Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I posted about how I was a lifelong Republican who will never vote Republican again because they doubled the child tax credit from $1000 to $2000. They couldn't have done anything worse. I know I'm the only one who cares about this issue. I'm fine with that..I could write 10 paragraphs on why I am against it instead I would like some advice on who to vote for next because it sure as hell won't be Republican!

I know voting third party is throwing away your vote. I don't care...the two major parties disgust me. The only two 3rd parties I know of are the Libertarian and Green parties. Being that I'm a right winger the Green party is out of the question. Libertarians appeal to me on economics and some social issues. Ths problem is Libertarians are pro-drug and that is not OK with me. Are there any other right leaning third parties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
A few weeks ago I posted about how I was a lifelong Republican who will never vote Republican again because they doubled the child tax credit from $1000 to $2000. They couldn't have done anything worse. I know I'm the only one who cares about this issue. I'm fine with that..I could write 10 paragraphs on why I am against it instead I would like some advice on who to vote for next because it sure as hell won't be Republican!

I know voting third party is throwing away your vote. I don't care...the two major parties disgust me. The only two 3rd parties I know of are the Libertarian and Green parties. Being that I'm a right winger the Green party is out of the question. Libertarians appeal to me on economics and some social issues. Ths problem is Libertarians are pro-drug and that is not OK with me. Are there any other right leaning third parties?
Why does doubling the child tax credit bother you?

They couldn't have done anything Worse?

You should be more disgusted with the GOP giving billionaires and companies a $1.5 TRILLION tax cut instead that you will have to pay for!

At least Democrats tell you that they are going to "TAX" you !

Old 01-08-2018, 04:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Stay unaffiliated and write in who you would like to see. Swearing affiliation to a third party will only lead you down the same path.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Stay unaffiliated and write in who you would like to see. Swearing affiliation to a third party will only lead you down the same path.
Yes, keep an open mind. I will never again vote for the lesser of two evils, as I did in 2016, and I will never vote for an 3rd. party candidate from a party that can never win.

Hopefully, this Presidency will lead to the eventual downfall of one, or both, major parties and open the way for a new major party, as happened with the transformation of the Free Soil Party in the election of 1856 to the Republican Party in the election of 1860. The new Republican Party that won in 1856 was mainly composed of old Whigs (like Abraham Lincoln) and those who strenuously opposed Slavery (Abolitionists), while the Democratic Party was dominated by large pro-slavery elements in the Slaveholding States and Northern Democrats who were either soft on Slavery or opposed to an armed conflict over Slavery.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:29 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

"Which third party should I join?"

NONE.

It is a wasted vote.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:

Have a feeling the Constitution Party would appeal to you. It's one the three largest third parties, the Green and Libertarian parties being the other two.

I'm an independent and 2016 was the last time voting Republican for me. I swore off the Democrat Party a couple decades ago. Unfortunately, there isn't a viable third party in my view.

Here's a list of political parties: Politics1 - Director of U.S. Political Parties

Old 01-08-2018, 06:08 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
I left the Republican party last year after the Trump wildlings who have never been too involved in politics before suddenly swooped in and took over the party -- after the current POTUS ran on a campaign full of hatred and vitriol.

I am now no longer affiliated with a party, I am a "conservative independent." There are a lot of political views tests that you can take which might help you find out which third party group you would most fit into, and decide from there if you'd like to become one of them or not.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:15 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Which third party should I join?"

NONE.

It is a wasted vote.
No it isn't. Voting for Democrats and Republicans is a wasted vote. They say what they have to to get elected, then legislate on behalf of their big money donors.

If a person truly believes in a third party's platform, and in those running for office it isn't a wasted vote voting for them. The more votes a party gets the more eye-opening it is for others who may believe it has a chance in the future, and they just might join it themselves.

Our two party system is failing us. They are corrupt.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:15 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Why do you feel the need to join any party? I've been IND all my life and happy being unaffiliated with any political party. My positions run the gamut and cross over from conservative to liberal. The only downside, if any, is that my state is not particularly good in giving a voice to INDs in primaries; but some are.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:

You don't know whats important. You're against government getting parents with kids more money back. You're against the Liberatarians because they are pro-freedom not pro-drug.
Nothing about never ending wars in the Middle East which are costly and make us less safe. That's not important? You don't think the economy matters nearly as much as weed prohibition?????

lol Form a party and call it the ignoring what's important party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies