Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In the early 2000s I was visiting a provincial capital city in China (one that now has an administrative area population of over 5 million). I asked one of our tour guides what the average salary was there for a doctor. She said the equivalent of $300 USD per month.
More interesting would be what it was in 1980 and what it is today. In general, Chinese have seen their real wages increase 20-fold in the last decades while it has been largely flat in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"Tell us again how superior a single payer system is."

I have asked many times, and never get a response from those that want govt run health care insurance, IF the gov't provided care is so GOOD, why do so many have to buy PRIVATE insurance in addition, to cover what the gov't care does NOT provide.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
This thread is a fine example of how the right-wing wins elections. They take a story and distort it beyond all proportion.

The title of this thread is totally misleading and is meant to deceive.

Anyone who took the time to read the story would fine that Britain is undergoing a flu crisis that is overwhelming the system. To cope with this situation 50,000 noncritical surgeries were being postponed. The third world conditions were the result of the flu crisis and was obviously hyperbole.

It could happen in this country as well if we had such a crisis. The only difference is that we would have people dying on the street.
"This thread is a fine example of how the right-wing wins elections. They take a story and distort it beyond all proportion."

Now THAT is funny.

Reminds me of the TV ad the dems ran showing what looks like Paul Ryan pushing granny off the cliff.

And W. Bush driving the pick-up truck dragging the black man behind it.

And all the lebs whinning and crying the street becaue trump won.

They had to go to their "safe" places with their crayons and had to get therapists to "help" then through their "trauma".

And, and, and, I could fill PAGES with the left crying "the world will come to an end if the repubs pass/do this"

Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes, that's what I said. Sort of......... Well said BNW!! Jolly good show!!

I would rep you, but I did earlier on, so can't at the moment.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:05 AM

304 posts, read 295,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I have asked many times, and never get a response from those that want govt run health care insurance, IF the gov't provided care is so GOOD, why do so many have to buy PRIVATE insurance in addition, to cover what the gov't care does NOT provide.
I’m not sure I understand this question. Lack of private rooms doesn’t mean the healthcare is poor. Not approving non essential procedures likewise doesn’t indicate poor care. These are both some reasons people under single payer might buy private insurance.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
This is how for profit insurance works, as well.

Yes, American hospitals often have to decide to cancel non essential surgeries in favor of devoting resources to a crisis. Unfortunately the fir profit system also makes it likely that they won’t divert those resources, thus increasing probability of higher fatalities.
You are saying the federal government is more proactive than private industry. Sure I believe that.

During a hurricane or accident like what happened with the train near Seattle resources have to be diverted for a number of hours or in the worst case a few days. And that is just in the effected regions not all over the country.

Clearly the infrastructure in Britain regarding the healthcare system is not sufficient. But I am sure those that can afford private insurance or pay out of pocket can get whatever surgery they want done. A two tier system of health.

For example my mom is retired on Medicare. Even with the supplement she pays $200 a month out of pocket and the available primary care doctors keeps shrinking every year. Medicare reimburses them slower than private insurance and pays less. Many doctors opt out of the government insurance plans. I don't blame then.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
But its not medical professionals, its politicians and bureaucrats determing the needs.
Quote:
Sir Bruce Keogh, NHS medical director, on Tuesday ordered NHS trusts to stop taking all but the most urgent cases, closing outpatients clinics for weeks as well as cancelling around 50,000 planned operations.
Prior to becoming NHS medical director, Keogh was a cardiac surgeon with specializing in reconstructive mitral valve surgery. He has done much to improve the health of Brits before stepping into this position with the NHS.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You are saying the federal government is more proactive than private industry. Sure I believe that.

During a hurricane or accident like what happened with the train near Seattle resources have to be diverted for a number of hours or in the worst case a few days. And that is just in the effected regions not all over the country.

Clearly the infrastructure in Britain regarding the healthcare system is not sufficient. But I am sure those that can afford private insurance or pay out of pocket can get whatever surgery they want done. A two tier system of health.

For example my mom is retired on Medicare. Even with the supplement she pays $200 a month out of pocket and the available primary care doctors keeps shrinking every year. Medicare reimburses them slower than private insurance and pays less. Many doctors opt out of the government insurance plans. I don't blame then.
The private health care system simply does not work when "consumers" are not informed. You cant shop around for the best value heart surgery when you're having a heart attack. Price gouging is rampant at all levels of the health care system, unnecessary treatments is also a common occurance. Just because they can earn more money that way.

If you honestly think a privatized system is so great, why has every other country rejected it?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 AM

417 posts, read 345,435 times
I would also just like to say the United Kingdom has a population of 63M The United States has 323M. It would be much harder to implement universal healthcare in an effective way, in a country our size. We would need to raise our taxes hundred of billions of dollars more to fund it.
How much would Bernie Sanders

Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

What’s your opinion on Medicare? Seems to work ok for my 93 year old grandma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies