Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Yeah, well Obama isn't exactly the brightest bulb. Thought we have 57 states, can't pronounce the word, "corps" and said our Constitution is a "flawed document," and "a document of negative liberties" (from one who supposedly went to law school and falsely claimed to be a "Constitutional Law Professor").

Besides, you have certainly started your share of negative threads about President Trump. How many do you suppose you've started? Shall we take a count?
Funny to say someone who graduated from Columbia and Harvard Law is not the brightest bulb. First off, he was absolutely correct that the Constitution is a flawed document. It is a very good document, but no one with a brain would claim the Constitution is perfect.

Second, he is right in a sense about "negative liberties", although I do not consider that a flaw. The Constitution does not define what rights the people have, rather it tells us what powers the government does or does not have to restrict those rights. This is a common misunderstanding regarding the Constitution.

Third, why do you say he "supposedly" went to Law School? Are you claiming that Obama did not attend Harvard Law School, which is a matter of public record?

Finally, it depends on whether you are considering Professor in the sense of capital "P", which is a specific job title, or lower case "p" which is a more generic job description. That Obama taught courses in Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago is not in dispute. His title there was Senior Lecturer, not Professor. However, according to UC itself:

"From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 AM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
His entire demeanor screams "dementia". There have been a lot of clips on the news of him being interviewed by Oprah Winfrey back in the 80s. It is shocking how different his speech, diction, and overall bearing is then from now. As Bannon put it, he has "lost it".
And compare Oprah’s non telepromptered speech from the Golden Globes with anything that Trump utters in public. He can’t even be bothered to rehearse the words to our anthem.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
And compare Oprah’s non telepromptered speech from the Golden Globes with anything that Trump utters in public. He can’t even be bothered to rehearse the words to our anthem.
That was some speech! Whatever one thinks of Winfrey's politics, one thing is for certain, she is an extraordinarily-talented public speaker.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:22 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It just never ends with this media and its incessant nitpicking of every single thing Trump does.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/donald-...014840148.html
I'm still waiting for a president that knows the meaning and who supports the Constitution. Rights matter.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
The Constitution is a contract between the States, which formed the Federal Government, the product of the Contract. The States are the Parties to the Contract. It defines the powers delegated to each branch. What powers are not specifically delegated to the Federal Government are reserved to the States.

My comments re. Obama and law school were sarcasm, which is why I said, "supposedly," as his Constitutional knowledge is shaky at best. He doesn't seem to understand it, much less respect it.

The Constitution, in the First Amendment, does define our rights, though it does not grant those rights. It affirms them, and says the Government shall not infringe upon or abridge those rights. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion (and free exercise thereof), freedom of the press, and the right to keep and bear arms.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
He's not used to standing for that long. Took the wind out of him.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:51 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It just never ends with this media and its incessant nitpicking of every single thing Trump does.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/donald-...014840148.html

While I don't like Trump, does it matter? I'm 50 and I haven't sung it in many, many years myself not sure I would remember ALL the words to it. Now does Trump understand the meaning behind the words?

I'm doubtful.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:17 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
His entire demeanor screams "dementia". There have been a lot of clips on the news of him being interviewed by Oprah Winfrey back in the 80s. It is shocking how different his speech, diction, and overall bearing is then from now. As Bannon put it, he has "lost it".
Funny, Trump gave a speech yesterday in TN and was perfectly lucid and clear and the remarks went perfectly well. I've watched dozens of his rallies and prepared speeches and press
conferences, and he has been fine.

Meanwhile, let's see your qualifications that make you able to diagnose him. Or are you just conveniently echoing the latest talking points?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
While I don't like Trump, does it matter? I'm 50 and I haven't sung it in many, many years myself not sure I would remember ALL the words to it. Now does Trump understand the meaning behind the words?

I'm doubtful.
So if you heard it over and over every day, as Trump has during his year-long presidency, you wouldn't remember the words and be able to sing along. It's weird.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So if you heard it over and over every day, as Trump has during his year-long presidency, you wouldn't remember the words and be able to sing along. It's weird.

I see your point but I would worry more about him understanding the meaning behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies