Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:09 AM

693 posts, read 357,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope, I posted two links quoting the percentage of effectiveness of the good walls already erected. Did you miss them?
You posted links to walls that were affected in deterring border crossers from that particular section. That's it. They just find other ways in.

But hey, like I said....let's build that wall. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with building a wall...I just don't believe that it would be as effective as a small minority claim. Even homeland security doesn't believe it'll be as effective as Trump claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:42 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Only a real President says "You're so lucky you voted for me!"

Right, Oldglory?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:06 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
That was an error in my part. I meant massive amounts of immigrants (as in, before they were considered "illegal").

As for saying illegal aliens aren't "immigrants", you couldn't be more wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illega..._United_States

I know the difference between illegal and legal...but that doesn't change the fact that they are immigrants to this country. My point still remains true....this country has always had massive amounts of immigrants. This isn't "new".

"Alien" is term used to denote immigrants that are not here legally, but it doesn't change the fact, that by EVERY definition of the word, they are immigrants.

Those in our country illegally are not true immigrants. They are those who come here legally. Even our immigration law lingo doesn't refer to them as plain ole immigrants. They are referred to as illegal aliens and it's important to distinguish between those two very different groups. If one is going to call them immigrants then it's important to add the adjective "illegal" in front of that word so as not to confuse them with legal immigrants.

Yes, we have always had a lot of immigrants to this country. They came legally, not illegally except for the past couple of decades we have had massive numbers of illegal aliens not plain ole "immigrants". Alien simply means foreigner. They can either be legal or illegal but it's important to decipher whether we are talking about a legal alien or an illegal one. Why can't you grasp that?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
You posted links to walls that were affected in deterring border crossers from that particular section. That's it. They just find other ways in.

But hey, like I said....let's build that wall. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with building a wall...I just don't believe that it would be as effective as a small minority claim. Even homeland security doesn't believe it'll be as effective as Trump claims.

The point is that those walls were the good double ones on some of the porous areas of our border which forced illegals to try and enter thru more difficult and dangerous areas so fewer will try. That's the idea behind finishing those types of wall on the rest of the 700 miles of our porous border. Please provide a link that Homeland Security doesn't believe that type of wall isn't an effective deterrant.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Those in our country illegally are not true immigrants. They are those who come here legally. Even our immigration law lingo doesn't refer to them as plain ole immigrants. They are referred to as illegal aliens and it's important to distinguish between those two very different groups. If one is going to call them immigrants then it's important to add the adjective "illegal" in front of that word so as not to confuse them with legal immigrants.
Doesn't matter. You're altering the definition. Yes, we call them illegal aliens....but they are still immigrants. Calling them aliens doesn't change what they are.

Quote:
Yes, we have always had a lot of immigrants to this country. They came legally, not illegally except for the past couple of decades we have had massive numbers of illegal aliens not plain ole "immigrants". Alien simply means foreigner. They can either be legal or illegal but it's important to decipher whether we are talking about a legal alien or an illegal one. Why can't you grasp that?
They only came here "legally" because we didn't have laws set in place that barred "illegals" initially. America is a young country, and for most of it's history, the nation was founded AND grown by immigrants.

As for denoting whether or not they're legal or illegal, I never said otherwise, not sure why you seem to think that's not something I don't grasp.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If am for DACA being extended, but I hope the Democrats do not trade approval for $18B and wall approval. The wall is a stupid idea that needs to die.

Why would you want DACA extended? They number 1.9 million (800,000 were approved) last I heard and they would be in direct competition for jobs and resources against Americans. That's ok with you? Doesn't it set a presidence that all a parent has to do is sneak their kids over our border illegally and they will be home free? Doesn't it make a mockery out of our immigration laws by rewarding those in our country illegally no matter how they got here?

I have already debunked you anti-wall people over and over (with links provided) your claim that the wall is a stupid idea and yet you guys keep repeating the same old nonsense over and over.

Here's some tidbits about your DACAs.

https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/...-daca-program/

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-09-2018 at 04:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. You're altering the definition. Yes, we call them illegal aliens....but they are still immigrants. Calling them aliens doesn't change what they are.

They only came here "legally" because we didn't have laws set in place that barred "illegals" initially. America is a young country, and for most of it's history, the nation was founded AND grown by immigrants.

As for denoting whether or not they're legal or illegal, I never said otherwise, not sure why you seem to think that's not something I don't grasp.

No, illegal aliens aren't plain ole "immigrants". You need to use the adjective "illegal" in front of it otherwise no one knows what type of immigrant you are speaking of. What they are is illegal aliens according to our immigration laws not plain ole immigrants. So no, you're not grasping that.

What? We have had immigration laws for a very long time now. How far back are you going? Yes, it was founded and grown by both "legal" immigrants and those born here, not illegal aliens.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
No, illegal aliens aren't plain ole "immigrants". You need to use the adjective "illegal" in front of it otherwise no one knows what type of immigrant you are speaking of. What they are is illegal aliens according to our immigration laws not plain ole immigrants. So no, you're not grasping that.

What? We have had immigration laws for a very long time now. How far back are you going? Yes, it was founded and grown by both "legal" immigrants and those born here, not illegal aliens.
How dense are you? I already said:
Quote:
That was an error in my part.
I KNOW what makes an immigrant legal versus illegal. However, and here's the kicker.....they are both still IMMIGRANTS using every definition of the word.
YOU said they weren't immigrants, YOU told me not to call them immigrants. YOU said they were aliens and not immigrants. YOU are the wrong one. YES, they are aliens, but they're still immigrants. Illegal immigrants, yes, but immigrants nevertheless.

This nation was built by both immigrants and natural born citizens. When I made the comment about immigrants growing this country, I didn't make the distinction between legal vs illegal.

The point you're missing, is that a comment was made regarding a massive amount of immigrants coming into our country, and I pointed out that we've ALWAYS had massive amounts coming in. YES, there's a distinction to be made regarding legal vs illegal, but it doesn't change the fact that outsiders coming in to the US in mass is nothing new. The only difference now, is that we've made it harder for them to become citizens compared to many decades ago.

Example. For decades, Cubans coming in were made citizens once they set foot on our soils. What makes them different from illegal aliens other than them being legal? They're still a drain.

Last edited by fbernard; 01-10-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
How dense are you? I already said:

I KNOW what makes an immigrant legal versus illegal. However, and here's the kicker.....they are both still IMMIGRANTS using every definition of the word.
YOU said they weren't immigrants, YOU told me not to call them immigrants. YOU said they were aliens and not immigrants. YOU are the wrong one. YES, they are aliens, but they're still immigrants. Illegal immigrants, yes, but immigrants nevertheless.

This nation was built by both immigrants and natural born citizens. When I made the comment about immigrants growing this country, I didn't make the distinction between legal vs illegal.

The point you're missing, is that a comment was made regarding a massive amount of immigrants coming into our country, and I pointed out that we've ALWAYS had massive amounts coming in. YES, there's a distinction to be made regarding legal vs illegal, but it doesn't change the fact that outsiders coming in to the US in mass is nothing new. The only difference now, is that we've made it harder for them to become citizens compared to many decades ago.

Example. For decades, Cubans coming in were made citizens once they set foot on our soils. What makes them different from illegal aliens other than them being legal? They're still a drain.
And just how dense are you? Our immigration laws refer to them as illegal aliens, not immigrants of any sort. But if one wants to refer to them as immigrants rather than aliens they should at least use the proper adjective in front of the word "immigrant" to decipher what kind of so-called immigrant they are speaking of....legal or illegal. I can't make it any plainer for you.

I have always disagreed the way the Cubans were made citizens simply by landing on our soil so your point is mute to me.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Trump also believes that exercise is bad for the body. Trump's beliefs have no basis in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies