Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 AM

15,499 posts, read 10,440,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Where have you been? Craftsman's long gone. It was gone even when Sears was around. Their only claim to fame was the Made in USA stamp. When they gave that up, they became another Harbor Freight tool.
Yep, the only place to buy a good Craftsman's tool is an estate sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:49 AM

25,804 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Online shopping is eating bricks and mortar stores for lunch.

Convenience, cost, selection, ... all factor in.

Customer service is the only advantage physical stores have and Sears has been on a downward spiral in this area for some time.
Where are we going to try on clothes? The future of retail is a mystery to me.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,176,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Sears and Macy's need to change their name to Sears Coal Energy and Macy's Coal Corporation; and move their headquarters to West Virginia.

Then Trump and all his supporters will claim online shopping is a liberal hoax, Amazon is an unprofitable company subsidized by the government, and Trump will try to pass laws to create more Sears and Macy's jobs.

That post makes no sense.....

Sears was done in not by Trump or by Obama's policies.

Sears was done in by horrible management and they deserve exactly what they are getting.
Other retail companies found ways to do it better, cheaper, faster, while Sears management sat around doing nothing. Do you realize that Sears could have used their catalog business and done what Amazon is doing? They had a head start on everyone. And they failed miserably.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:42 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,176,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Dont fall for it. The liquidators are raising prices to lower them.

Depends on the individual store. ALOT.

Employees in some of the closing stores are being recruited in store while they work as the Sears store closes. Some have had 5 or more offers. In many areas there is a shortage of people willing to work for chump change that can pass a drug test.

Eddie Lampert IS the worst thing but there is a plan there only he knows. Eddie is as ruthless as they come and mean as hell.

Why Sears is failing and closing stores - Business Insider

He would ruin a million people if it would make him a dollar, but don't think there is not a plan. He wins no matter what. He already has his initial investments back by multiples.

My guess is two track: 1 Bankrupt it in 2018 or...

2 Should Sears make it to 1 year from today this is my guess.

"Miraculously" the 200-300 Sears left will suddenly be "profitable", quite possibly after he owns the whole thing 100%. In fact it was a shell game all along; shifting costs here and there to make losses look bigger will suddenly shift elsewhere and Eddie will own the whole thing. It will be some variation on this using accounting concepts few understand.
Great article. I though 2017 would be it for Sears, in fact I had bought some put options to cover that possibility. They made it through '17, but I can't see how they make it another year. Retailers do not come back from this type of situation -- it's almost impossible. Sears has been beaten by Wal Mart, Target, Home Depot, and the internet. Game's over.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:42 AM

8,343 posts, read 4,329,659 times
Sears has being going down hill for years. I'm surprised they haven't disappeared all together. About their only redeeming grace has been craftsman tools and they are going downhill as well.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,906,412 times
The selling point of Sears was that friendly salesperson in a suit that knew what they were selling and could guide you every step of the way. I miss those days, hard to find that kind of service anymore unless you go to a high-end luxury store. And I have been doing that a lot more lately because I find general consumer grade appliances and other products to be cheap asian sweatshop built garbage.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:45 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,482,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

I realize you're trying to equate this with President Trump's policies somehow.

Thread Fail!

Then when ever you post a thread saying that business is up because of Trump it's also a fail.

IN the real world we call that double standards.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:01 AM

46,219 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Then when ever you post a thread saying that business is up because of Trump it's also a fail.

IN the real world we call that double standards.
Fail.....did you read the article and not comprehend it? This started in 2016.......

Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 AM

7,186 posts, read 6,769,419 times
Very good read.

How Eddie Lampert set Sears up to fail - Business Insider

Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,846,062 times
I've not read all of the responses, but I agree that Sears needs to do something different if they want a chance at survival.

I actually really like Sears for mattresses, appliances, tools, children's clothing, menswear and homewares. As I said in an earlier post, their women's clothing however does nothing for me.

Another issue I have though, is that what they have in store is sometimes not on their website.

As a mother of 3, it is easier to shop online - but with Sears I've found that they have better stuff on the racks that can't be found online.

For instance, passing through Sears (on our way into the mall) with my kids in the fall, I spotted some seriously cute little boys tracksuits for only $14. My kids weren't in the mood to wait for me to buy anything so I figured I'd just look them up online.

Nope. Couldn't find them. That's happened with other things as well. I did end up making a special trip to Sears and bought 4 of them for my boys- but it would have been far more convenient to locate them on the website.

Definitely a fail, on Sears part!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies