Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Uh, Trump was a celebrity.
True, except President Trump employs thousands of people and builds skyscrapers. Oprah's accomplishments can be viewed only on media. Nothing of substance there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:57 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
True, except President Trump employs thousands of people and builds skyscrapers. Oprah's accomplishments can be viewed only on media. Nothing of substance there.
Oprah never declared bankruptcy multiple times as Trump has either.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:58 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think Oprah Winfrey is a fabulous person, but I would not want to see her run for president in 2020. If she wants to enter public service, she needs to start with running for lower office first.

Why would you consider a black racist as a fabulous person? Take a look at the photos of her school for girls and see how many girls are of another race.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why would you consider a black racist as a fabulous person? Take a look at the photos of her school for girls and see how many girls are of another race.
Think about what you've written here for a moment and see if you can figure out what might be behind the demographics of the school.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:10 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
I agree that celebrities should not be president unless they follow the Reagan model.

Trump should forever dispel the notion that a celebrity with no experience can be president. Trump's whole presidency has been a cluster..you know what.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:15 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Really, Trump is a celebrity. Are you for getting rid of him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
No. I'm not part of the not my president crowd desperate to remove Trump from the presidency.

So, you acknowledge that Donald Trump is a celebrity, in your own thread titled "celebrities should not be president."

What?

Old 01-09-2018, 06:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
No. I'm not part of the not my president crowd desperate to remove Trump from the presidency.
I prefer the label "not my choice" crowd.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
The celebrity for POTUS shows the American public needs a class in civics.

A segment of our population has spent years raising money and winning elections by using the government is the problem mantra.

Had those politicians and their funders spent as much time improving the government, maybe we would not be in as bad a shape.

Rather than draining the swamp we should find the best swamp creature there is to fix the problems.

I would start with limited fund raising and the use of public forums and PBS to get their message out. Consider the time wasted raising money is time taken away from monitoring the government the politicians are supposed to be running.

Appears to me that the people running for office seldom understand what the job entails.

No novices are needed. And no business men whose conflicts of interest cannot be monitored.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I think it fine if they start modestly and move up like most politicians. Reagan is a fine example of this. He did not just jump into the White House.

Steve Largent, Heath Schuler, Jack Kemp, and Tom McMillian were athletes who made good Congressmen. Bill Bradley was an outstanding Senator.

Sonny Bono was a well respected Mayor and then Congressman.

Until he was revealed to be horned dog, Al Franken was a well-respected Senator.

Oprah would probably resemble Arnold as Governor. Not a good idea.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Having celebrities run for President is not good, turns the whole thing into a popularity contest (well more so than it is already) when what is needed is a President that is experienced politically, intelligent, sensible, and knows what they are doing.
You say experienced... how about successful at something?

You can have experience running entities into the ground. Hilary Clinton wasn't successful with much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies