Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:00 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,429 times

Advertisements

This article is a year old but it sums up how elitist white liberals look at middle America and pretty much at anyone who is not like them and that did not vote their way. I love especially in the article that it states that white liberals are just so annoyed that people are not jealous of their lifestyle and that there are people that do not want to be like them. I am one of those middle class people who do not have the time for such elitist arrogance and could less what they do. I do enjoy watching them implode on themselves though.

https://nypost.com/2017/01/11/why-li...iddle-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
[quote=FKD19124;50642478]This article is a year old but it sums up how elitist white liberals look at middle America and pretty much at anyone who is not like them and that did not vote their way. I love especially in the article that it states that white liberals are just so annoyed that people are not jealous of their lifestyle and that there are people that do not want to be like them. I am one of those middle class people who do not have the time for such elitist arrogance and could less what they do. I do enjoy watching them implode on themselves though.

[/quote]

Everything you said about the left is also true of the right. Might want to bare that in mind before you go blaming everything on just one party.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:13 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
This article is a year old but it sums up how elitist white liberals look at middle America and pretty much at anyone who is not like them and that did not vote their way. I love especially in the article that it states that white liberals are just so annoyed that people are not jealous of their lifestyle and that there are people that do not want to be like them. I am one of those middle class people who do not have the time for such elitist arrogance and could less what they do. I do enjoy watching them implode on themselves though.

Insulating yourself in an echo chamber of similar ideas goes both ways.

Something tells me re-posting this article from a year ago, unsolicited, puts you in that category.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 AM

[quote=reed067;50642505]
Quote:

[/quote]

Everything you said about the left is also true of the right. Might want to bare that in mind before you go blaming everything on just one party.

really? care to explain?

Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Insulating yourself in an echo chamber of similar ideas goes both ways.

Something tells me re-posting this article from a year ago, unsolicited, puts you in that category.
well nobody puts themselves in an echo chamber better than coastal elitist white liberals.
Still see it all the time.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:18 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:

Sounds to me like you’ve been triggered.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,153 times
White liberal elitists are usually highly verbal people who went to college, and often some form of graduate schooling. They think their verbal skills and credentials make them better than others.

The problem is that the value of verbal skills is declining as the number of people who possess them increases. Along with this commodification, technology is beginning to catch up with verbal skills in such areas as the automation of legal work and management.

Verbal people, who lack quantitative and spatial skills, have a big chip on their shoulder when they encounter someone with those latter skills such as an engineer or a physical scientist. They realize they aren't the smartest person in the room anymore and become shrinking violets.

Educational credentials are also being commoditized and losing their value due to automation, in this case internet education.

These sorts of "intellectuals" are very brittle because they rely on verbal skills, which are ambiguously defined and easy to fudge, and credentials to support their self-identities and self-esteem. That is why they react so sharply to criticism and mockery, because at root they know their identities as superior are fraudulent.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:

I read the article.

Where do they use the term "white liberal"? Are all Hollywood elites white? Are all liberal? I get what the article is saying and it has "some" merit. But whites don't have a monopoly on elitism and looking down on the middle class, not everyone in Hollywood is liberal, and sweeping generalizations don't do anyone any favors.

BTW: totally off topic, but after reading your white liberal elites link I followed it to another link. Female Hollywood stars who came forward against Weinstein and then were not invited to the Golden Globes. Victims apparently aren't glamorous enough for such a high profile shin dig:

https://pagesix.com/2018/01/08/weins...523.1514306253

Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I read the article.

Where do they use the term "white liberal"? Are all Hollywood elites white? Are all liberal? I get what the article is saying and it has "some" merit. But whites don't have a monopoly on elitism and looking down on the middle class, not everyone in Hollywood is liberal, and sweeping generalizations don't do anyone any favors.

BTW: totally off topic, but after reading your white liberal elites link I followed it to another link. Female Hollywood stars who came forward against Weinstein and then were not invited to the Golden Globes. Victims apparently aren't glamorous enough for such a high profile shin dig:

https://pagesix.com/2018/01/08/weins...523.1514306253
Most likely they weren't invited because they weren't in anything that was nominated. Just a hunch.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
White liberal elitists are usually highly verbal people who went to college, and often some form of post secondary schooling. They think their verbal skills and credentials make them better than others.

The problem is that the value of verbal skills is declining as the number of people who possess them increases. Along with this commodification, technology is beginning to catch up with verbal skills in such areas as the automation of legal work and management.

Verbal people, who lack quantitative and spatial skills, have a big chip on their shoulder when they encounter someone with those latter skills such as an engineer or a physical scientist. They realize they aren't the smartest person in the room anymore and become shrinking violets.

Educational credentials are also being commoditized and losing their value due to automation, in this case internet education.

These sorts of "intellectuals" are very brittle because they rely on verbal skills, which are ambiguously defined and easy to fudge, and credentials to support their self-identities and self-esteem. That is why they react so sharply to criticism and mockery, because at root they know their identities as superior are fraudulent.
Is this your subtle way of implying that STEM professionals cannot be liberal in their politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies