Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times

Advertisements

OK, I have a white female friend who has been drafting a graphic novel where the main character is a black woman. She took the main outline and drawings to her publisher, but he says it's too risky, and that she is better off to turn the main character into a white woman or man. Either that, or find a black writer that won't mind being the front of the series and my friend can be just a ghost writer. She tried to fight him on the issue, but said it's just too risky with the way the cultural appropriation has been going, and they simply don't have the funds to deal with possible lawsuits or negative press.

So she plans on publishing the book herself, but is now second guessing it because she too is afraid there will be backlash and lawsuits. Can a writer these days really be sued for writing a character that is not like them personally?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:02 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
No. Where do some of you get these ideas?!?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Sounds legit

Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
OK, I have a white female friend who has been drafting a graphic novel where the main character is a black woman. She took the main outline and drawings to her publisher, but he says it's too risky, and that she is better off to turn the main character into a white woman or man. Either that, or find a black writer that won't mind being the front of the series and my friend can be just a ghost writer. She tried to fight him on the issue, but said it's just too risky with the way the cultural appropriation has been going, and they simply don't have the funds to deal with possible lawsuits or negative press.

So she plans on publishing the book herself, but is now second guessing it because she too is afraid there will be backlash and lawsuits. Can a writer these days really be sued for writing a character that is not like them personally?
Be sued on what legal basis?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
What would be the basis of a lawsuit. This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard and your friend needs a new publisher.

Now, statistically, the only thing the publisher *might* be correct on is:

1. Some white people may be less likely to buy a graphic novel with a black main character. I don't know the demographic of graphic novel readers so the publisher may have data on that.

2. Black consumers of graphic novels may not want to buy a story written by a white person because they may feel that the writer does not speak from their perspective. Not sure what you can do about that.

But lawsuits? Whatever for?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:12 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No. Where do some of you get these ideas?!?

Outer space.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:

You need to distinguish between backlash and lawsuits.

I don't know the details of the story, but sure, backlash is a possible issue that any business needs to worry about. And the publisher is a business.

But lawsuits? Technically anyone can file a lawsuit for any reason, but the idea of getting into a legal battle seems outlandish, unless by chance she is using real-life names and real-life companies and real-life intellectual property.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:

What kind of character/book is it? Would it be considered to be derogatory in some way?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:18 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:

So you honestly don't know the difference between what is marketable and what constitutes a litigious action? Most people wouldn't put such ignorance on display like that.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:20 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So you honestly don't know the difference between what is marketable and what constitutes a litigious action? Most people wouldn't put such ignorance on display like that.
Members of the cult do every day all over this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies