be spread out - otherwise they wouldn't be rural! Since they're more spread out, you're less likely to find large numbers congregated together like that. It's just the nature of rural areas.

Here's something to read: In Rural America, Homeless Population May Be Bigger Than You Think
Quote:
About 7 percent of homeless people live in rural areas, but homeless advocates say services in those areas don't get as much federal funding as they deserve — partly because the number of homeless people might be underestimated.

Official homelessness numbers come from the point-in-time count: A 24-hour tally of a community's homeless population on the streets or in shelters. But in rural areas such as Wyoming and South Dakota where shelter space is scarce, people often crash with friends or stay in cheap motels on cold nights.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM

693 posts, read 356,803 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but if that is the case how is it cherry picking to show this video in the context that the OP did? You admit you can't find the same thing in more conservative areas anywhere close to how you can find it in liberal areas.

Do you know what cherry picking is?

Yes, Cali has a very large homeless population compared to other states, it's also the most populated state.

However, it's cherry picking, because most of the state is NOT like that video. It's estimated that cali has about 115k homeless people. That's out of nearly 40 MILLION.

It's cherry picking, because it's a rather large state, with so many great areas, yet the video concentrates on just a speck of a section.

The whole point behind the OPs cherry picking, was to show that small section, and try to make some retarded claim that this is what liberals want for the whole country.

Anyone of us can cherry pick data. I can easily point out the many failings in states like mississippi, alabama, west virginia, etc....and claim that's what conservatives want for america.

God, I wish people would stop with these petty attacks that get us nowhere and do nothing more than divide us even more.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,200 times
Also, 1/3 of the safest cities in the US are in CA
The 28 safest American cities to live in - Business Insider

Old 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
A few people under one bridge isn't wide spread.
As of 2013, the rural poverty rate was 2% points higher than the overall US poverty rate.

So yes, I would call that widespread. Poverty in rural areas is widespread, moreso than in urban areas.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:59 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
High Taxes. High Housing Costs. High Regulation. High UN-Employment and High Amounts Of Illegals = What you see in this video.

Please view the video below. This is dream liberals want for our country. They want you to feed off the government and be broke/homeless, or they want to Tax you death.
Weak. As if anyone couldn't post a pic from some hell-hole in Mississippi and insist that is what conservatives want for the rest of country.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Do you know what cherry picking is?

Yes, Cali has a very large homeless population compared to other states, it's also the most populated state.

However, it's cherry picking, because most of the state is NOT like that video. It's estimated that cali has about 115k homeless people. That's out of nearly 40 MILLION.

It's cherry picking, because it's a rather large state, with so many great areas, yet the video concentrates on just a speck of a section.

The whole point behind the OPs cherry picking, was to show that small section, and try to make some retarded claim that this is what liberals want for the whole country.

Anyone of us can cherry pick data. I can easily point out the many failings in states like mississippi, alabama, west virginia, etc....and claim that's what conservatives want for america.

God, I wish people would stop with these petty attacks that get us nowhere and do nothing more than divide us even more.
So, by becoming a sanctuary state the idea was not to increase this problem, but to make it better? Please explain why California thinks this is a good idea to let more illegal immigrants, because I think this is where the OP is going with this. Letting in more undocumented people increases this problem doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies