Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 06:02 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
If only there were some mechanism to force them to pay for coverage that could then be used to charge for services rendered.

Is it too much to ask an able-bodied adult to pay $120 a month?

By the way, Medicaid does not pay for ER services unless that person is actually enrolled.

I want you to have faith in this, because it is a physical constant as certain as gravity. The hard sciences empirically observe that it is impossible to get Medicaid to pay for something it doesn't have to.

Otherwise, the hospital factors the receivable to a debt collector. Tom, Dick and Harry are now too broke to afford the Oxford comma and their credit rating includes a debt in collections.
Yeah, and the hospitals want to be compensated so they make sure to get those people enrolled. The cost that the hospital eats is then shifted to those of us who buy insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 06:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sorry but no, that is not correct.

United States market driven healthcare system means just that, as a whole this nation pays more for medications than elsewhere in world. Equally yes, because they can get away with it the sums extracted from the USA market goes to subsidize things elsewhere.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...0S61KU20151012

https://www.economist.com/blogs/econ...ist-explains-2

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-drug-prices/

This is why the US pays more for prescription drugs - Business Insider

The Hepatitis C drug Sovaldi costs about $1,000 *per pill* (or more) in USA. Meanwhile in India it is down to around $4/ea.
Your point is a non-sequitur. I'm not claiming the US pays less. What I'm stating is that research isn't limited to the US nor does the US have an exclusive lock on the most advanced treatments and procedures.

You pay more for the same pharmaceuticals, maybe that's something you want to look into. That's not the fault of the rest of the world. It's not subsidizing, in the sense you pay more for a drug so Bolivians can pay less. Your just getting shafted and claiming moral superiority that you're getting the shaft.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh here I'm thinking you guys moved onto gaslamps. Do you all still have the high tank pull chain toilets?
We have just moved to a high tank pull chain toilet. It's been fitted in the toilet in the back yard. Much better than the tippler toilet we had before. Still got cut up newspaper stuck on a nail though. Next step is the newfangled toilet rolls.........

Old 01-06-2018, 06:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We have just moved to a high tank pull chain toilet. It's been fitted in the toilet in the back yard. Much better than the tippler toilet we had before. Still got cut up newspaper stuck on a nail though. Next step is the newfangled toilet rolls.........
LOL I love having so much snark this early on a Saturday morning. It warms my cold dark heart.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:44 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL I love having so much snark this early on a Saturday morning. It warms my cold dark heart.
Snark, or sarcasm is an English speciality....... I don't like to use it too much on c-d, because I know it upsets some folks. We do it all the time at each other here in England. Practise makes perfect.......

I am tempted when threads about the NHS start. The ignorance displayed is astounding, and that starts my sarcastic nature up..........

Many Americans never even see the outside of America, never mind the inside of a NHS hospital. I have, and do. I was all over our local hospital last year following my wife's mother around as she had an operation on her hip, and then the recovery afterwards. I was as proud of the NHS as I have ever been in my life. The way they looked after a 91 year old woman was great to see.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:49 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Non essential surgeries have been postponed due to an epidemic. That can happen anywhere. It has nothing to do with single payer. You are being intellectually dishonest, Frank.

And besides, how would our market based system handle this situation? Oh yeah...the people who can't afford medical care wouldn't be in the hospital anyway so there would be no shortage of beds. Those people would be at home dying, just like the Republicans would like them to do.
This is a ridiculous mischaracterization but it's the sort of thing that the Cult will pass around and spin up into a fantasy about the horrors of single payer. The last part of your statement is undoubtedly true. Corporate "health care", particularly insurance companies would LOVE it if the high risk patients would go away. They are a threat to the bottom line without a doubt.

The opposition to single payer, social security and even Medicare are driven by nothing more complex than simple greed.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:53 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Snark, or sarcasm is an English speciality....... I don't like to use it too much on c-d, because I know it upsets some folks. We do it all the time at each other here in England. Practise makes perfect.......

I am tempted when threads about the NHS start. The ignorance displayed is astounding, and that starts my sarcastic nature up..........

Many Americans never even see the outside of America, never mind the inside of a NHS hospital. I have, and do. I was all over our local hospital last year following my wife's mother around as she had an operation on her hip, and then the recovery afterwards. I was as proud of the NHS as I have ever been in my life. The way they looked after a 91 year old woman was great to see.
Thanks for bringing some real perspective into the forum. Embarrassed to say it but you are absolutely correct about many of my fellow Americans. We'd like to hear more about the NHS from your outlook since most of us have no direct experience.

Have you seen American health care? What are some of the comparisons in quality? Is the UK taxation rate onerous or reasonable?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:38 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

The Hepatitis C drug Sovaldi costs about $1,000 *per pill* (or more) in USA. Meanwhile in India it is down to around $4/ea.
Is it the identical pill? Or is it an illegal knock off generic, and without the same effectiveness as our $1000 pill?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
A state of emergency due to a severe flu epidemic.

Quote:
The chaos follows a rise in flu cases when many hospitals were already close to capacity, with high numbers of frail patients stuck on wards for want of social care.

By Tuesday night 12 NHS trusts - including two ambulance services covering almost nine million people - had declared they had reached the maximum state of emergency.

One ambulance trust resorted to taxis to ferry patients to hospital, while another asked patients to find a family member to get them to hospital, with paramedics stuck outside A&E units in record numbers.
NHS hospitals ordered to cancel all routine operations in January as flu spike and bed shortages lead to A&E crisis

Old 01-06-2018, 08:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
what does non-essential mean and who determines the meaning? I dont want my health care to determined by the whims of bureaucrats.
You won't die without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies