Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:23 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm all for being true to onesself and standing in ones truth and all that, but when we try to apply objections to societal and cultural norms to biology, it's too much imo.

https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/201...oes-that-mean/

Old 12-30-2017, 01:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
I don’t care what people will say about my opinion, but if you were born with a hangdown you’re a guy. If you were born with a Vajayjay, you’re a girl. End of story

I hope people can find peace with themselves and be happy, but you’re one gender or the other. I think the media & politicians blow this out of the water though, quite a hot topic and distraction.

Last edited by BurnInTheMil; 12-30-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 01:57 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
It doesnt bother me one way or the other. The whole "transgenders: where should they go to the bathroom and how should we classify them" is a giant distraction and waste of time.

Its quite crazy. I grew up in LA and live in Texas now. Both California and Texas have opposing stances on how they should deal with it, but the irony is that people here dont seem to care anymore about it than they did there. Its all about how the politicians can keep us running in circles so they can do more stuff behind our backs.

Afterall, where do people think trans people had been using the bathroom up until now?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:17 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hey I'm all for being true to onesself and standing in ones truth and all that, but when we try to apply objections to societal and cultural norms to biology, it's too much imo.

Camille Paglia said the lesson from history is when societies get obsessed with transgenderism, it's a sign of decline (and she's quite liberal, by the way):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BRdwgPChQ

Old 12-30-2017, 03:15 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
It means we are allowed to grab them by the dick or ***** so we know whether to address the person as him, her or it.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:29 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I don’t care what people will say about my opinion, but if you were born with a hangdown you’re a guy. If you were born with a Vajayjay, you’re a girl. End of story

I hope people can find peace with themselves and be happy, but you’re one gender or the other. I think the media & politicians blow this out of the water though, quite a hot topic and distraction.
You didn't read the article though. This isn't about transgendered people.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You didn't read the article though. This isn't about transgendered people.
I read bits & pieces. I do think I misinterpreted this though. My original post is still my opinion overall.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:18 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Camille Paglia said the lesson from history is when societies get obsessed with transgenderism, it's a sign of decline (and she's quite liberal, by the way):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BRdwgPChQ
This X1000!

Old 12-30-2017, 05:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

This was actually a very interesting article. Thank you for sharing it and I'm glad I took the time to read it.

After reading the article, however, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say above. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with the research concept discussed in the article?

It's not clear to me from your comment and I don't want to make assumptions about what you're trying to say here, so if you could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

As someone who has spent a good part of the last 20 years talking with teenagers and their parents, I do think that there seems to be some variability in how teens define what makes someone "macho" or "girly" and where they see themselves on the spectrum in between. I'm not sure this is limited to teenagers though; look around any room of adults and just by the way they talk, dress, and act towards each other, it usually is pretty obvious who thinks of themselves as "macho man", "Sensitive guy" "tomboy" "girly girl" etc.

(For those who haven't read the article, the article explains that the research discussed is NOT about transgender or even homosexuality, or the size of your sexual attributes, but rather about the different ways teens can see themselves along a spectrum from "super macho" to "super girly.")

Last edited by RosieSD; 12-30-2017 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 05:40 PM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
This article is definitely NOT about transgenderism. It's about how 'masculine' or 'feminine' kids think they act or portray themselves. It just says that about a quarter of kinds aren't super girly or super boyish. That's probably no different than it's been in the past to be honest. I remember growing up, there were always the really tough boys who were into sports (and getting into fights), the geekier and quieter nerds, immigrant kids with different cultural norms, and a lot more variations.

But on the topic of transgendrism, I've never questioned my own gender but imagine being transgender would feel like waking up one morning in the opposite gender's body but being the same person on the inside. Wouldn't you freak out and feel like you'd want to get out of that body, or would you just accept it? I don't think those of us who are cisgender can really say there's no such thing as being transgender when you think of it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies