Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I am all for legal immigration and giving people the opportunity to become legal citizens. But I also heavily support illegals being deported and keeping them out of our country.

Wouldn't just a few billion dollars for border protection agents for new vehicles, technology, weapons, additional manpower, etc be a much more efficient use of taxpayer dollars than spending a whole $18B on actually building an enormous cement wall?
.... that works great when you have a president with Donald Trumps view of illegal immigration. you get solid enforcement and you remove those that try to cross... BUT when you have a president like the last SEVERAL who are far less interested in border enforcement you get a different outcome. and you end up with a million or so people born over there, raised over here.. with no legal status.... and a world of hurt trying to figure out what to do with them...

The wall fixes quite a bit of the internal POLITICAL problems we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
.... that works great when you have a president with Donald Trumps view of illegal immigration. you get solid enforcement and you remove those that try to cross... BUT when you have a president like the last SEVERAL who are far less interested in border enforcement you get a different outcome. and you end up with a million or so people born over there, raised over here.. with no legal status.... and a world of hurt trying to figure out what to do with them...

The wall fixes quite a bit of the internal POLITICAL problems we have here.
How does that solve the rest of the problem who overstay visas though?

Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
I agree that manpower and enforcement is the better way to handle things.
1. Remove the incentive for the illegals, which takes zero effort
2. Start jailing politicians and employers who harbor or hire illegals

The illegals will go back on their own.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Agreed

Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I am all for legal immigration and giving people the opportunity to become legal citizens. But I also heavily support illegals being deported and keeping them out of our country.

Wouldn't just a few billion dollars for border protection agents for new vehicles, technology, weapons, additional manpower, etc be a much more efficient use of taxpayer dollars than spending a whole $18B on actually building an enormous cement wall?

A good physical barrier helps the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively. It's foolish not to admit that. It would require less manpower which in the long run would cost more than the wall.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Again, unless we deny their kids birthright citizenship and benefits removing the job incentive won't do it all on it's own. Again, criminals, terrorists and the drug cartels aren't looking for jobs, thus the wall.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A good physical barrier helps the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively. It's foolish not to admit that. It would require less manpower which in the long run would cost more than the wall.
But aren’t sustainable jobs a good thing?

Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
How does that solve the rest of the problem who overstay visas though?

Oh my, obviously visa over stayers will have to be addressed in a different way. So, we should just ignore the border jumpers then where a good wall will deter them? I don't understand how people can continue to make these kinds of statements.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
open borders
open bathrooms
support for antifa

meat and potato political issues for 2018, and 2020.

good luck

Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Again, unless we deny their kids birthright citizenship and benefits removing the job incentive won't do it all on it's own. Again, criminals, terrorists and the drug cartels aren't looking for jobs, thus the wall.
I disagree about the wall, but I agree about birthright citizenship. Unless one parentIs an American citizen I don’t see why everyone who is born here should have citizenship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies