Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In my entire lifetime I have seen exactly ONE poor person buy a home. (This person was a welfare recipient who bought a home in a declining neighborhood in 1980 from her grandmother for $15,000 with nothing down and payments lower than rent.)

Poor people don't buy homes. Sheesh.

Depends on your definition of poor.

If you define it as borderline sleeping on the street, no job, and just living off government welfare; sure not too many of them can buy a house.

But my definition is a family working low-paying jobs. I have seen many of them buy houses. Yes, ugly shack in the ghetto, but they do buy.

This family of migrant farm workers scraped money together to buy a cheap beat up house in a bad hood and had to live 12 people in a 1 bedroom. Don't tell them they were not poor.

Quote:

Family sells cherished home

Jesus and Margarita had scrimped and saved to buy the house for about $20,000 – $153,500 in today’s dollars – with money from backbreaking labor as migrant farm workers, along with help from relatives in their native Mexico and a usurious loan from a real estate agent.

All the Mosqueda siblings have vivid memories of early mornings when their parents bundled them, barely awake, into the back of a beat-up station wagon. They would drive to Menlo Park to pick cherries, to Gilroy for onions and green beans, or to Salinas for lettuce and broccoli.

Still, to make ends meet, all 12 Mosquedas, plus a cousin, crammed into the downstairs one-bedroom apartment. They rented the upstairs unit to a family of four; another couple leased a garage apartment that Jesus built. In all, 19 people lived in the modest triplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:16 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The places that are being gentrified are places where whites were once displaced.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
“As housing prices fall, white people who cherish their community and culture are mobilizing against....”

Let’s see pbs run a special on white flight. Boom- that’d be racism right there!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:40 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then, to avoid gentrification, poor people should work to stop crime, unless they're just too lazy to do that.
Do you even know what causes crime? And especially, why poor people are more prone to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I have no use for this whiny logic. In the mid-70's we moved into a run-down Brooklyn neighborhood, bought a beat-up old brownstone from an older woman desperate to leave behind the junkies hitting up under her stairs and physically threatening her for money every time she tried to leave the house. It took lots of work, money and a certain amount of courage to turn that neighborhood around and now it's spectacular.

The hell with the whiners and the losers and the junkies who turn other people's lives into hell.
1) I wasn't whining. I was merely explaining what gentrification really is.

2) You are assuming that every single person in a gentrified neighborhood is a junkie and a loser. Or that the solution to crime is to move it somewhere else.

3) Not all gentrified areas are high-crime. Some are just poor. And good people get displaced just as well as the bad ones by skyrocketing rents and property taxes.

4) As people are pushed out, whatever community had been built there, sometimes over decades or generations, is lost. And the original inhabitants are scattered to the winds.

Regardless, I hate cities. They destroy everything good about humanity, and leave only shallow, hedonistic materialism. And while the people who inhabit gentrified areas don't commit much crime(because they don't need to, and have too much to lose), and also while the government might deem them "good citizens"(because they make lots of money, and pay lots of taxes), I wouldn't consider most of them to be good people, in the ways that actually matter.

A bunch of immoral, religion-hating, wordly people, who think they're better than everyone else.

Just look at this thread. A bunch of snobs.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, gentrification does ruin communities, and displaces the people who may have lived there generations, just pushing them somewhere else.

But it does leave in its wake, expensive houses, coffee shops, fancy restaurants, etc.

So who benefits from gentrification? Mostly real-estate investors, and government tax revenues.
I spent about a week last year in Philly near Jefferson Hospital, Had to make the walk to Penn Hospital about twice day, about 8 blocks or so. It was quite a nice area and I would of had no qualms about walking those streets at 2AM. Having my pick of different restaurants for every meal was particularly nice, there was this one place with a neon pig in the window. I was drawn to it like a fly. How can you go wrong with a restaurant that has a neon pig in the window?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:10 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Do you even know what causes crime? And especially, why poor people are more prone to it?

1) I wasn't whining. I was merely explaining what gentrification really is.

2) You are assuming that every single person in a gentrified neighborhood is a junkie and a loser. Or that the solution to crime is to move it somewhere else.

3) Not all gentrified areas are high-crime. Some are just poor. And good people get displaced just as well as the bad ones by skyrocketing rents and property taxes.

4) As people are pushed out, whatever community had been built there, sometimes over decades or generations, is lost. And the original inhabitants are scattered to the winds.

Regardless, I hate cities. They destroy everything good about humanity, and leave only shallow, hedonistic materialism. And while the people who inhabit gentrified areas don't commit much crime(because they don't need to, and have too much to lose), and also while the government might deem them "good citizens"(because they make lots of money, and pay lots of taxes), I wouldn't consider most of them to be good people, in the ways that actually matter.

A bunch of immoral, religion-hating, wordly people, who think they're better than everyone else.

Just look at this thread. A bunch of snobs.
Yeah, I don't much like cities either which is why we moved out of NYC years ago.

I know you weren't whining...and I apologize for portraying you that way. I had no call to be rude to you.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:22 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I have to work on my graffiti and throwing garbage on the ground right next to garbage cans.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Do you even know what causes crime?
Yes, my first undergraduate degree was in Law Enforcement.

Quote:
And especially, why poor people are more prone to it?
Poor people are raised without structure or values.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:55 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The places that are being gentrified are places where whites were once displaced.
Yes, they left by free will. The urban poor nowadays are being displaced becaus3 they can no longer afford to live there.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:36 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
The vast-majority of poor people are renters, who get absolutely nothing from higher housing prices, except higher rents.

But the point is, gentrification doesn't stop crime, it just moves it somewhere else. There is nothing magical about it. It doesn't fix anything.
Then the question isn’t whether gentrification is good or bad, but why crime and poor people go together. And why poor people and minority go together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies