Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wait, what?!?!?!

You sound like Kay from The Godfather

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAJl-wZElg
If you're implying that I'm saying that misinformation doesn't come from our own country, you're incorrect. I'm certainly not claiming that at all.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You think that Russian trolls came up with the idea that a Democrat president might try to give amnesty to the illegals here?

ROFLMAO!!!!

You sir, have been trolled if you believe that.
I'm assuming you're referring to this?

I see falsehoods in there:
there are not 30+ million illegal aliens in the USA
amnesty would not mean the Republicans would ever not win an election again
There was no guarantee how HRC would have handled resident status for these people

This was pure fear-mongering false information, shared by a very influential Conservative.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If you're implying that I'm saying that misinformation doesn't come from our own country, you're incorrect. I'm certainly not claiming that at all.
IT appears you believe that Russians are responsible for people thinking Hillary would give amnesty to illegals.

Do you know why people think Hillary would have given amnesty to illegals? I’ll give you a hint: DACA and California declaring itself a sanctuary state. It’s the actual action of trying to give amnesty to illegals which gives people the idea that Hillary would do a blanket amnesty, not a post by Russians.

I can’t believe I had to actually explain that to you.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Russia (as I an sure you know) has been active in this kind of work since about 2005. The USA is certainly not the first target nor the only target, they would have expertise working in many languages reaching people in many countries through internet media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Sarcasm folks...sorry I did not put the at the end...

Post 91

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
No, you're saying that you're the arbitrator of what is information, what is misinformation, and to what degree it impacts folks.

Hillary and Trump did everything they could to win. Both would literally tear the heart out of a child in front of his mother and eat it if they were told it would guarantee them victory...in whatever pursuit they were in...not just the presidency.

I find Trump to be vastly more entertaining and likeable than Hillary. Doesn't mean a Facebook post from Vladimir would send me over the edge and actually believe he's a decent human being.

Have you gone mad?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Do I believe that, like the US, the Russians use propoganda to try to influence the US?

Of course I do.
Great - that's a start. Better then where we were with many people only a few months ago (when some didn't believe that it was even happening).

Quote:
Do I believe is has any significant influence?

No.
That's your opinion. The engagement figures on some of their divisive, manipulative, and often false content were very high. Often in the thousands, and sometimes in the hundreds of thousands. Fake Russian "honeypot" social media accounts often had hundreds of thousands, or even millions of followers. You're not winning any arguments in "insignificance" with those kind of numbers.

Am I saying their content was MORE significant than other misinformation out there? Not necesarilly, and likely "no". But in a tight election like 2016, small swings are all that is needed to turn the tide.

It's obviously impossible to truly know the real effect (We don't have another Earth to run that experiment on) - but it is silly to argue that there was no significant effect when the election was as close as it was.

Quote:
“Russian collusion” has had the biggest influence by far through divisiveness. For this reason, the Russians are doing all they can to get suckers like you to go bananas over it and start such threads.
Divisiveness was definitely one of their primary goals - if not THE primary goal. They wanted to stir the pot, and they did so very successfully.

They saw already-existing divisions, and exploited them very well.

Keep in mind, we're not talking about "collusion" in this thread. Although, I think it is pretty clear, based on the content (i.e. garbage) that they created, who Russia preferred to have in power in the US.

Quote:
They are trolling YOU, but you’re too naive to get that, which makes it the perfect troll.
I was not trolled by their content - so I don't follow your argument. I don't follow junk news (especially news shared on FB and Twitter!), on either side.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
I'm assuming you're referring to this?

There was no guarantee how HRC would have handled resident status for these people

This was pure fear-mongering false information, shared by a very influential Conservative.
First, we don’t know how many illegals are here, and the estimates vary by millions.

Second, if a few states like Texas, with heavy numbers of illegals, were to turn blue, the GOP probably couldn’t win the WH for the foreseeable future.

Third, most democrats are itching for amnesty.

Finally, this has been a LEGITIMATE concern for conservatives for a couple of decades now with no assistance needed by the Russians.

The fact that you think a major issue for conservatives became an issue because of Russian tweets shows how you’ve been trolled by them.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:

The Russians trolls really had people, even high profile people, dancing to their music and spreading their propaganda for them.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Russians trolls really had people, even high profile people, dancing to their music and spreading their propaganda for them.
I already told you the pay was too good to pass up.

All the vodka I could drink!

Old 01-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
No, you're saying that you're the arbitrator of what is information, what is misinformation,
What?

Quote:
and to what degree it impacts folks.
I am actually not arguing the "degree" - but I am saying it very likely had some effect (a not insignificant amount). And the engagement numbers were very high for a lot of the manipulative, divisive, and often false content.

Was it more powerful than other content, particularly home-grown content? No, I do not think so. But no one is actually arguing that, either.

Quote:
Hillary and Trump did everything they could to win. Both would literally tear the heart out of a child in front of his mother and eat it if they were told it would guarantee them victory...in whatever pursuit they were in...not just the presidency.
OK...

Quote:
I find Trump to be vastly more entertaining and likeable than Hillary.
OK...I mean, that's obvious from your post history.

Quote:
Doesn't mean a Facebook post from Vladimir would send me over the edge and actually believe he's a decent human being.
OK - good for you. Can you speak for the other millions of Americans?

How can YOU argue that it had no effect? Why are YOU claiming to be an arbiter in saying it had no effect on people's thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies