Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 05:49 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There's that pesky freedom of speech thing that trump seems to hate. it's always popping up and biting him in the arse. Again.

Must be thinking about ANTIFA, the Commies that are praised and supported by the DNC and Liberal Democrats. Commies hate free speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 06:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yay, what a great idea - let's have the government start censoring and arresting people who criticize the King!

This guy knows and cares nothing of the principles that kept this a free and balanced society for the last 240 years. Given his extreme narcissism and unscrupulous behavior, there is no doubt in my mind that this ****head wants to govern like a dictator, if only he could defeat the checks and balances codified into our way of government. And thing is, if people don't keep a sharp eye and care enough, he will try to do it...and might succeed.

And the thing is, his supporters will go along and happily criminalize free speech - anything to keep Dear Leader pampered and happy.

Trump is an enemy of America who has learned how to peddle populist snake oil to disgruntled simpletons.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-tr...172200667.html

I agree with Trump
You slander or libel anyone, you should pay the price for defamation of character.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Wouldn't that mean the statements must be proven false? How would Trump prove the statements are false? Interview each person in the book and review their statements, ask them to explain the conclusions of their statements and why they felt that way? This would require exhaustive reviews of Trump's behavior and whether it was childish, egotistical, lacked intelligence, demonstrated a lack of mental stability, etc. It would likely be televised. Is that what Trump really wants? Because I'm guessing the whole country would like to see that.
No, if you're sued for libel, you have to prove that what you said is true...the plaintiff doesn't have to prove you lied. Part of the issue is that the views expressed are really opinions and not false statements. As an example, if it was said that the administration was in chaos...how can that be a lie or the truth. What one considers chaos another might consider paradise. With our country so divided, having heard that before his supporters would most likely ignore it but, his critics would take that to the bank seeing it as just more proof that it must have been total chaos, even worse than previously reported.

I don't trust any media any more, they seem to be willing to report anything if it will increase readers/viewers or at least maintaining them. If this book was pro Trump or even just neutral, no one would even know he wrote it.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:38 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
No, if you're sued for libel, you have to prove that what you said is true...the plaintiff doesn't have to prove you lied. Part of the issue is that the views expressed are really opinions and not false statements. As an example, if it was said that the administration was in chaos...how can that be a lie or the truth. What one considers chaos another might consider paradise. With our country so divided, having heard that before his supporters would most likely ignore it but, his critics would take that to the bank seeing it as just more proof that it must have been total chaos, even worse than previously reported.

I don't trust any media any more, they seem to be willing to report anything if it will increase readers/viewers or at least maintaining them. If this book was pro Trump or even just neutral, no one would even know he wrote it.
Yeah....no.

In any civil case the burden of proof is on the plaintiff. You may be thinking of the fact that in a libel suit, the truth is an absolute defense, so being able to prove what you said was true would be a sure fire win.

But it would still be up to Trump to prove anything said about him wasn’t true and also isn’t just an opinion. He’d be an idiot (in my opinion) to sue.

See what I did there ?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:44 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Lordy, I hope there are tapes.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Trump Haters always come up with some dumb crap to suit their agenda. There are Laws in this Nation that say you can't bash people without proof or if its not true and damages the people being abused. Guess you don't understand that, and only think it applies to what you believe. Here we are, where Democrats and Liberal Snowflakes, are doing everything in their power to do away with free speech, and you have the nerve to post about Republicans trying to stop free speech? Whats wrong with you? Do you hate Trump so much that its made you irrational?
We eagerly await the lawsuit. Especially the part where Trump will have to submit himself to the deposition process. Bring it on.

Trump can't file his lawsuit against Wolffe too soon for me. I hope he'll file it tomorrow.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-07-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I agree with Trump
You slander or libel anyone, you should pay the price for defamation of character.
Of course you would, because you're anti-American.

Those of us with foresight understand that once you loosen restrictions on what constitutes "slander and libel," you will quickly enter the slippery slope where the government uses that excuse anytime it wants to shut up a critic.

And at that point, you may as well call the President a King instead.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Do we really want more of this?

Trump v. Maher
A tremendously humorous read of the actual court papers.

OTOH, chasing lawsuits like this might keep our elfin Attorney General preoccupied and out of mischief.

BTW - Trump dropped the lawsuit, as he so often does.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yay, what a great idea - let's have the government start censoring and arresting people who criticize the King!

This guy knows and cares nothing of the principles that kept this a free and balanced society for the last 240 years. Given his extreme narcissism and unscrupulous behavior, there is no doubt in my mind that this ****head wants to govern like a dictator, if only he could defeat the checks and balances codified into our way of government. And thing is, if people don't keep a sharp eye and care enough, he will try to do it...and might succeed.

And the thing is, his supporters will go along and happily criminalize free speech - anything to keep Dear Leader pampered and happy.

Trump is an enemy of America who has learned how to peddle populist snake oil to disgruntled simpletons.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-tr...172200667.html

What do you expect from a FASCIST DESPOT!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lordy, I hope there are tapes.

Lordy, there are. But when pressed to release them (on MSNBC, no less), he replied, I'm not one of you, I don't have to do that. If it rings true, it is true.

If it rings true? IOW, if it panders to biases? Wow. In addition, Wolff, himself, is walking back some things, especially on the heels of "quoted" people saying they never spoke with him.

Looks like Trump was right again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies