Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support spending $18 billion for the first phase of the US/Mexico border wall?
Yes 40 32.26%
No 81 65.32%
Not sure 3 2.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 06:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree, and Trump should find a way to make Mexico pay for it via tariffs and the like. They need us much more than we need them, and they would capitulate whether they wanted to give Trump a win on the wall or not.
Trump said Mexico would pay for it. The American taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for it upfront and then hope to be reimbursed for it after the fact. That's not what Trump promised.

Check in hand from Mexico before any work commences so it doesn't fall on the American taxpayers.

Don't you trust Donald to do what he promises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 07:01 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
All your suggestions are fine with me (I cannot speak for the poster you addressed this to).
However it is not an either or proposition.
Some coming into this country never intend to work and can always find places to stay. Additionally drug runners and terrorists would not be effected. Thus we also need a barrier that is difficult if not impossible to overcome in certain areas along our border.

While I know you are a leftist, I cannot imagine you would oppose a wall/barriers in some of the worst areas for drugs, gang members, and potential terrorists crossing into our country.

`
I absolutely oppose it because I do not believe it will be cost effective. A wall in the worst areas, just means they go over in other areas. Thats not solving it. A wall across the border? Bwahahhaha. over, under, and around. Its not going to be effective at all.

Make it hard as heck to live here, and 95% of the problem goes away.

While you know I am a leftist, you are apparently unaware that I am against illegal immigration. Heck I am against some of the legal immigration as well, I think H1-B programs help CAUSE our lack of engineers.

And throwing the potential terrorist nonsense out? Please. All of the terrorists have came in by plane so far I believe. The wall is a idiotic idea that will cost a fortune, and be almost completely ineffective against the people you just mentioned.

There ARE good ideas for helping this issue, the wall is not one of them.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:04 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Trump Administration asks Congress for $18 billion to build first phase of border wall
Surely you mean he asked the Mexican Congress. Why would he ask the US Congress after swearing up and down Mexico was going to pay for it

Old 01-05-2018, 07:05 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Why am I paying for this again? Trump promised to have MEXICO pay for it right?

Phase I literally costs almost what we spend on the entire budget for curing diseases like cancer, diabetes, alzheimer's, parkinson - stuff that costs the country trillions of dollars in health care.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:22 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
For what has been estimated what the wall is going to cost 20 to 35 billion they could higher 350 more border agents which cost less and be more affective.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 PM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
All your suggestions are fine with me (I cannot speak for the poster you addressed this to).
However it is not an either or proposition.
Some coming into this country never intend to work and can always find places to stay. Additionally drug runners and terrorists would not be effected. Thus we also need a barrier that is difficult if not impossible to overcome in certain areas along our border.

While I know you are a leftist, I cannot imagine you would oppose a wall/barriers in some of the worst areas for drugs, gang members, and potential terrorists crossing into our country.

`

Don't hold your breath for a viable reply from these liberal lefties they usually have a vested interest in keeping the flow of illegals coming. I have posted numerous links proving how the good walls work and that a $25 billion wall is much cheaper than the $100 billion that illegals cost us every year and yet they say we still don't need a wall. As I said, I'm all for e-verify but without other incentives removed they will continue to come here and criminals, terrorists and drug runners aren't interested in a job, thus the wall.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Don't hold your breath for a viable reply from these liberal lefties they usually have a vested interest in keeping the flow of illegals coming. I have posted numerous links proving how the good walls work and that a $25 billion wall is much cheaper than the $100 billion that illegals cost us every year and yet they say we still don't need a wall. As I said, I'm all for e-verify but without other incentives removed they will continue to come here and criminals, terrorists and drug runners aren't interested in a job, thus the wall.
Get Mexico to pay for it, as we were promised, and I won't fight your silly wall. I'm only asking that Trump follow through on what he promised. Why is that wrong?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:41 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
For a billion and some laws you could make e-verify mandatory, and make it illegal to rent to people who were not here legally. BAM problem solved.

This idea is just idiocy. Do something effective.
I have been saying the same thing for years

Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
One assumes that by "Congress", he means Congreso de la Unión in Mexico City. Right?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
How about hold Mexico accountable for their citizens violating out border? Wars were started over much less
More non-Mexicans than Mexicans were apprehended at U.S. borders in fiscal year 2016

What we know about illegal immigration from Mexico | Pew Research Center

Good luck holding Mexico accountable for the actions of non-Mexicans.

And to forestall the inevitable, also good luck with telling Mexico to do a better job of securing its borders than the US has been able to do with their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies