Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
But the government places you on the voting rolls, based on your residence or citizenship status and your address, all of which they have on their data bases. Showing a picture ID is a conffirmation check, just before you vote. But it is user friendly for a voter and there's no discrimination.
And there is NOTHING stopping the state's from handing them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:33 AM

9,144 posts, read 13,173,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
But the government places you on the voting rolls, based on your residence or citizenship status and your address, all of which they have on their data bases. Showing a picture ID is a conffirmation check, just before you vote. But it is user friendly for a voter and there's no discrimination.
They do that here in New York State also. When I go to vote, my name is already on a preprinted list, along with everyone else in the area.

Now there maybe people who are NOT on the list who try to vote, that is the question. For instance, claiming they moved into the area earlier in the year. Not sure how that works.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
They do that here in New York State also. When I go to vote, my name is already on a preprinted list, along with everyone else in the area.

Now there maybe people who are NOT on the list who try to vote, that is the question. For instance, claiming they moved into the area earlier in the year. Not sure how that works.
You get a provisional ballot in general. They generally are not counted in the regular numbers. If there was a call for a recount or in a very close election, their veracity would then be looked at.

If the count is 25,000 to 17,000 and there are 500 provisional ballots there is no need to go to the costs of verifying them but the parties involved need to see that the conflict gets rectified before the next election.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:24 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,425,043 times
Show me the voter fraud and I'll be fine with voter IDs. It's a reasonable concept except it's been introduced specifically to help Republicans win elections.

You have to register to vote previously to be able to vote. Is this not the case everywhere? In that case you can't just walk into a voting place give a fake name and vote.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM

36,160 posts, read 30,636,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It isn't happening. I'm not going to jump through additional hoops to ease your unfounded concerns.
I don't care if you vote or not.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I don't care if you vote or not.
More importantly, the courts are not going to require it.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,671,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No, everyone would have an electronic voting machine on a closed network. While on the topic that voting machine will be open source hardware and software. It's going to have a printout behind glass, when you are done voting it will display the results of who you voted for on the printout. Machines will be randomly audited to insure the paper trail matches the electronic vote.

I don't see how that would possible at least how I would envision it because it would be on a closed network.
OK, so you're saying that every polling place is in a nationwide network, and I could access the ballot for my district from any polling place in the US.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:43 AM

36,160 posts, read 30,636,498 times
Quote:

Here if your name isnt on the list for that district they will check the other polling places and direct you where to go. If it is not then you did not file a change of address and you dont get to vote.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 AM

9,144 posts, read 13,173,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Show me the voter fraud and I'll be fine with voter IDs. It's a reasonable concept except it's been introduced specifically to help Republicans win elections.

You have to register to vote previously to be able to vote. Is this not the case everywhere? In that case you can't just walk into a voting place give a fake name and vote.
To me the long term problem of not having voter ID is more theoretical then actual. It can undermine the belief that elections are free and fair. This is especially true if just one of the political parties is against using voter ID. What is their reasoning, what are they really trying to do by be against voter ID?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
To me the long term problem of not having voter ID is more theoretical then actual. It can undermine the belief that elections are free and fair. This is especially true if just one of the political parties is against using voter ID. What is their reasoning, what are they really trying to do by be against voter ID?
All states have voter ID laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies