Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:11 PM

1,400 posts, read 858,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Incorrect.

It's an extra $1000/year on a 100k salary. They already give 50% match and they now allow people to contribute 5% instead of 3% that is matchable. That's a 2% increase in allowed contribution which are matched but they only match half of it - which is 1% increase to annual pay that is paid via company match.

The max company match available is now 2.5% of salary (5% employee contribution, half which is matched by the employer). Before the max company match was 1.5% of salary on the prior 3% contribution.
I'll give you a hint because I'm nice. Visa contributes $2 for every $1 the employee puts in, that's a 200% match. I'll let you figure out the rest on your own. But when you finally do get it right, please come back and admit you were wrong.

Last edited by 1grin_g0; 01-08-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 05:13 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,407,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I'll give you a hint because I'm nice. Visa contributes $2 for every $1 the employer puts in, that's a 200% match. I'll let you figure out the rest on your own. But when you finally do get it right, please come back and admit you were wrong.
See post below which was 2 minutes before you posted another snarky comment. Geeze, you call that nice?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
See post below which was 2 minutes before you posted another snarky comment. Geeze, you call that nice?
It's a very generous retirement plan isn't it?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,407,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
It's a very generous retirement plan isn't it?
Yes it is. Very impressive.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:26 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,091,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
More good news for Americans, as a direct result of the signing by President Donald J Trump of the 2017 TAX CUTS AND JOBS ACT. I know everyone is overwhelmed with all of the winning, so this thread becomes a twofer.

Not only do seniors get the greatly enhanced personal deduction, they kept their alreadygenerous additional $1,600 personal exemption kicker. A couple filing a married filing jointly a standard deduction of $26,600.

Now, on to the VISA news. Happy days for those employees.

http://https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/...employees.html
Again... If these companies are trying to show how beneficial trickle down economics are, WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST GIVE THEIR EMPLOYEES A RAISE?

Increasing 401k match, something the majority of workers don't use, but the overwhelming majority of executives do, has practically zero impact on the economy or wages.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Again... If these companies are trying to show how beneficial trickle down economics are, WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST GIVE THEIR EMPLOYEES A RAISE?

Increasing 401k match, something the majority of workers don't use, but the overwhelming majority of executives do, has practically zero impact on the economy or wages.
If you're not capitalizing on $2 for $1 match then God help you. Is it trickle down when you're employer offers you a stake in the company?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,429,435 times
Quote:

I think that's a good argument when it comes to bonus's.

My company also increased a 1% increase in the match - just after we laid off 400 people.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:53 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,038,409 times
Depressed people here. This is great news for the some 11,000 employees at Visa.
Quote:

Old 01-08-2018, 05:56 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,038,409 times
You are correct. Visa has something like 11,000 employees. So what if not all participate, for whatever reason? That is still a large number of people eligible for a generous benefit.

Quote:
I don't need a math class. I quickly read visa's matching policy. I thought it said that they match $1 for every $2 contribution, which means 50% match.

But after your snarky comment, I re-read the cnbc article and now I see that visa matches $2 for every $1 contribution. I read it too fast last time.

Here's the quote:

"Visa's longstanding policy has been to contribute $2 for every $1 an employee contributes. Employees can now contribute up to 5 percent of base pay, up from 3 percent."

So yep, they get 4% more in their pocket now due to increased company match. That's nice. That's a very generous 401k match at $2 for every $1 contributed.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 PM

8,032 posts, read 3,606,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Used wrong wrong wording. Should have said standard deduction, not personal exemption. Had the $1600 per senior been eliminated when the standard deduction was doubled, it would have been, *****, *****, *****. Some folks cannot be pleased, no matter. Glass half full crowd.
I know what you meant. But again, the additional senior deduction stays in its current form, so does not change math. What I said is that the "doubling" (since 2x13=26, not 24) of the standard deduction does not do much since the personal exemptions are eliminated. Slight benefit for a couple with no dependents, and disadvantage for any couple with kids. It only gets worse when you consider the fact that personal exemptions could still be used if itemizing under the previous law.

And I'm not really defending any "tax breaks" or previous rules. I see 1.5 trillion added in deficit, and I don't really see any significant portion of it going to the middle class. It is just crumbs, and actually tax increases for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies