Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:22 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Indeed, however, the law of the land says it is the DEA's job to schedule individual drugs. The head of the DEA reports to Sessions.

I think that Congress should proactively address the issue. However I also think that the executive branch (past and present) has already been given clear legal authority by congress to legalize cannabis, and has chosen not to.
I do not like the idea of the Executive Branch having that kind of power and I doubt you do either.

Congress can legalize it, but it is easier said than done. On the bright side, we are already in the process of doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I do not like the idea of the Executive Branch having that kind of power and I doubt you do either.

it doesn't require congressional action to prohibit some new designer drug on the street.

It doesn't require congressional action to say that some new erectile dysfunction pill is safe/unsafe or legal/illegal. Both of these are examples of the executive branch having "that kind of power."

cannabis is not inherently different than these in the way it is regulated under the Controlled Substances Act. The executive branch is expected to classify it, using the same rules it would use to classify Tylenol.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:

Congress can legalize it, but it is easier said than done. On the bright side, we are already in the process of doing so.
Whether you like it or not the Executive Branch has the power to schedule drugs.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Whether you like it or not the Executive Branch has the power to schedule drugs.
Schedule?

What does that mean?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:59 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
His sources also said that alcohol is not addictive. Guess AA and many alcoholics will be happy to hear that.
Real alcoholics are not addicted to alcohol. They didn't drink addictively to become alcoholics. They just became alcoholic.

Now, some hard drinkers probably can become addicted to alcohol. That's why, when given a sufficient reason to stop or moderate, they do.

But to get beyond semantics, I'll give my opinion.

As a recovered alcoholic myself, I think marijuana should be as legal as drinking a beer, federally, state by state, and across the world.

I think children should be discouraged to use it, but the minute you tell them no, we know what they do.

I'm a recovered alcoholic because I somehow got my life to a place where it's worth living and I'm free of alcohol and drugs because I don't want them.

I found a sufficient substitute.

I fixed my condition internally. I fixed my condition internally. Does that make any sense to anybody?

Jeff Sessions is a redneck backwards idiot. He should shut his mouth... Some more.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:08 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
The OP is correct.

Hey I have smoked my share of pot in life and still like to burn one every now and then. It's no damn good for me but the risk is mine.

I think it should be legal. However, like Immigration, states cannot simply decide they no longer respect the law of the land.

Congress- Make it legal. Let's have the national debate.
I'd like to see that debate too. I'd like to see pot legalized with no tax for medicinal pot and a big fat tax for recreational. The states need to put money aside to fund programs for the inevitable health issues that will occur and protocols put in place to keep out of the hands of kids. Congress should consider putting an expiration date on legalization so studies can be done to see if legalization was a mistake or not.

What's amazing is how public perception on legalization has changed. You'll find charts online that show just 10 years ago this country still opposed legalization. I suspect the aging boomers are one factor. We have more aches and pains than ever but don't want the kind of life where we have to depend on opioids. Medicinal pot isn't perfect but it's another tool for the medical community.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Republican Senator Cory Gardner has put an end to any change Sessions may have wanted to do. One federal raid on marijuana shops and he'll put a hold on all Justice Department hires ...that includes all federal judges. He warned them. He's pissed and he was against legalization.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I'd like to see that debate too. I'd like to see pot legalized with no tax for medicinal pot and a big fat tax for recreational. The states need to put money aside to fund programs for the inevitable health issues that will occur and protocols put in place to keep out of the hands of kids. Congress should consider putting an expiration date on legalization so studies can be done to see if legalization was a mistake or not.

What's amazing is how public perception on legalization has changed. You'll find charts online that show just 10 years ago this country still opposed legalization. I suspect the aging boomers are one factor. We have more aches and pains than ever but don't want the kind of life where we have to depend on opioids. Medicinal pot isn't perfect but it's another tool for the medical community.
Agreed.

However, I find it unsettling that we just completed a 2 decade (more or less) scourge of Tobacco and Smokers, but now many of those same people are incredulous that Marijuana is still illegal.

As state, I enjoy a toke now and then. But it's no damn good for me. I accept the risk, but is everyone else willing to do so?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Agreed.

However, I find it unsettling that we just completed a 2 decade (more or less) scourge of Tobacco and Smokers, but now many of those same people are incredulous that Marijuana is still illegal.

As state, I enjoy a toke now and then. But it's no damn good for me. I accept the risk, but is everyone else willing to do so?
One big difference between marijuana and tobacco is marijuana is typically used in much lower quantities. Heavy smokers have to have a cigarette every hour or so. While you do have your hardcore stoners, marijuana is a much more recreational activity, more like smoking a pipe or a fine cigar than smoking cigarettes.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:21 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The law says it is the DEA's job to schedule individual drugs. The DEA works under the DOJ.

This is definitely within Jeff Sessions's territory -- just as it was under Eric Holder's and Loretta Lynch's. The issue is that neither Obama nor Trump have appointed people within the DOJ who want to *use* the authority that has been given to them *by law* to reduce the scheduling of cannabis.

If there's anyone who is "ignoring the law" it is the executive branch -- specifically the DEA.
In that case, wasn't it also "the territory" of the Clinton, Bush and Obama administration, to change the classification of marijuana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies