Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 05:19 AM

776 posts, read 955,681 times

Advertisements

Sears Canada has closed every one of their stores in the past few months.

Now holding a clearance sale that few people are interested in going to.

XXX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 05:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Both Sears and Macy's have been in financial trouble for many years. This is not a surprise.

The Sears store nearest to us (over in Pennsylvania) has closed within the last year. By the way, that area is anything but a "less booming" area. The growth in that area (Western PA) has been quite robust in the last decade, where we've seen a large new shopping mall open, and major development around it. Home Depot built a store in the area, and also Lowe's.

But failing companies will close. Radio Shack has also closed it's store in that area (another company that has had financial difficulty for many years).

I realize you're trying to equate this with President Trump's policies somehow.

Thread Fail!

Old 01-05-2018, 05:23 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
From the linked article:
Quote:
Sears Holdings, hasn't turned a profit since 2010
consumers have voted and sears business model gets a thumbs down.
Please statists, no more bailouts

Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Both Sears and Macy's have been in financial trouble for many years. This is not a surprise.

The Sears store nearest to us (over in Pennsylvania) has closed within the last year. By the way, that area is anything but a "less booming" area. The growth in that area (Western PA) has been quite robust in the last decade, where we've seen a large new shopping mall open, and major development around it. Home Depot built a store in the area, and also Lowe's.

But failing companies will close. Radio Shack has also closed it's store in that area (another company that has had financial difficulty for many years).

I realize you're trying to equate this with President Trump's policies somehow.

Thread Fail!
Actually, on my Macy's thread, you will find my post stating that I did this for sarcasm and I don't personally believe it's Trump.

But, nononsenseguy, let me ask you this: if we can have thread after thread of economic success stories posted on the Politics and Other Controversies board (and all of them are attributed to Trump, BTW) should we not also be posting stories about areas of the economy that are not successes? Because there are winners and losers in every economy.

I'll ask another question also: If Macy's and Sears announced yesterday and today, that they were opening 100 new stores and hiring another 5,000 employees, would you have credited Trump for that? You actually don't have to answer because I already know what you answer that.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Online shopping is eating bricks and mortar stores for lunch.

Convenience, cost, selection, ... all factor in.

Customer service is the only advantage physical stores have and Sears has been on a downward spiral in this area for some time.
I love shopping online from the convenience (and warmth during winter) of my home. Often, you even get free shipping. Why go out when you can find what you want online?

By the way, we shop at Walmart online, and have also bought online from other retailers (J.C. Penny, Kohl's, etc) that also have "brick-and-mortar" stores, so it isn't just Amazon and other non-brick-and-mortar retailers that are the reason for store closures.

How is online shopping different from catalog shopping which made Sears so famous for so many years? I don't remember any Sears stores anywhere in our area as a kid. It was always the catalog that my parents bought from.

I also knew Radio Shack as a catalog retailer as a kid. There were no Radio Shack stores that I know of.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:34 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I didn't know Sears still had 100 stores left.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I never shopped at Sears for clothing. For a woman, I think their clothing is just awful and always has been. However, I sort of liked their appliances back in the day. I think most people in my area are not getting appliances through Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc. I absolutely HATE going into those stores for appliances because you can't get a person to even look at you. I just wonder why they couldn't keep afloat in, at least, that department.
I have never had a problem getting sales people to help me at Home Depot or Lowe's. And their people have always been knowledgeable and friendly. We have always bought pain at Home Depot, and Behr paint is the best!

Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Sears employees anticipating layoffs might want to consider applying at UPS and FedEx, as those delivery giants are reaping the rewards of online merchandising.

Just a thought...

Old 01-05-2018, 05:40 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sears has been doing as poorly as it has because the CEO believed he knew better than the customers. Would they be the center they were in the past? No, but ego has really hurt them.
Eddie Lampert was the worst thing to happen to that company. He's just milking the real estate for all it's worth. You better believe he's gonna make out like a bandit when Sears finally goes under.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:41 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
The idiot at Sears who bought Kmart years ago should be shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies