Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times

Advertisements

If you white folks wanna attack each other over this bull, fine with me. Not my fight.

But really OP, you sound ridiculous. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
Why can’t people simply ACCEPT those whose beliefs, interests and lifestyles differ from there own? I have zero interest in guns, hunting, NASCAR, church, big ass pick up trucks or rap music. Does not mean I can’t have friends who live for those things. Live and let live. Why is that so hard?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:47 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
White liberal elitists are usually highly verbal people who went to college, and often some form of graduate schooling. They think their verbal skills and credentials make them better than others.

The problem is that the value of verbal skills is declining as the number of people who possess them increases. Along with this commodification, technology is beginning to catch up with verbal skills in such areas as the automation of legal work and management.

Verbal people, who lack quantitative and spatial skills, have a big chip on their shoulder when they encounter someone with those latter skills such as an engineer or a physical scientist. They realize they aren't the smartest person in the room anymore and become shrinking violets.

Educational credentials are also being commoditized and losing their value due to automation, in this case internet education.

These sorts of "intellectuals" are very brittle because they rely on verbal skills, which are ambiguously defined and easy to fudge, and credentials to support their self-identities and self-esteem. That is why they react so sharply to criticism and mockery, because at root they know their identities as superior are fraudulent.
Another "see my point":

White conservatives usually not no more than a bachelors degree in business or engineering. They think their ability to earn money and "common sense" approach to the world makes them better than others. The problem is that people who have narrow educations in business, engineering, and who disparage liberal arts usually focus narrowly on money-making, consumerism, and conforming to what your neighbors and co-workers think that they don't even bother to think outside the box even in minor matters, let alone major ones like moral and ethical issues that no society can remain prosperous or secure for long without.

These "technically" and business educated people usually see a person's value only in economic terms and in general - which explains why they treat their employees as mere "economic machines", basically treating them like robots that lack their own consciousness, will, desires, awareness, and not to mention the physical fortitude of metal and wires. Any time such people talk about political or socio-cultural issues, they show themselves to be unimaginative at best, philistine at middling, and callous at worst.

These people also have a great deal of difficulty finding another basis for their self-esteem other than survival ability (money, power, prestige, charisma/loyalty-inspiring skills) seemingly oblivious to the fact that none of those traits, no matter how impressive or even important, can also be used for evil purposes as well as good ones.

Also, these business and engineering types (and while I'm at it, IT as well) know deep down their lives are empty, so they use their money, "common sense" orientation, and social status to make themselves seem like what they are actually not- fulfilled and content people with a deep sense of who they really are. That's why they react so sharply when confronted by people who believe that money, however important, is only important to the extent that you need it for food, clothing, shelter, medical care, transportation, etc for yourself and your family. Anything more than that is simply an "extra" that has more value as a bragging point than for substantive straits.

AGAIN, see my point?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Oh, I know people who graduated with an eight or twelve year college education, and they look down their noses at the people who only went into a trade skill job right out of high school, and never went to college.

Some of those college grads earning a six figure income, hate their jobs, and still live from paycheck to paycheck.

As long as someone is happy, what should it matter what job or income they have. But some people derive some sense of comfort from looking down their noses at the life style choices of others.
I know a l lot of people with college degrees and advance degrees who do not look down at anyone at all and are generous, successful and happy with their lives.

Maybe it is just the kind of people you happen to know. This is a massive generalization. It would be the same as if I said I know people with no college degree who have a chip on their shoulder and wear their resentment all over their sleeves and some people derive some sense of comfort from looking down their noses at successful college grads.

Works both ways.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
AGAIN, see my point?
No, I'm pretty sure it hit mach 2 flying over his head.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
I prefer being a member of the liberal elite, rather than being a part of the Trump-voting, Jerry Springer crowd!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,628 times
Ok Ok, some people are bound to not get the point behind my two posts (so far) on this thread. So I'll spell it out.

BOTH sides have their unflattering, perhaps nasty, aspects (or traits that the other side construes as such). This entire thread shows how useless stereotypical caricatures are for this society. Let's try to look past our preconceptions for a change. I grew up on a farm, and my brothers farm. They're just as conservative as I am liberal - and even discuss politics with them, very politely and civilized, I might add. We get along despite our differences because we know what basic courtesy and personal respect are.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
I just rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain.

A thread dedicated to bashing people who do not agree with your way of thinking.

How "Coastal Elite Liberal" of you.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So it shows a rich movie star as an example of a white liberal? The typical white liberal is busy working for a living, paying bills, and being just like anyone else--not dressed up in diamonds and being on tv.

What they're talking about are people on the far left fringes of society who look down on all the rest of us. There are people on the far right fringes of society (Bible thumping evangelicals) who do the same thing. Most of us are somewhere in the middle!
I’d venture that bible-thumpers outnumber limousine liberals by an order of magnitude.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Not at all. It's a not so subtle way of saying that STEM graduates are generally smarter than liberal arts and social science graduates.
The university that I work for is specifically trying to get STEM majors more composition classes because they suck at writing - - and that comes from the STEM professors themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies