Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

Sure, there are lots of issues - almost an unlimited number of them...

However, a former diplomat to China was being interviewed and clearly laid out the current state of the world. He didn't mention Russia - because they are such losers - so forgive me if I thrown them into the mix a little bit.

After WWII the "world standard" was "The American Way of Life". Sure we made a LOT of mistakes, did a lot of bad things, etc. etc. - but the basics were that much of the population of the world (assuming they understood our country) looked up to it as the way to be...for lack of a better word, I will use liberal democracy with regulated capitalist economy. Over the decades, the leading countries of Europe - which were quite advanced after we helped them get back on their feet - were part of the same Bloc. Although there were always differences, there was much more in common in terms of ideals (not always in these ideals being held to), but in the ideal of what the next 50-100-150 years would look like.

But as we say in business, you can only milk the cow so much until she runs dry. Between Korea, Vietnam, going off the Gold Standard, refusal to deal with Energy use, inability to address health care or rail or any other such large scale systems.....combined with Watergate and Abscam where we found out our President and pols REALLY were crooks. It only got worse from there - now we bow down to the biggest crooks. Iraq, Afghanistan, The Great Recession...I could go on, but the poor Cow has not only been milked, but it's neck slit and the blood drunk and whatever meat left over long gone (to the connected).

The world knows this now. Communication and travel have made it very easy to know what is happening almost anyway.

So, we still have the vast majority of the world (Africa, large sections of the Middle East and much more) which have never developed. One report said soon that Africa would have 25% of the world's workforce!

As it stands now, there are basically two solutions.

1. The American Way (the current American way - which is a plutocracy...a bit of an oligarchy...has terrible poverty and has killed vastly more citizens of other countries than the other players in the past decades.

2. The Chinese Way. According to the Diplomat, the Chinese are in every county on the planet and actually helping the people. Yes, they are there for business reasons also - helping the people take advantage of their resources (what builds you cell phones, etc.). But there is a BIG difference. The current deal with UK and the USA and even North Korea (who mines in Africa) is basically chaos and theft. You find a tribe who sits on a deposit and make a deal with the chief.

The Chinese build a railway. They build hospitals. They automate industries and build factories - AND, perhaps most important, they realize that their preference is to work with another NATION and that nation will and should make most (a fair) profit on the resources and labor that is used.

Again, according to the Diplomat, the Chinese have "packaged" their entire system. They will electrify your country, install internet (pre-censored) and provide everything from consumer goods to consulting for said country to build a relatively peaceful (no colonial) society.

3. Russia - they aren't selling anything except perhaps defending many Muslim countries in exchange for bases and ports and peace. They do not believe in the Western Way in any way, shape or form. Of course, they are right here in the USA investing MANY Billions (laundering money and hedging their bets). But no country on earth is calling Putin asking "Hey, can you set us up with a nice deal like your citizens and country have?". So they are not part of this.

Now - the Chinese deal is missing a few things....or, some may consider them features. They don't have a 1st Amendment....they believe the Internet is a tool for learning and communication and not a free for all for trolls to undermine governments and spread conspiracy theories.
2nd Amendment - The Chinese people themselves are generally not allowed to own firearms and these two amendments (lack of) actually create a less violent and more stable government and citizenry in the present world (looking at violence rates).

And so - what the diplomat is saying....and I tend to agree with...is that most sane countries will choose the China Package over the USA Clown Show.

He also mentioned how Trump is cutting science and R&D and AI, while China is doubling their investments...and is way ahead of us in AI.

And so, on a worldwide basis, it seems to me that the future consists of:

1. A warlike and dysfunctional and corrupt USA which still has it's good parts (will export software and ideals, etc.)....but that few or no countries will adopt the "way of life" because it's obvious a "free" internet didn't help our country become Great.

2. A Smart Russia which will often get its way with minimum violence and who can become - perhaps in partnership with Iran and Turkey, the "owners" of the entire middle east. Where that leaves Israel I don't know - my first thought it that is would be better for Israel because Putin does not put up with terrorist stuff. But Israel is largely disintegrating from inside - orthodox against secular, billionaires against regular people etc. - so who knows?

3. A China that ends up with resources and an economy never before seen in the history of the world. Although war will never cease, the Chinese are likely to be able to pull this off with relatively little violence.

So my take is that China already wins - short of us getting a new "Ted Roosevelt" AND a completely new way of doing business in politics. That means a country run by PEOPLE which contains industries rather than a country run by industries and corporations.....and let the people languish.

Keep in mind that 75-85% of countries like China, Russia and Taiwan basically support their leaders and government - double that of the USA. And they don't do this because they are brainwashed - they live it day and to day and have a keen sense of both history - and what is happening in American.

Agree? Disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
The proof of this thesis will be the long lines of immigrants awaiting naturalization to China and Russia, and the hundreds of thousands of pitiful, desperate American boat people casting off in rickety rafts, hoping and praying to reach Fujian and Vladivostok and a new life of happiness and prosperity.

Seriously, how likely is this?

Craigirl, you cray-cray. Or just in the middle stages of Trump derangement syndrome.

Fear not, though. You’ll get a crack at the big orange booby in two years and change. Maybe Liz Warren’s number will come up, and America Will Be Healed.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
It's hard to say. All empires rise and fall with time; the only constant is change.

That being said, Russia, China, and other places have a heap of problems of their own to work out. I wouldn't assume they are smarter or better than us, but it is true that America won't maintain a huge edge forever because that's just not how reality or history work - there's nothing preventing smart people in other nations from figuring things out for themselves, either. And that applies to technology, finance, politics, etc.

I think all we can do is try to build the best nation we can, and that takes us wherever it will. We can't simply assume "everyone else must suck because we're the US of A - 'mericuh!" Instead, we should just strive to make our nation the best, for we cannot assume we'll forever have some "magical edge" on everyone else. But even without some extreme "edge" on everyone else, we can still have a damn good nation, one in which the citizens are in good shape and proud to be Americans. And I'd rather have that than dozens of colonies all over the world while living in some nation that might win the edge on resource gathering, but in which life simply stinks because of a lack of freedom, too much poverty, etc.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:04 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,970 times
I don't think the choice is as definitive and black-and-white as you suggest in the OP. A lot of less-developed countries do indeed want to be democratic, and don't necessarily want to follow the Chinese style of authoritarian rule. However, that doesn't mean that they want to follow the 'American' way to a 'T' either. I think that this is especially true economically where a lot of countries want to develop but also avoid the levels of inequality that the U.S. has (among the worst in the developed world). Many countries look to the Nordic countries as models of economic development and long-term goals. I remember reading that most Israelis (obviously not a poor or undeveloped country but nonetheless...) prefer the Nordic model over the U.S. one by like 65 or 70 percent.

In terms of greater global geopolitical influence, there's no doubt that the U.S. is in relative decline and that a more multipolar world is emerging. The days of being the world's only superpower are numbered. The sooner this country learns that we live in an interconnected, rapidly changing and ever-evolving global landscape, the better.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The proof of this thesis will be the long lines of immigrants awaiting naturalization to China and Russia, and the hundreds of thousands of pitiful, desperate American boat people casting off in rickety rafts, hoping and praying to reach Fujian and Vladivostok and a new life of happiness and prosperity.
One thing has absolutely nothing to do with another. As I mentioned, vast numbers of Russians are having anchor babies in Miami (in Trump properties no less)......so as to hedge bets and buy up our country

Asians get an education and can speak better English at our finest universities.

There was NOTHING in my writing about poverty and violence stricken Mexicans and Central Americans trying to immigrate - but last time I looked I think more are headed back than coming.

The other immigrants who want to come are war-torn country refugees. I don't see the French of Germans or Italians lining up for citizenship.

I suspect you either didn't read my words...or don't understand them. Let me put it together.....

If Assad makes a deal with China - and also many of the surrounding countries (Jordan, Lebanon, etc.) , there will be jobs, a higher quality of life and the people will share in the resources of their own country. Then they won't be chased out by rebels (caused largely by the USA wars) and want to come to the USA.

You have to think a bit deeper to understand what I am saying. What good is the first amendment if all it is being used for is spreading 90% BS and Brainwashing people. What good is the 2nd to a "normal" people (this is not 1770).?

I'd rather have universal health care and same for eldercare.....than have 300 million guns. Which one really does us more good? I'd rather have an educated populace than a "free" media....(internet) where pizza conspiracies are spread and citizens go up to murder dough slingers. Once the people are more educated and the countries established, THEN they have the rights and abilities to modify these things.

It's the same old story. Should 7 year olds have unlimited access to the internet? Of course, not - they have not yet been educated about what it is.

This is true in the USA among many people 40-90 years old.

No doubt more Asians will come here anyway just do to overcrowding...and their enhanced common sense and intelligence will results in them running large parts of our major corporations and even the government.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I think all we can do is try to build the best nation we can, and that takes us wherever it will. We can't simply assume "everyone else must suck because we're the US of A - 'mericuh!" Instead, we should just strive to make our nation the best, for we cannot assume we'll forever have some "magical edge" on everyone else. But even without some extreme "edge" on everyone else, we can still have a damn good nation, one in which the citizens are in good shape and proud to be Americans. And I'd rather have that than dozens of colonies all over the world while living in some nation that might win the edge on resource gathering, but in which life simply stinks because of a lack of freedom, too much poverty, etc.
Nice speech and nice idea. I'd be with you.

But I'm in Florida and was listening today for hours about how ALL state business is done by the GOP Gov. (Scott) and the GOP legislation. There is absolutely NOT A SINGLE politician who is "for" any issue. Based on a situation or on who gives the largest checks, they then push for exactly what the business community wants. Not a single mention of the people - and this was a panel of people who KNOW....

So what are the odds of that changing? How can it change? Florida may be one of the worse, but this is the way politics is played in the USA. No pol gets in office and thinks "how an I make our nation the best?". It simply doesn't happen. They get there and do whatever the corporation and lobbyist paid for (or had sex with them for)....

I'm not kidding you at all with this. I was a insider in politics in NJ and have friends that are US Attorneys and also have been Solicitors for major cities. I know Superior Court Judges that have morals which are close to Charles Manson.

So how do you suggest we get from here to there?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I know Superior Court Judges that have morals which are close to Charles Manson.
And that is the nail in the coffin. People think Trump matters. Nope. People think China matters. Nope. What matters is Americans are no longer worthy of freedom and as such this 'democracy' is over.

The real question since you asked, is stay in America or leave. The rich are eyeing leaving, but no place looks better. Once that place emerges you'll see them leave by the planeload.

Trump is a symptom, and he's just the first of what is going to be a hard crash down.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Seriously, how likely is this?
Folks throwing away US passports is sky high. A small number, sure. But sky high and more to come. Meanwhile, US homelessness abounds. Increased mortality abounds. Watch an American movie from 1970's. See how much more civil and less doomed those people felt.

People think Trump is their problem. Get rid of him and all is well. He's down right washingtonian compared to what may be coming.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:15 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
I am not going to move to china. It is not a democracy, the CCP does not respect the free exchange of ideas, and they are less transparent than trump.

Rich mainland chinese still come here, they still buy american real estate, and send their children to ivy league universities. If china was so great, they would do everything there.

it was good trump got elected. It reinvigorated people whether they love him or hate him. You'd still be seeing impeachment proceedings even with clinton. The gop wanted clinton to win so they could blame instead of govern. There was also a lot resentment boiling with globalization passing over the rust belt. People in manufacturing were not able to successfully transition to the service sector. College was being pushed on everyone when trades such as plumbing and electricians would have better for some.

America might not be number 1 anymore because of trump but maybe we should rethink whether we want to be an empire or a republic. I do not want to give my life for other countries like korea and definitely not for middle eastern/theocratic countries.

I think we will be able to outlast china. They have demographic timebomb. Their people are getting old. The one child policy screwed them over. Educated women are not having babies. The ming started out big with their navy. Then, they spent too much and fell apart.

We should have concentrated on the space program, regenerative medicine, and passenger rail instead of going to war after 9/11

Old 01-06-2018, 01:17 AM

272 posts, read 134,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
One thing has absolutely nothing to do with another. As I mentioned, vast numbers of Russians are having anchor babies in Miami (in Trump properties no less)......so as to hedge bets and buy up our country

Asians get an education and can speak better English at our finest universities.

There was NOTHING in my writing about poverty and violence stricken Mexicans and Central Americans trying to immigrate - but last time I looked I think more are headed back than coming.

The other immigrants who want to come are war-torn country refugees. I don't see the French of Germans or Italians lining up for citizenship.

I suspect you either didn't read my words...or don't understand them. Let me put it together.....

If Assad makes a deal with China - and also many of the surrounding countries (Jordan, Lebanon, etc.) , there will be jobs, a higher quality of life and the people will share in the resources of their own country. Then they won't be chased out by rebels (caused largely by the USA wars) and want to come to the USA.

You have to think a bit deeper to understand what I am saying. What good is the first amendment if all it is being used for is spreading 90% BS and Brainwashing people. What good is the 2nd to a "normal" people (this is not 1770).?

I'd rather have universal health care and same for eldercare.....than have 300 million guns. Which one really does us more good? I'd rather have an educated populace than a "free" media....(internet) where pizza conspiracies are spread and citizens go up to murder dough slingers. Once the people are more educated and the countries established, THEN they have the rights and abilities to modify these things.

It's the same old story. Should 7 year olds have unlimited access to the internet? Of course, not - they have not yet been educated about what it is.

This is true in the USA among many people 40-90 years old.

No doubt more Asians will come here anyway just do to overcrowding...and their enhanced common sense and intelligence will results in them running large parts of our major corporations and even the government.
Where are you getting your information on that bolded statement? A media and liberal web sites that have absolutely failed to educate this country about immigration . During obamas last year in office we basically matched the largest amount of immigrants in our nations history , 1.8 million!

https://cis.org/Report/18-Million-Im...vel-US-History

We had very small numbers of immigration from before winning world war 2 and americas rise with the optimistic post war times even through the 1950s and early 1960s until 1965 and ted kennedy opened the floodgates.

My grandfather went to a "sputnik" school in texas and became an aerospace engineer and worked in Huntsville Alabama on our nations space program. Americans were deeply concerned about our science and math education in the 1950s and early 1960s because they were afraid of sputnik and Russian advances.

Now we just hear from the silicon valley frauds how we need HB1 visas because there are not enough trained engineers and talent, than improve our nations schools and make our nation have the best stem talent in the world!

This is far worse than some "pizzagate", the media is not reporting the damage to this country being done through immigration and open borders . There is no "china first" or "japan first" or "south korea first" movement . Its a given.

No other non western nations have the equivalent to our liberals with their love of immigration and demographic change and multiculturalism. None!

Liberalism is a western disease. Dont get me wrong, our conservatives arent worth a damn either in terms of open borders until the nationalist populist movement though most are still globalists .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies